1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelistic plays

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Su Wei, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As in the use of theatre to evangelize the lost.

Are you for or against it and why?

2. Servent

Servent Member

For, if it tells the truth, I am for anything that will bring people to the knowledge of Christ.

3. Baptistgal

Baptistgal New Member

There are quite a few good plays that can evangelize the lost very effectively, especially when they incorporate Bible into the play. I think having a short reiteration of the gospel message afterwards is important, too, along with an invitation to come and find out more from someone there who can help.

I just don't think these plays should ever replace preaching in the church, but I don't think that was what you were saying.

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read an article by A. W. Tozer about the Menace of the Religious Movie. And he makes some points about acting and actors. And he points out that "religious acting" had it's pagan origins in greece.

Some of his key points/ excerpts. He writes:

"I am against the religious movie because:
    1. it violates the scriptural law of hearing

2. it embodies the mischievous notion that religion is, or can be made, a form of entertainment.

3. it is a menace to true religion because it embodies acting, a violation of sincerity.

4. they who present the gospel movie owe it to the public to give biblical authority for their act: and this they have not done.

5. God has ordained four methods only [prayer, song, proclaimation of the message by means of words and good works] by which the Truth shall prevail- and the religious movie is not one of them.

6. it is out of harmony with the whole spirit of the Scriptures and contrary to the mood of true godliness.

7. of the harmful effect upon everyone associated with it. "

Though not exactly pertaining to the evangelistic play, but some of the points raised are pretty valid for consideration. (Even for the evangelistic efforts of modern churches like rock concerts....etc.)

5. wayward son

wayward son New Member

A play can be a very helpful tool in comunicating to the lost their condition, bringing to light and ways we should treat our brothers and sisters in Christ.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither, can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

I believe many will come to be entertained. Only to find themselves lost, wishing to learn more about Jesus and pleading "What must I do to be saved?" The world is LOST! And we must use ALL our talents and tools for Gods purpose.

Wayward Son
    It Does Finally Matter

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I do not personally have a problem with it. It is a tool. Jesus used "similar" tools by having parables.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Actually, we do it for Bible School, our most recent endeavor.