1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Exegesis of Ephesians 2:8&9

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Corry Cox, Apr 9, 2004.

1. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

We know we are justified because Christ says we are justified (John 3:16). All that is needed for our justification is the love of God, the merit of Christ, and faith given by Holy Spirit that receives the promise of the gospel.

We do good works not to prove our faith but to persevere in the faith.

2. Me2

Me2 New Member

good works are "works wrought by God" in man.

1Jo 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

1Jo 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

faith (of God) requires "works" (of God) to justify its reality.
    the two witnesses.
    the hearing of "the word" and the receiving of its corresponding understanding (revelation).
    "hearing and seeing"

God has given man corresponding proof beyond faith that his word is true. he gives man power to love and forgive and offer mercy towards those deemed by man as unworthy. God has given man proof beyond mans individual reasonings that God is infinitely mercyful and infinitely understanding when reason appears non existent to man.

by Gods standards it is the righteous giving its life to the unrighteous.
    Because this is God. and this is his "work".

Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

good works are of God. eph 2:9 speaks of carnal works of man. how can man forgive a sinner?. because it is God who forgives. man meerly agrees that this work of God is correct. it is God who is expressing his nature and character throiugh man. sovereignty and agape love. it is man lowering his opinion and declaring God is the victor in truth.
    it is man dying to his self choice and being "resurrected" to a new level of truth from error by God working in man.

3. BrotherJoe

BrotherJoe New Member

Brother KJV Warrior:

YOU: Brother Joe,
    Just out of curiousity, what is a primitve Baptist? never heard of it before.

ME: KJV warrior sorry for taking awhile to get back to you. Im providing a link from our Primitive Baptist webpage that tells our doctrine of salvation with supporting scripture. http://www.pb.org/abstract.html Also, here is a link to one of the churches articles of faith http://www.pb.org/articles/pbfaith.html

(By the way, I dont know if it says this on the link, but we are basically KJV only like yourself.)

If you still have any questions after reading the link please feel free to drop them to me!

May God bless you,

Brother Joe

4. BrotherJoe

BrotherJoe New Member

Brother John:

YOU: All that is needed for our justification is the love of God, the merit of Christ, and faith given by Holy Spirit that receives the promise of the gospel.

ME: We are eternally and legally justified by God because of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ ALONE.

"8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now JUSTIFIED BY HIS BLOOD, we shall be saved from wrath THROUGH HIM.
    10 For if, WHEN WE WERE ENEMIES, WE WERE RECONCILED to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be SAVED BY HIS LIFE." (Romans 5:8-10)

This verse makes it clear his blood justifies us, it even says we were reconciled to him when we were still his enemy. Christ said, "It is finished" and he did finish it."Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification. " (Romans 4:25)

When we hear the gospel and respond in faith we are then justified in our human experience, our minds. We become aware that Christ has already reconciled us as Romans 5 states.

Remember, Abraham himself, the model of justification by faith. He obeyed God by coming out of his home land of UR to follow God (GENESIS 12), BEFORE scripture states that " he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness"(GENESIS 15:6) when he offered up his son. Abraham, was regenerated prior to offering up Issac. Scripture itself states " By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went" (Hebrews 11:8) This happened in Genesis chapter 12, three chapters BEFORE scripture states that " he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness"(GENESIS 15:6). Hence Abraham was a child of God before scripture says, "ABraham believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness"(Genesis 15:6)

If one has to verbally hear, understand, and recieve," the promise of the gospel" presented by man, then what do we do with infants who die in infancy and the mentally handicap?

Saved by grace,

Brother Joe

5. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Brother Joe,

When we hear the gospel and respond in faith we are then justified in our human experience, our minds.
    We can not be justified by our response to the gospel because dead people do not respond. We are freely justified when we believe we are forgiven for Christ's sake who by His death has made satisfaction for our sins.

If one has to verbally hear, understand, and recieve," the promise of the gospel" presented by man, then what do we do with infants who die in infancy and the mentally handicap?
    The Holy Spirit works faith when and where it pleases God in them that hear the Gospel.

6. BrotherJoe

BrotherJoe New Member

Brother John:

YOU:We can not be justified by our response to the gospel because dead people do not respond

ME: I agree.

******ME:If one has to verbally hear, understand, and recieve," the promise of the gospel" presented by man, then what do we do with infants who die in infancy and the mentally handicap?******

YOUR RESPONSE::The Holy Spirit works faith when and where it pleases God in them that hear the Gospel.

MY SECOND RESPONSE: Do you thus conclude they all go to Hell or or that perhaps the Holy Spirit regerates some of them, independent of the gospel? (Remember John the Baptizer, he was quickend by with the Holy Spirit from the womb)

Enjoy your weekend,

Brother Joe

7. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Brother Joe:

John heard the outward word of the gospel: "as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy." Luke 1:44

[ April 17, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: John Gilmore ]