1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Even Grandma . . .

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Magnetic Poles, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Millions of taxpayer dollars are wasted innumerable ways. The study would indicate there are no effective programs, not that "abstinence only" is the only ineffective.

I found Wade Horn's quote valuable: “The longer one delays, the fewer lifetime sex partners they have, and the less the risk of contracting sexually transmitted disease.”

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, we demand millions be spent on non-smoking programs and recycling programs and turn up/down the thermostat, and so on with results varying from slight gains to really drastic losses. The results of which cause people to feel unjustifiable feeling real good about themselves.

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

You had me worried there when you said "Grandma".

My grandparent's were all born in the 1910's and '20's. Two of my grandparents were raised strict Church of Christ in rural Bowie Co., TX. One was raised Methodist in rural Georgia and lived on the family farm until he was drafted. My living grandmother was born in east Central TX in a devoted Primitive Baptist family. I have talked with my grandmother and mother before about pre-marital sex, and they both adamantly state that they never once engaged in such a practice. I believe them both. In fact, my mother did not even know what drugs were until she was in high school in the late '60s. One of her friends smoked marijuana.

I doubt the numbers on this poll are accurate.

If it is right, then I am one of the 1% or less that did not engage in such a practice. I have no doubt that my mother and grandmother also fall into that 1%.

If anything, this poll demonstrates that abstinence does need to be taught because it obviously is not being followed through.

Funny how the first figures from this poll are for those born in the 1940's. Those are the very people who were part of the "sexual revolution" beginning in the 1960's. This was the start of the hippie generation.

Why not see number further back than that? It is because, before sex began to be broadcast in front of everyone on a daily basis, in form of t.v., rock music, Playboy, etc, people were more abstinent and believed that chastity was a virtue.

Not so anymore. If you claim to be a virgin before marriage, you are made the butt of jokes.

If you teach that sex is expected, then you should not be surprised when it occurs among children.

The Apostle Paul tells us, if you can not contain the fire, you should marry. Why do we encourage sex and not marriage? If you love someone enought to engage in sex with them, then you love them enough to marry them. Sex is no longer something special between people who are committed to each other for life. It is now just a past time, and I think this poll shows that it began with the baby boomers, and if we don't continue to push abstinence, this attitude will continue with future generations.

Hopefully, the abstinence programs will continue. Maybe I'll start a BB poll about this.

5. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Excelent post hillclimber. Why do liberals harp on abstinence only programs as a waist of money but demand we spend more money on quit/dont smoke anti tobacco programs.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How does this show that abstinence teaching is wasted money? Formal abstinence education is a fairly recent phenomenon. Furthermore, the survey is done by a group committed to having no abstinence education. Lastly, if a bunch of students fail math, should we throw out math education because it isn't working? Of course not. That's just more liberal tripe.

Teach abstinence. It's the only sure bet for your health from STDs.

And teach condom use with a revolver with one bullet. Give the students the gun and a condom. Tell them everytime they use a condom, they are pulling the trigger. Eventually, that bullet will show up in the chamber. Will this be the time?

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Tobacco and alcohol weren't commonly considered drugs back then, I guess.

I suspect that it includes those who slept with their fiancés before the wedding night which probably bumped the number up.

Sure, abstinence and protection. Even after marriage, many couples prefer to delay having children and to limit the number of children they do have. It's fairly rare these days for a woman to have fourteen children.

Also, birth control was illegal in many states, even for married couples until 1936. Condoms did not become widely available until WWII.

This poll was about adults, not children. Is it terrible surprising that sex often occurs among adults, even unmarried adults?

In radical Islam culture (Somalia for one), condom use is illegal and punishable by flogging.