1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ever wanted to know about officiating football?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by FootballRef, Apr 24, 2017.

1. FootballRef

FootballRef New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask away. I can only really answer at the high school level.

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there really a Hellen Keller School of Reffing?

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I can discern no consistency whatsoever via direct observation--What exactly is pass interference?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The high school level? Is it correct to assume that most, perhaps all, states follow the collegiate rules except for a few exceptions-- 48 minute games, 12 minute quarters; kickoffs from the 40, kicking off out of bounds gives the option of the receiving team taking the ball at their own 40 or a rekick from the 45; in some cases it may be agreed that a nondistrict game (which would not count in the standings for playoff positioning) can end in a tie. And otherwise, do all states now follow the college overtime rules?

I've had some discussion with football officials before, and I've never gotten them to agree with me about calling for a fair catch on a punt and then letting the ball go over and throwing a block. I do not think that should be unsportsmanlike conduct, as the current rule states. One said, "Well, if you call a fair catch, you're saying 'you can't touch me,' so you shouldn't be able to touch them either." I argue: that's true only if you make the catch. If you're fielding a punt, the coverage team can't 'touch you' before contact with the ball whether you call a fair catch or not; but if you flub the catch they can, even if you do call a f.c. Incidentally, I don't think I've seen a punt returner deceive a coverage team without calling for a f.c. by pretending he has the catch when he's 'up' on it going to let it sail over, hopefully beyond the goal line-- but I assume that is not a penalty. It compares to that trick the Rams pulled in 2015. So, to sum it up, IMO that's a good tactic to protect field position when the punt comes down inside the 10 or so.

#4 Alcott, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why when a ref is out of position and has no clue what really happened does he feel compelled to make a call anyway?

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay footballRef here is an easy one, even though you are a high school coach... Who invented the football huddle and why?... No cheating, you should know this one?... I know because it has a special meaning for me... Get it right and I will award you a winner ribbon... Brother Glen:)

#6 tyndale1946, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017