1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Evangelizing children

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 7, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with their radical KJV Onlyism, let alone some of their other views. But I still use them (sometimes).

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!!! Indeed so.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

At Halloween the children are coming to you, not you to the children. And they do so (hopefully) under the careful watching eyes of their parents. Approaching a child on the street is a whole different issue.

Yes Jesus welcomed the children, but if you'll notice, the parents brought their children to Him, He didn't go to the children.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Evangelist, you do what the Lord tells you to do. Some folks are going to be offended no matter what you do or do not do whether it involves kids or not. I still go and knock on doors from time to time. I have been told that I might offend someone. Hey, I'm a pastor of a church. Someone is always offended at me for some reason or another. I just keep doing what I know I am supposed to be doing and a small minority is just going to have to be offended.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very wise advice. Yes I have learned this and continue to learn that people wll be offended no matter what I do or do not do. I will never make everyone happy and that is not my goal. I am an evangelist and I am to reach the lost. Children are included in the list of lost people.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not agree. We are to witness to all lost people. I have passed out 10,000 or so tracts in my days, hundreds of which were to kids. I have had less than 7 parents offended or outraged at me. Its a small minority.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and that is good! But I am sure you use common sense as well. For example - if you knocked on someones door - and a young very attractive single lady answered - would you go inside the house - if you were alone? I trust not. Nothing illegal - but as pastors we want to be above reproach.
    Likewise - with children - the problem is not that parents would be offended - rather they want to protect their children from potential harm - as they well should!

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yes, it is about common sense. But, it is also about obedience. If I feel led to give tracks to anyone who passes by no matter the age then that is what I will do. And, mom and dad can just be offended. Personally, I would not be offended. I would simply take the track from my child and read it for myself before I allowed my child to look at it. Some folks need to loosen their shoe laces and chill.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

End of the world is near, Robert and I agree on an issue. My kids are both married, one for five years. We are in our 60s now, as of yet, without grandkids. If the Lord blesses us with such, and we have them out on our own, we will be much more cautious than when ours were growing up in the 80s and 90s. In fact, at the time we were raising ours, we were much more cautious in that area that my parents.

I can see the catch 22 of this situation. We have a Wednesday night children's ministry where we take kids from disfunctional families and have a Bible study, crafts and a snack. For some, it is the only time of the week they get a similance of normal life and love. Even in that situation, we always ensure that there are two adults present at all times. It is a shame that our country has come to this, but it has.

For the record, I admire anyone who goes door to door or hands out tracts or other material for the Lord. This situation though, as Salty said, has to be accompanied by common sense.

10. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

We evangelize kids every Sunday morning...their parents are countin on it. In the end though, the most effective evangelist for a child is their mother or father. You wan to evangelize kids? Disciple their parents!

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Post of the day, right here!

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The post of the day. Amen!!! Yesterday at the hospital I did pas out tracts to both kids and adults. No parent bothered me.

13. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Agreed - I did explain that to her, but her mind was already made up.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of what Paul Harvey. He said he did not believe in sending you kids to Sunday School - a parent should take the kids with them to Sunday School! :thumbs:

My wife works in a hospital - if you were do that at Upstate you would be asked to leave - if you did not, security would assist you in leaving. All it would take would be for one parent to complain. And at Upstate, it would not take long for that to happen. BTW, to even get into the hospital - you need to go thur security and inform them which patient you are going to visit.
    Actually my wife - an employee got into trouble. She gave a Bible tract to a patient - who was an adult - and the parents of the patient had a fit and complained to the staff. Mrs. Salty was given a written warning! :tear:

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People need to learn the law and they need to get lawyers that protect them from people whom hate those that do Biblical evangelism. No I cant open air preach in a hospital, but I am welcome to pass out tracts as often as I please.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First - please do NOT include an ENTIRE quote when, not necessary.

Second, I will get a legal answer for you. May take a few days, but I want to check something out there anyways.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Evangelizing children must be done with great care and discernment. These young minds are easily manipulated, and many of them will to whatever their Sunday School teacher or youth leader or pastor tells them.

We must be very, very sure about where they are spiritually when dealing with children. Mainly, I'm talking here about one-on-one soul-winning evangelism, not just passing out tracts on the street. I really don't see anything wrong with that.

The use of the Sinner's Prayer holds great danger, because it can be mis-used. I have seen it presented as "say these magic words" and you'll be saved. Or, "just repeat after me. Ready? Lord Jesus I'm a sinner...........etc."

By the way, if a child cannot ask God to save him on his own, he has not been properly prepared with the gospel.

Another by the way, when the Lord saved me, I was not asked to pray a prayer. The preacher simply asked if I understand what it meant to be a sinner; did I understand the penalty for sin; did I repent of my sin and trust Christ and Him alone for my salvation? I answered yes. He said, God bless you son, sit down right over there.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a child or youth evangelist. I am a evangelist to adults primarily. However I will pass out tracts and will use the LAW with youth when given an opportunity.

19. TisMe

TisMe New Member

Evangelizing children is futile. Any child can. be manipulated to believe as we do, to preform like a Christian aught. They may learn many scriptures and be in the church choir but firmly believe the example the parents set an actions they take while raising them will be the biggest deciding factor on the path they lead after they move out. How we treat our family and talk about others behind closed doors is what our kids will remember and emulate.

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Excellent post!