1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Exchange Students

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are organizations that have foreign exchange students with other countries.

How about this? Have Christian Schools have a USA exchange program.
    For example, a student from Texas exchange with a student from New England. A Student from Virgina exchange with a student from Montana?

Even if its only for one semester?

Thoughts?

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What would be the point?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same basic principal as the foreign exchange program.

Learn about other parts of the USA first hand, and make new friends

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I wouldn't really see the need for that, as the language is the same and American culture is American culture. Studying in another country is a rare opportunity, while people can easily move around the states.

Yeah, I think it's good to get out and learn first hand what our own nation has to offer, but it just doesn't really seem justified to base an exchange student program on the idea. It could also have a negative impact on the student's education as different high schools have different graduation requirements, sometimes even between districts and that makes it difficult for even the best students if they move during their high school years. That would mean that they'd have to give breaks to exchange students, then you'd have every family who moves out of state crying unfair and want their kids to get the same release from graduation requirements and start a whole snowball of educational fraud going on with expectations being lowered for graduation requirements.

I could say doing this as a glorified field trip type thing for credit. Maybe just go for two weeks max to another school in another state, taking advantage of anything educational the area has to offer, such as museums, landmarks, etc.. That way it wouldn't interfere much with the studies at the student's own school.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I disagree - Culture among Americans is quite diverse in different parts of the country.

I am curious as to how many people have never been out of the State or Commonwealth they were born in.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My daughter is going to SC for 2 weeks to be bridesmaid and to sing at my ex-pastors daughter's wedding and I'd bet it will be a bit of a culture shock (southern accents and all) to her even though my daughter has been to Spain.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like a good idea, but the issues that Gina brings up are real. Also, the academics and social issues (for lack of a better word) are very different from Christian school to Christian school. There are huge variations between "Christian schools."

Then throw sports, the arts or other activities in and you've got some real problems. I like her alternative - perhaps a two week trip -- perhaps during the summer.

8. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Most students I know are really slammed with time. They have AP classes (and AP tests), they are studying for their SATs & ACTs, they are involved with sports -- most of which are year round (or near year round) and they are involved with orchestra, drama, band, etc. This doesn't include time with church, youth group, clubs, etc. I think it would be very difficult to take them away from school --- especially during their junior and senior years.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't let my kids do this, not even with other "Christians." My kids are just too precious to trust with total strangers.

We had an (unsaved) foreign exchange student for a summer, sponsored by the Lion's Club. We will never, ever, ever, do that again!

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Question: what was the issue with the foreign exchange student? High school or college? Just wondering, as we have thought of doing this.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Another way to accomplish this (to a degree anyway) is a joint youth mission trip with another church. We did this some time ago. The teens got to meet other teens from a totally different part of the US.

It was quite interesting. Though the language is the same, the sub-culture was quite different (Miami versus Kansas - can it get further apart??). Once they quit judging each other (especially the girls), everyone got along quite well and actually learned a lot about each other.

12. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOTS of different issues, with morality being on top. Our girl was 17 and turned 18 while she was here. (High school age) Europeans do not have the same morals we do, and they treat their teens like adults. Our girl couldn't understand why she couldn't do anything she wanted, whenever and wherever she wanted--and she didn't like the concept of following our house rules concerning boys, tv programs, going to bars, walking the streets, you name it. She did not comprehend the possible dangers that we have here in the USA and what that could mean to her or our family. Her concept of life in the USA was what she had seen on TV shows like "friends" and she didn't understand that we Americans don't all just sit around partying--that we have jobs and bills to pay and responsibilities.

We were told to treat her the way we would our own daughter. . .she had the impression she could live a wild life and use us for free room/board. Those two expectations did not mesh well.