1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by donnA, Jun 22, 2009.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

what do you do for excerise, and how often do you do it, and why?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I try to do a little bit of work on muscle toning becasue I've lost a lot of muscle when I lost a lot of weight, I can tell because I am not anywhere near as strong was I used to be, just a few years ago.
    We also spend a lot time walking at mammoth cave park, we love the trails.
    We wanted to get some bikes but we determined our knees probably couldn't take it, so we passed.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Because of arthritis and bursitis pain, I had to give up on daily walks, and swimming is too painful. The pain in my feet and knees prevents me from doing any exercise that requires them. The pain in my shoulders and upper arms prevents me from doing any exercise that requires those.

Being diabetic I'm tired all the time and drink nearly a gallon of water per day due to constant thirst (one of the symptoms of diabetes).

I have a high tolerance to pain medications, and even prescription pills do very little for the pain. "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

wow, thats really bad. we should be glad when are able to do any type of excerise at all I guess.

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not have any drug or food allergies, just a severe exercise allergy...I get palpitations just thinking about it.....

I do however try to walk every day or putter about the garden:thumbsup:

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We use the "Chi Machine" - a non-impact aerobic exerciser where you lay on the floor and it does the work!!

[​IMG]

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

how does that work Dr Bob?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It doesn't :)

It's good for circulation and the lymph system, but I don't believe it can be qualified as an aerobic machine or exerciser. There are no short cuts to fitness.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

It has occured to me, I mispelled the title. Sorry, someone could fix if they were to read this.
    One day I got to learn to type. I misspell a lot because of it, guess you noticed.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I read briefly about it today, and I think your probably right.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently going to physical therapy at the VA, due to a service connected injury. I also try to go out and walk for about 20 minutes a day at least 3x a week. One main reason is that I am way over weight.

12. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It is really hard to do any kind of exercise at all that would benefit me since I can't breathe well at all due to COPD. Sometimes I have to use my oxygen just to get the laundry done. :(

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess I should see myself as being very fortunate, I can walk and do stuff, mostly I just chose not too. Now I think I'll have to rethink that pratice of mine.
    Not that I don't get exercise. We go to mammothe cave weekly and soemtimes more i the summer and walk a lot, and I walk here near home, just don't go as far here at home.

14. Spinach

Spinach New Member

With such nice weather, I'm out and about often. I walk 2+ miles every morning while listening to a series on the book of Romans through my headphones. During the day I'm working in the garden or cleaning the house or canning something. In the evening I like to bike ride or take a family walk. Lately the kids and I have taken to racing up one road and down the next to see who gets the fastest time. I lose every single time. LOL!

I've lost 8lbs in 7 weeks just doing the above.

15. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I weight train/body build, sometimes a split workout 5 times a week, other times a full body workout 3 times a week. I'm still finding out what this aging body can handle and what kind of progress I am capable of. I do it because it makes me feel and look better and know that it will improve the quality of both my physical and mental life.

16. Annie5

Annie5 New Member

I run 2 miles every morning. I need to cut down more on sweets and snacks, though. If I were doing that, I know I'd be seeing quicker results. I exercise because after having five babies (the last of which weighed ELEVEN POUNDS at birth), my weight is now over what it was when I was nine months pregnant with my first. IOW, I've packed on about 35 pounds since before I had kids.

I've tried weights and such in the past, but those have only made me bulkier. I'm trying to tone and slim down, not build up.

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There are a few health issues that prevent normal workouts, so for now I've taken up walking - a lot! I love it since I couldn't do it for quite a while, but now am on the right medications and not using a walker. In fact, I can go for miles! It is SO cool, and something I didn't totally appreciate until I could do it again.

The downside to the med is that it keeps me from losing weight, so I can go for miles and hardly eat, but still have the weight. However, I can definitely feel the difference and that makes me happy. I don't get winded like I used to, and it's very enjoyable to watch birds and critters or people and cars and just see different things! It's a time to be quiet and calm, and I usually do it before the kids are up and then again during the day with them.

How often? Lately it's been about three times a day. For the past week I've done about two miles in the morning, 1-2 in the afternoon, and another two in the evening. :thumbs:

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I do not have an exercise program per say, but I count the work that I do at home to be a "workout". Just this week I have:

replaced the gutter guards on one side of the house making about a million trips up and down the ladder.
    mowed the yard.
    weed eated the yard.
    cut a zillion tree limbs, all over my head (those tree limb cutters are heavy), hauled them to the weed pile.
    washed the railing on my porch.
    pulled weeds
    swept porches, they are large.
    walked to the mailbox which is at the end of our road.

Not to mention the grocery shopping, carrying them through my mother's apartment (she lives with us) up the stairs to the kitchen, making many trips.

The laundry, going up and down stairs again.
    Vacuuming, cooking, cleaning.........

I'm to tired to exercise. :D

19. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

I work out 6 days a week and take Sunday as a "rest" day. I do 4-6 days of cardio and 3 days weight training.

I use dvd's. I don't have to pay high gym fees, drive anywhere and weather is never a deterrent (unless we have a power outage!--lol).

There are dvds around that are suited for just about any level. There are even chair exercise dvd's.

I like Turbo Jam and Jillian Michaels (Biggest Loser) the best.

Leslie Sansone has some good low impact walking dvds for those starting out.

I like doing stuff that requires some physical effort. One of the highlights of our trip to HI last year was climbing Diamond Head. And this year we climbed a few lighthouses.

I find that being in decent shape actually helps me be more effective when I minister in whatever I'm doing. I don't run out of steam as easily. Don't get me wrong when it's time for bed I am ready! And no one better interrupt my Sunday afternoon nap! lol

So, I always suggest finding something you like. Gardening is great, walking is great, swimming, hiking...you name it. I like doing mine in the a.m. and getting it over with! lol

And I am grateful for my health. And I know that in a fraction of a second it could be gone. God has been good to me.

Ok y'all get movin'!

Blessings to you all!

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

How is the Jillian Michaels workout, really hard?
    I have a lot of people tellme they'd love to do some exsecise, but can't, usually seniors, where would we find the video for sitting in a chair? I've suggested this but couldn't tell them where to get it.