1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Even the cable companies have fallen prey to Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, May 7, 2018.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the gospel is simple(but not simplistic), and that further exposes their wicked hearts. Its so simple that even a child can understand it, yet their wicked hearts reject it.

#41 SovereignGrace, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but I fully believe that Scripture as a whole, does.

What's more, I think that the Lord designed it that way, contrary to men and their efforts at "fast-tracking" it with things like "bible colleges". I do think that the Lord can and does use such things ( note that I did not say, "sponsors" them ), but that His best results are in quiet time with just Him and His words.

I don't trust anything man-made not to be corruptible, no matter how auspicious its beginnings.

#42 Dave G, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm… I’m not really sure how to take this. A company pre-selecting prospects; prospects accepting/rejecting said pre-selection; the offer of selectivity itself; a limited, pre-selected list of selectable items (as a lure); the full list of selectable offerings (not shown); the customer selecting from the full list. Is there more?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No person can fully understand all things perfectly found in the scriptures, as those words are the revealed mind of God unto us.

5. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree, but to clarify, IF I live long enough, I think I will come to the point where I have a very firm grasp of everything that He has revealed in His word. Admittedly, I have a few areas I'm not sharp on, yet.

Why do I state this?

" For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ." ( 1 Corinthians 2:16 )

Believers actually have the mind of Christ Himself...that is what the Scripture says.

" Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. " ( John 15:15 )

" For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;" ( 1 Corinthians 12:8 )

" how that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
    4 whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
    5 which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;" ( Ephesians 3:3-5 )

" But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
    21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth." ( 1 John 2:20-21 )

So, according to God's word, true believers know all things ( or will know as they study Scripture, which is how I understand it ). We also see this:

" All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." ( 2 Timothy 3:16-17 )

All Scripture is given by inspiration and is profitable for many things...so that the man of God ( God's child ) may be perfect, throughly ( completely ) furnished unto all good works. To me, that perfection is a point in time when the fully grown ( spiritually speaking ) child of God will come to the place where he or she will completely understand God's word. Sound impossible? With God, all things are possible.

For me, I can in all honesty say that I am, by the grace of God, getting to where I understand about 99% of His word. Again, God's children have the privilege of going straight to His word, and for Him to teach us all things...things that we will eventually understand.

As I see it, "Calvinism" versus "Arminianism" is not even the deepest we as His children can go, because most people who get this far, in my opinion, still have yet to resolve the "problem passages", which is part of what convinced me that "Particular Redemption" is true.

God has shown me how to resolve most of those passages over the years, and there is the occasional "hold-out", but I know He will show me when He wants to. My job is to keep reading.

Best regards,

Dave.

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    99% Dave?... Are you really sure about that?... Brother Glen:Rolleyes

Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well...

At this point, I'm guessing, but it seems that close. ;) <---- That's a joke. you're supposed to laugh.
    In addition, are you sure you're understanding that passage by every word?

Take another look:

" O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable [are] his judgments, and his ways past finding out!" ( Romans 11:33 )

To me, it clearly states that both His judgments and His ways are past finding out...not His revealed words.

God bless you sir.

#47 Dave G, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must be awesome to have 99% of the mind of God.

I probably won't be interacting with you anymore. With your elephantine knowledge of God I must seem like a gnat buzzing around your head.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You disagree with this?

" For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ." ( 1 Corinthians 2:16 )

I take it literally, and I trust God that, since I, as His child, actually have the mind of my Saviour, Jesus Christ, then it's only a matter of time and diligence for a worthless sinner like me, who has been shown the grace and favor of the living God, to come to a complete knowledge of the truth of His words.

Again, it appears that you misunderstand why I believe what I do, sir. :oops:

I take it that you have never met someone who speaks quite like me, and that dares to humbly lay claim to the promises and benefits of being a believer. We are out here, but with respect, it's probably because most of us just don't "go to church" anymore, so the internet may be the only place you do see us.

Check around for a guy named Will Kinney. Him and I seem to be of very similar, if not the same, beliefs and convictions about a great many things.

As for me seeing you like a gnat, it seems to me that you're reacting to my comments out of anger, which I did not intend to provoke, instead of understanding that it is God who is responsible for anything I might have, so I give Him all the credit. Without Him, I am nothing. Do you resent rich people? God made them rich. Do you resent poor people or handsome people or people with more knowledge than you or I? Then blame God, not the person.

But if I were you, I'd be very careful what to blame God for. He is righteous and we are sinners. We are responsible for our rebellion, not Him. He does as He wishes in the army of Heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth ( Daniel 4:35 ). The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away...blessed be the name of the Lord, etc.

Respectfully, I see you as my brother in Christ, and hope to edify you, not to tear you down.

I wish you well, sir.

#49 Dave G, Jul 14, 2018
  10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know Dave I want to put you to the test... So you know about 99%?... I have a few question that I need answered:Whistling, and a man of your stature and having the mind of Christ would surely know the answer... This fella didn't seem to Job 38 through 41... Brother Glen:D

Oh and welcome to the BB Dave, it just gets better from here!

11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are a believer, Tyndale, you also have the mind of Christ and the very same potential to pick up God's word and understand it for yourself. :)

I meant that statement as a rough estimate, not to get anyone upset with me, and I'm well aware of what Job chapters 38-41 state...basically that without God I can do nothing, which I firmly believe. I am just a man, He is paramount ( above all ).

Do I have confidence that I can understand God's words because I am His child? Yes. Why is this such a seeming shock to some people?

Scripture plainly declares that He is our Teacher and that we can go straight to Him for clarification. George Muller, William Tyndale and many others have stated this over the years.

I suppose it just doesn't get dealt with today from the pulpits.

#51 Dave G, Jul 14, 2018
  12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that the misunderstandings, no matter how carefully I write, are going to conflict with my honesty all over the place ( sigh ).

Thank you for the welcome. :D

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been reading and studying it for over 50 years, and if you know my avatar you know which version I read... I'm a Sovereign Grace Old Line Baptist and its All of Christ and none of me... Brother Glen:)

Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do, sir.
    The very same one I have studied for over 40 years since I was called.

Point taken, sir.

Thank you for the reminder and admonishment. :Redface

#54 Dave G, Jul 14, 2018
  15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
    For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen,
    I still maintain that the prospect of understanding His words completely is possible, given these passages:

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope." ( Romans 15:4 )

" and that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." ( 2 Timothy 3:15-17 )

What do you think the "perfection" being spoken of here is?
    Being throughly furnished unto all good works? Or being perfected both in grace and knowledge?

Depending on which one, I've possibly misunderstood the subject and God's children ( apparently ) cannot fully understand His words this side of Heaven, and we are always held at the mercy of men and institutions of men, never being able to discern for ourselves what God says with confidence.

Doctrine is then based on consensus and history, not on the literal words, precept built upon precept. :(

" But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen." ( 2 Peter 3:18 )

It seems our growth will never be complete until we see Him.

17. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't have an avatar Brother Glen. O O ;) :D

18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have the mind of Christ, but that does not mean we can know 99+% of the bible.

Who has known the mind of the LORD that we may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.[1 Corinthians 2:16]

We have the mind of Christ, but none of us knows His mind that we can instruct(counsel) Him, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek word is αρτιος which means "complete" in the sense of being mature and well rounded. And the older English meaning of "perfect" is "complete; utter" as in
    "perfect strangers."

Neither the Greek nor the English implies "entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings."

"That the man of God may be mature, completely equipped for every good work." The good work, in context, is to expose and denounce the false teachers. In order to expose the false you must have a mature understanding of the true.

And Col 3:16 tells us that is done in the context of those who have been ordained pastors and teachers of the local New Testament church, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another . . ."

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well SG what ever that blue thingy is that says Tyndale1946, that's me... And you are angry starfish... Brother Glen:D

#60 tyndale1946, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018