1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ever wondered why?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Oct 28, 2013.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why there is a stairway to heaven, and a Broadway to hell?
    Or, if there is ever a traffic jam on Broadway?

What might you have "ever wondered why?"

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not sure, but I have always taken the broad road to hell as meaning most people will take the easy route, the worldly route, and the road is to accommodate the large number. The route to heaven has no appeal from a worldly standpoint, and only the Christian would bother to take it.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, this reference to stairway reflects the ascent out of muck and mire. In the case of a believer, that of getting out of a sinful world.

Interesting, when you look up the word "Broadway" in the dictionary it refers only to a theater district, as in New York. A place of theaters, restaurants, and bright lights. (Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/broadway?s=t)

No traffic jam! Ever! It's a super greased slide! With no bottom! Kinda make me think one will feel the terror of descent for ever. Believers will walk on streets of gold but no reference to "walking" in hell.
    (Source; My opinion) :thumbsup:

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Matthew 7, NASB
    13 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
    14 "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."​
    There are actually two words used for "narrow" here. The first, in v. 13, is the Greek stenos which means "a narrow strait" as a very narrow body of water through a sea passage. The second is thlibo, which means hard-pressed, or compressed. It is a metaphor indicating trouble, affliction, distress.

The second implies that we make the way narrow ourselves. We are the ones who place obstacles in our own path to serving the Lord in this life, and to righteousness and eternal life. We don't walk a path that is intentionally narrow, we make that path narrow by our own actions. We stack obstacles ahead of us in our walk.

Think about it.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless if one is a cal/arm/non cal, the sobering thought is that Jesus stated that MANY morethen "make it" will refuse Him and keeping heading down the long and winding road to destruction!

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why it's generally believed that the passage is referring to eternal reward or punishment in heaven or hell.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your post was thought provoking and well taken. I read an article once that said at least 80% of the trials and tribulations are either directly or indirectly a result of our own decisions. We cannot control some things, like tornadoes, deaths in the family, a job loss, etc, but most things come around, maybe sometime later, because of decisions we made contrary to what the Lord teaches or common sense.

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this post.

I would add that I wish the NASB had been a bit more consistent in the translation.

13 "Enter through the narrow gate (stenos); for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
    14 "For the gate is small (stenos) and the way is narrow (thlibo) that leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Unfortunately, some who read this assume that "narrow" is the same word in verse 13 and 14.

In my opinion, the translation would have been better had it been:
    Enter in by the small gate: Because the gate is broad and the way spacious that leads to damnation, and plenty enter in that way, Because the small gate and the troubled route leads to life, and very few agree to perceive (obtain) that.

Again, my translation work is totally submissive to the Greek scholars on the BB and I would submit to any changes they are compelled to indicate.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Few are they that find it' is contradictory to 'a great multitude, which no man could number'. Mt 7:13-14 is prophetic, spoken by 'the Prophet, and directed to 'that generation' of Jews on whom the 'consummation of the age' was coming, most of whom which God was not well pleased, and He sware in His wrath that they would not enter into His rest, and they were broken off from the New Covenant.

'Few are they that find it' is reminiscent of 'the Exodus (or wilderness) Generation' whose numbers have been estimated as high as 2.5 million and of which only two (2) (Joshua and Caleb) of that generation made it into the promised land. The rest entered not in because of unbelief. Even Moses and Aaron entered not in because of unbelief. The Exodus Generation is used several times as examples in the NT. I believe Christ is alluding to it here in the Sermon on the Mount. Few would be the Jews that would find or enter into the sabbath rest of Heb 4:9.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Why do we park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to the OP.

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't remember ever thinking of that!

:)

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting....but no....I never wondered why.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's Bush's fault.

HankD