1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Exegesis Papers at YOUR Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by kathleenmariekg, Jul 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What were the exegesis papers like at your seminary? There seems to be a lot of variation in what schools require.

I am curious about schools that focus on using fewer resources. Do you agree or disagree with a focus on the text and references? Do you think the reasons stated are the real reasons? Or sometimes a cover up for a poor library and teaching that diverges from the majority of published academic works? On the other hand, do you think some schools have an overreliance on the words of man instead of the text?

Is the "Parable of Exegesis" a common reading assignment? I kind of enjoyed reading the story.
    https://libguides.northcentral.edu/ld.php?content_id=24010470

2. Jec81

Jec81 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mine is heavy on resources.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you like it that way?

4. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exegesis BEFORE first year Greek and all the other basics:

How does/did your school accomodate students that had not completed the foundational skill and survey classes needed to actually do an exegesis? Do they delay these assignments and systematically prepare students to do them "right" or do they just throw 13 page papers at first-year students? How do they grade these assignments from first year students?

Did your school grade harshly for correct Turbian/Chicago/SBL formatting? Did they teach it, or just expect it?

5. Jec81

Jec81 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is what it is. I have found noshed my third chapter and am 30 pages in, working on chapter four now. I took three days before starting it to align all my quotes so it would give a more quick turn around. I am currently awaiting my revisions request from my advisor. On chapter three as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    brutally so. There was an entire class for that along w working exercises. I always farmed out Final Drafts of papers there, I just did not have time to do them.

7. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an excellent question.

The 2nd seminary from which I graduated, Central Baptist in Plymouth, MN, focuses on Exegesis, plus a healthy dose of resources. The Library is excellent and we have access to Luther Seminary, the largest Library west of the Mississippi. I have to say that it's purpose is to graduate Fundamentalist pastors, but they education was world class.

8. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Total off-topic comment, no need to reply:
    Luther Seminary may be the most liberal seminary in the nation. Birthplace of the Jesus Seminar, famous for its color code of words Jesus actually said, probably said, probably didn't say, definitely didn't say.
    Luther is pumping out godless seminary students like an empty pez dispenser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.