1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelists

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Pastor J, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

One suggestion I have had for evangelists is to stay at a church for a month or more. The schedule would work something like this:

A week of revival meetings followed by two weeks of assisting the Pastor in evangelism and discipleship of the church members. During the next two weeks, the evangelist would take out a number of the men and train them to lead people to Christ. Then maybe a tent type meeting at the end of the month.

The problem with this is two-fold: Cost and Housing. Not all churches have a mission apartment and not all evangelists have a trailer. The cost would be the issue to some churches. However, I believe that if they planned ahead, a 3-4 thousand dollar love offering would be possible if collected in advance.

2. HappyG

HappyG New Member

Pastor J,

I would add 2 problems to the month long idea.

3. You will need to "revive" your people at the end of the whole ordeal literally which I think defeats the purpose.

4. I don't think an "evangelists" can train your people to lead people to Christ better than you can. In fact, people who work secular jobs, live in neighborhoods, participate in community sports and events don't need to go out and "win people." They just need to learn how to share their faith in a way that is appropriate for their personality and abilities to the people that they interact with every day. Don't make them all "sales" people because most people would cringe at having to be a sales person and make "cold calls." But if they are taught to be passionate about their faith and are taught how to share their faith in a way that connects with their personality and abilities and the way that God SHAPED them, they will make a difference in the world that they live in. And the church will be flooded with converts.

Which explains again my previous belief that "evangelism" as is being discussed here is for the most part ineffective at reaching the "unchurched post-modern" community around us.

Just my thoughts....not putting down what you are attempting to accomplish. You certainly can reject my reasoning and the path that I have chosen.

3. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I agree with you on point 4.

On point 3, I was not suggesting having meetings every night for a month. My idea would be to have a Monday Night discipleship course for those interested, and then visitation with the evangelist for the other nights. Not everyone would be going out every night.

I do agree that the greatest impact people can have on the lost is their own life and conversation with people though. I got the idea from a couple old time evangelists who would go into an area to help the pastor. While there they would try to knock on every door in town.

4. aefting

aefting New Member

I think there is a lot of truth in what you have said here. I have gone door-to-door for many years and succeeded mainly in irritating people by intruding on their privacy. My most profitable witnessing opportunities have come from discussing spiritual things with co-workers on long drives during business trips, during breaks at work, or at company softball games.

Andy