1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

evil and adulterous generation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Jul 25, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Mt 12:39 -But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Were they evil because they wanted a sign or were they evil because they were lost eternally? Use scripture to support your response.

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I believe your scripture use answers your own question.
    "An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign."

They were evil because they sought a sign.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Is there any other scripture to support your position?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thats not what the passage says. It doesn't say "A generation which seeketh after a sign is evil and adulterous."

It simply states a facts, the generation that is evil and adulterous seeks sign.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is just my opinion.

It isn't sinful to seek a sign if is it verification that you are lined up with God's will, but it is sinful to seek a sign that is "proof" that God is telling the truth.

Gideon asked for a sign. He asked twice. He was given the sign that he asked for and he was made victorious by God. So in this sign-seeking, there is a distinction in the motivations.

These people were called sinful because they weren't REALLY looking for a sign. They just kept drawing the line in the sand over and over and wanting Jesus to cross it.

My church is doing a study of Matthew right now (we are on chapter 8) and just according to what we have studied so far and this is just my opinion....

...if they didn't accept the signs of His perfect teaching....Sermon on the Mount, His healings, His authority over nature (calming the storm), and His casting out demons, then they were NOT genuinely seeking a sign that would encourage them that they were in God's will.

The were demanding proof when they already had proof. They wanted to twist the sign around to prove that Jesus was NOT who He said was, not justify any submission to Him. Ergo, they did not believe and did not want to believe.....only to discredit.

That was the sin.

#5 Scarlett O., Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

:sleeping_2: "An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign," is scripture.

Anyway seeking a sign, in effect, is saying I do not believe you. I need more evidence. Now granted the disciples on occasion asked for signs.

Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what [shall be] the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

John 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
    :25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

But for the generation of Christ there was a sign given,
    Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Jesus further testifies to this in Luke,

Luke 11:29 And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.
    :30 For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

The Son was the sign and that was enough.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this context, yes. These people sought a sign because they didn't believe.....they didn't even want to believe. They sought a sign when they already had one and because they were already evil in their hearts.

They were not evil because they sought the sign. Just the reverse. They sought the sign because they were evil.

In the context of Gideon and Thomas.....no. Gideon wanted assurance that he was understanding God and that he was in the center of God's will.

Thomas had concrete proof that Jesus was dead. The disciples told him that they had seen Him. I'm sure that he thought they were being deceived by someone so he simply said that he would have to see the irrefutable evidence to believe it. He wasn't questioning God. He wasn't doubting any evidence. He has NO evidence. When He did see Jesus, he declared, "My Lord and My God!".

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

So, are these people Jesus is speaking to lost? the intended focus of thsi thread is to speak to the spiritual condition of those seeking a sign.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe so. These are the same people who just a few verse back had blasphemed the Holy Spirit after seeing Jesus heal people and cast out demons on the Sabbath.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Of course, and it states a fact, "...An euill and adulterous generation seeketh after a signe, and there shall no signe be giuen to it, but the signe of the Prophet Ionas."

Not, "... Because this generation seeketh after a signe it is euill and adulterous, and there shall be no signe giuen to it..."

God's word is clear as a bell here. Seeking after a sign is what an euill and adulterous generation does, it is not how they become euill and adulterous.