1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Evangelizing 2 associates at work ideas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

There should be an ethical rule about continuing to derail a thread with holier than thou comments that have nothing to do but show the petty attitude and self righteous hearts of the hijackers :tear:

All of you should find something more productive to do with your time. IMHO: :flower:

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comments like this?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK, now that I have more information:

Evan, it is apparent you have a heart to evangelize this woman but there are two problems with that: #1 is that your wife saw that you were texting this woman and she has asked you to stop and #2 this woman has said that she doesn't want to continue this. Because of even just the fact that one of these is here, you need to discontinue your evangelizing efforts with her but with both, it is definite. Still pray for her but you need to guard your heart and mind and set up boundaries so that the woman doesn't feel that you are overstepping them in her mind and so you are not offending your wife.

One thing that has helped my husband and me with our relationship is to be totally open. He is a pastor and as such, I understand that there will be times that he will be in contact with someone and I cannot be privy to the information because of privacy but he always lets me know "Jill texted me today because she is having some issues." I do not text men with feelings based things because #1 I'm not a man and #2 I'm not a pastor so there is really no need for me to be texting a man other than for work related stuff. Should a man come to me for counsel, I will refer him to my husband or the number of professional counselors we have associated with church. That is just an area of caution that I take seriously. If my husband has to counsel a woman, there is always another woman in the building nearby who can visually see what is happening.

Evangelizing at work can be a tricky thing and while we say "Don't do it on your boss's dime", let's face it - a LOT goes on each day at work that has nothing to do with work and usually people are not bothered by it. Talking about our cars, our life, recipes, what we're doing for vacation, the news and culture - all sorts of things will be discussed but never cause a problem. I think religion can also be brought into this when we discuss with gentleness more "giving an answer" than "proclaiming the Gospel". What I mean by this is we can bring our faith into a discussion when we talk about things like "I'm going on vacation and I'm looking forward to spending time with my family. We're also going to be visiting a great church I've heard a lot about and I'm excited about it!" or "My church is having a VBS this summer and I know you have kids and I just wanted to give you info on it." and things like that. As I mentioned in my other post on this thread, even just hearing someone saying something about something in their life and offering to pray about it is a great way to bring up your faith in a non-threatening way. BUT when we get into "Hey Mike, you know you're a sinner and you need Jesus" as a conversation starter, then we just might have a problem but if Mike said "What does your faith believe?" then we can briefly and generally give an answer - "I believe we are all sinners and we need a Savior..." kind of thing.

I guess what I'm saying is be diligent in your work, be ready with an answer, live a life that is reflecting Christ, do not overstep boundaries and honor your wife. THAT is how we evangelize in the workplace.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not bring up the whole "chase a rabbit" or post pictures of rabbits. The original poster did this. If that is where he wanted the thread to go, I was merely following his lead.

Petty attitude and self-righteous? What do you call your response (quoted, above) to my satirical deer comment?

Finally, whatever happened to the attitude, "I'll post whatever I want to post, even if you don't like it" that we've gotten from you so many times in the past?

#44 InTheLight, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2015
  5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Know to complicate things. A new co worker has started and opened up with me about her life and many problems. I can't befriend a female nor text a female but my other friend can.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Deanna says she is my friend but no more texting or evangelism chats so I have respected that. If she did not want anything to do with me she would not have said she is my friend.

However she can develop a relationship with my new co-worker whom is hurting and opened up with me about her problems and struggles.

7. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you can't befriend her. YOU ARE MARRIED. As stated by you, your wife has a problem with you texting other women. Your first priority is your wife. You are not practicing Eph. 5 which is one way God shows the World Christ, through the picture of marriage, but you are throwing that picture out the window so you can feel self righteous about helping this women.

I have no idea who your other friend is, but this thread is about you so not sure how that is relevant.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave it be.

9. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My guess is she has s trying to be nice by saying your friends but then you crossed some boundaries and now she is wanting you to back off without hurting your feelings. Given how you treat people on here who hurt your feelings I don't blame her for trying to avoid that. Although given that this is a work setting she has a lot of power she could use if you don't back off.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't say she didn't want anything to do with you. Of course she probably wants just a friendly working relationship but that's it.

"Who" is hurting. Say a sentence out loud and see if it sound correct to see which word fits in the sentence.

Oftentimes women will open up to a man to gain sympathy from a man because they have not gotten it at home. I've seen it a lot. If you know of a good counselor, pass on their name otherwise I think it's totally appropriate to say "I'm sorry you're struggling. How can my wife and I specifically pray for you?" and leave it at that. Since this is a female co-worker, I probably would counsel you to not pray with her there but instead let her know you are praying for her and leave it at that. Then share the prayer request with your wife and ask her to pray with you for this co-worker. This will then keep her in the loop.

11. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Good advice, the combination of the co-worker likely not getting sympathy/attention at her home, and the apparent lack of Evan getting support in his ministry efforts from his wife (and respect) is making for a troubling situation.

Evan, don't be naive, flee this situation. Nothing wrong with being burdened for her salvation, but prayer,your work ethic, and love for your family, should be your methods of doing your part in this situation.

Matthew 10:16 (NKJV)

16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

In the meanwhile get off all of these boards/facebook and spend some time with your wife and step son. They should be your priority!!!!!!

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am only on this board. I no longer post on the others.

13. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Ok then, personally I would love to see some future threads from you with titles like:

Took My Wife And Step-son To the Zoo This Weekend

Going Camping To Colorado Mountains, Any Suggestions On Needed Gear?

Any Tips On Helping Out With VBS?

14. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah bad mouthing your wife was not tolerated over there.

15. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, yes, and yes. Putting his wife and step son above strangers would be a step in the right direction

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

As someone of the opposite sex who is married I can't imagine a relationship other than a friendly working one. Well a personal friend would be above that.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a bit naive. Funny thing is that I don't know that this is a good or a bad thing.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make sense man.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preacher's attitude should not be as well. In my POV a very judgmental person. Oh and I never bad mouthed my wife I simply stated the facts.

20. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if I was your wife I would consider what you said as bad mouthing, and apparently I'm not the only one who thought you were being unloving toward your wife. Of course it is not the first time you have bad mouthed her publicly. There was nothing wrong with Preacher, he was giving you some good advice which you of course ignored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.