1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Everybody Loves Raymond

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was watching a rerun of "Everbody Loves Raymond" tonight. In the epsoide, Ray goes to the hospital as a volunteer. He talk to a lady who needs to take a pill. The lady tells Ray, she has never been in a press box. Ray response that if she wants to get in the press box, she will have to take her pill to get better.
    The (black) lady response "You tricky little white boy" Of course the entire audience was laughing

Question: had that been reverse and the statement was "you tricky little black boy" what would have been the outcry?

Salty

PS, this on the day the girls at Rughters plan on suing Imus for that "remark" he made about the (entire) team

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Need you ask? :tonofbricks:

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Maybe white folk arent as sensitive as blacks. I dont think a comment like "tricky little black boy" would bother blacks until Rev Sharpton and Jesse Jackson tells them it bothers them.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Obviously you should repent of the sin of watching TV.:laugh:

5. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I think it depends on if you acutally hear racial slurs or are hurt by racial discrimination. The jokes just aren't funny then.

Its a lot like when I go to our associational pastor's breakfast and tell the baptist pastor next to me a joke about a baptist pastor. We laugh.

When I hear someone on TV that believes Christianity to be the same "terrorism" as the folks who attacked the WTC on 9/11 tell a joke about Christians, it offends me.

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I always find it an odd thing when people are so bothered about whether or not a minority group is being too sensitive or not. Or if something should bother them or not. The fact is if you are not a minority you really don't know how you would feel if you were, so why be judgmental of those that are. If something does bother someone, and it doesn't effect you, personally why does that bother you? I just don't get the obsession with the question, is someone is being too sensitive? As a Christian if something genuinely hurts another person that should concern us more, not whether their response at being hurt is appropriate in our eyes. How can you tell someone how they should feel? Maybe the point is. it is how they feel.

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Because racism has become an excuse to be a victim to extort money from corporations, and belittle those who they disagree with. It is nothing more than a political tool rather than a statement of fact. And we are not going to just sit around and cater to disengenuine claims of racism based on ridiculous notions. These hypersensative and false claims continue to work up unnecessary hatred and anger where none is deserved. It has become atool to gain power and money. These false and hypersensative claims effects everyone.

8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

What claims? It was a joke about a white guy on a TV show. But now you are worked up and pointing fingers at a race of people when nothing was even done or said! I can't believe people sit around and think like that. Putting words in peoples mouths, just to justify being angry with them. Basically looking for any reason to be angry at blacks.

I am not a fan of the Jackson and Sharpton tactics. But I find it real telling when people just are looking for reasons to point fingers at minorities. This entire post is a manufactured nonevent, and yet you are "not going to just sit around and cater to it? "

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see this as a non event. The orginal question was: if a white man had said " you are a trick little black boy" what kind of response would we have seen.
    Maybe nothing would have hapened. Lets see, why not ask Imus?

This is a valid point to bring up beacuse what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I know people who are genuinely hurt when I present them with the salvation message.

I also know people who are genuinely hurt when I tell them that there is only one way to be saved.

I also know people who are genuinely hurt when you show them in the Scriptures that they are accountable for their actions.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

We're told that nation shall rise against nation.

That's ethnic group against ethnic group.

It's serious business, and as was pointed out, it's now a political weapon.

12. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

And sometimes it might be worth telling something even though it is hurtful...but the OP is about a joke. I don't think the value of a joke comes anywhere near the gospel.

Of course what is exceptable as humor in entertaiment varies greatly. Don Imus lost his job over a comment whereas Family Guy and South Park regualrly make racists jokes.

I wouldn't expect the world's standards to make sense, but as Christians, I don't see humor as a a good reason to offend someone.

13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Your post makes absolutely no sense to me. Are you saying because people might be hurt by the things you mentioned, that it is all right to hurt someone with an insult about their race? You really seem to be make no point at all, except try and show another way someone might be hurt where it is justified. Are your really implying what it sounds like, that to hurt someone with a comment about their race is justified? I just don't understand your analogy at all.

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

It is a non event, because it didn't happen. You are making up a scenario in order to then imply blacks would act poorly in your mind. Then post that scenario here in order to get others to support you in those feelings. The fact that you watch a show and see a joke, and then get so focused on how blacks would react that you post a thread about it is very telling indeed.

You obviously have some strong feelings about black people.

15. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Apples and oranges....

Regards,
    BiR

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apples and oranges.
    Imus supposdley made a racist remark about females.

The charcter in the op made what could have been construed as a racist remark. "You little Tricky white boy" The question is why did she include "white". Why didn't she had simply said "tricky" and leave race (white) out of it?

I think the overall problem is that many of us are just too plain sensitive. My slolgan is "call me what you want, just dont call me late for supper" or as we use to say, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" It seems as though theese days, you need a check list to make sure you dont offend anyone.
    Suppose you have a group of 50 people and you tell a joke. 48 thinks it funny, but only 1 thinks it is offensive.

Salty

17. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Everybody Loves Raymond is fiction. The "trickly little white boy" is not a real person. Imus made a comment about real people.

There are a few successful TV shows that commonly make racist remarks towards all races and continue to do well. Family Guy and South Park come to mind. As Christians, we know better than to offend people for the sake of humor, but if the point you are trying to make is that people are too sensitive, I think there there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.