1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Executive Committee Increases Salary Structure in The SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Think about our armed forces defending our country. How would you like to get shot at for $1200 a month while your wife and small child are 10,000 miles away and can't make ends meet?

Or how about being inside a submarine without contact with your family for 8 weeks?

What is even more interesting is that these men and women volunteered to serve their country. God bless our armed forces.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The raises come at a time when there are many things that are damaged due to the storms.

3. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you know, they must be able to pay for their losses, but of course, so does everyone else.

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I served on the Executive Board of the AZ So Bapt Conv for 4 years and on the AZ Church Growth Board for 3 years. I asked every year what the State convention staff made, as we were the ones serving as the trustees of the convention. I was told that I did not need to know what specific individuals made, and to just vote for the budget that had a block of general salaries for all staff. I kept asking and inquiring. I left the Growth Board 7 years ago and have not been asked to serve again. I have seen those who dont ask but go along get asked back time after time even thought you are only supposed to serve a 3 year term and then set off. Curious.

Bro Tony

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

someone mentioned it in this thread, but is it common for smaller churches in the SBC to have a hard time paying their own pastor, and yet still have to pay a "tribute" to the convention?

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

bapmom---noone "has to" pay tribute---a church does it out of their own free will.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Oh, I see......thank you blackbird.

So if they don't pay does that take them out of the SBC? or are they still in if they want to be?

8. tenor

tenor New Member

Technically, if you do not give through Convention causes, you are not an SBC church. It is through the voluntary cooperation that you become a "member" of the SBC.

My own preference for the importance of finances: local chuch, local association, stat convention then national convention.

Tim

Tim

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

no buckster would not be that burden to all those people. buckster walks to church and his vehicle is a 1985 Grand Marquis. and he is happy that God provided that.

I think a lot more people should be getting angry. and you probably would if you knew what all your Assoc. money is going to support.

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

bucks,

I'd be angry if I was in an SBC church, but then, thats part of why Im not in an SBC church.

11. buckster75

buckster75 Member

my under standing is that is you want to fly the SBC colors you must pay.

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

many other Assoc. have the same problems. which sorta brings up anothe rquestion. why all the associations? seems to me a mission board here and a mission board there . sending their own missionaries into the same area a lot of over head and then on top od that it is duplicated by another assoc.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now you know how connected they were to the BFA.

14. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Yes I do..... And it was and is hard to find a man of integrity in this whole mess. What is the convention afraid of? I like the old axiom,
    "trust the Lord and tell the people".... I put my faith in the Lord and not man.

Bro Tony

15. tenor

tenor New Member

Generally speaking, "Associations" in my understanding are more local in scope, allowing a group of churches in proximity to other to come together for ministry that possibly could not be carried alone.

As to mission sending organizations, I think we can boil that down to not trusting other Christians. We must have "Our own" on the field. I grew up in an SBC church, and found it interesting that people would say things like, "There's no church in that community," when there 2 or 3 othe Baptist churches, along with Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. Often different groups were adressing the same ministry needs and often "in competition" with one another.

Coordination is key.

Tim

16. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I agree with you on the coordination.and in my opinion it does not exist even within the group (SBC or BMA etc) let alone between the groups. is it necessary to send a SBC man if BMA has 3 or 4 in the area? seems like a gigantic waste to me.
    SBC and BMA have national associations so I am not sure what you mean by local.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes I do..... And it was and is hard to find a man of integrity in this whole mess. What is the convention afraid of? I like the old axiom,
    "trust the Lord and tell the people".... I put my faith in the Lord and not man.

Bro Tony
    </font>[/QUOTE]Many are climbing the demoninational ladder but not the ladder of a relationship with God. If you buck the system they will black list you. A few years ago I wrote to one of the former presidents of the SBC and he told me just to move on and forget what happened. I wrote him thinking that he would take a stance when he did not. But yet the convention will take your money.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Bro Tony
    </font>[/QUOTE]Many are climbing the demoninational ladder but not the ladder of a relationship with God. If you buck the system they will black list you. A few years ago I wrote to one of the former presidents of the SBC and he told me just to move on and forget what happened. I wrote him thinking that he would take a stance when he did not. But yet the convention will take your money.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am serving as Associational Representative on the Mississippi Baptist Convention's Executive Committee---and am also serving on the SBC's Committee on Nominations---and believe me---its a whole lot easier to climb the ladder of relationship with God than the denominational one----if you are one who lets it "get to ya"---then the only advise I can give is---just walk on and let someone else do it. To be honest with ya---I didn't put up any struggle to get these state and SBC positions----truthfully---if I had to "run" for one of these positions---I just flat out wouldn't do it---my advise is---relax---be cool!!!

19. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I am hearing what both you are saying. Bro Blackbird I hope you dont get hurt. It could be that you have yet to see what GB and I are talking about. I sincerely hope that you dont have to because your state convention is run with integrity. But I would also encourage you to not so easily sluff off what has been shared. To tell those who are genuinely concerned for mis-management and politics that disregard individual and churches to "relax--be cool!" demonstrates that you dont know what others have gone through. There are pastors who are concerned for the proper use of their churches gifts to the denomination. And there are those of us who have served and seen practices that would break the Lord's heart. I have personally, many times, approached those in leadership to no avail.

You are certainly free to serve in any capacity you feel lead, but please dont disregard what you have not experienced as if it did not happen. And please dont tell those who are genuinely and biblically concerned for the direction of our convention(s) that their concerned is misplaced.

Now that I have shared that, I am glad you are doing well after the hurricane. I am glad to see the convention and many states stepping up and meeting needs. I appreciate the good things that are done, but that does not excuse the mis-deeds.

May God bless all His people as they walk in Him and may they have the attitude of "Whatever we do in word or deed, we do it all in the name of our Lord Jesus".

Bro Tony

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Impropriety ought to get to us just like the money changers did to Jesus.

When you get a chance read http://www.rickross.com/groups/bfa.html

Then you will know what many of us experienced.