1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Expelled' breaks into Top 10 on first weekend

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A documentary that examines a movement in academic circles to censor the teaching of intelligent design placed in the Top 10 of box office receipts on its opening weekend.

Story Here

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I've been waiting for this movie to come out and right now I'm too busy to see it. I'm excited to see it doing so well.

3. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

Thing is if Intelligent Design is so implausible, why are they so worried about it being taught? Surely the kids will eventually realise it isn't true. I think they're worried because they know it might be true.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

5. holas84

holas84 New Member

I haven't seen it yet, but I have seen advertisements for it all over the internet. I am looking forward to seeing it! Has anyone here seen this movie yet?

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Well what'd ya expect? I didn't read everything that link contained. However, I would point out that the opening part of the article that is critical of the "extras" in the audience is nonsense. I have participated in the audience of a "recorded live" video. What that article describes is no different than what I experienced back in the early 1990s, and you can bet that Michael Moore's and Al Gore's etc. "live audience" shots were/are no different either. It is a trick of the trade in the video industry. They have the script and they know the reaction that they are looking for from the audience. In fact, if the script has a part that is supposed to be funny they record the audience laughing several times from several different angles prior to beginning the actual recording with the actor/artist on stage. That way, if during the actual recording (with the actor/artist), the video editors do not feel that they got the reaction they were/are looking for they can splice in the pre-recorded shots that they do like. You can't condemn the content of the message based upon the recording tactics of the film industry. The article's author ought to at least be intellectually honest enough to admit what was really taking place rather than trying to act as if some big conspiracy is afoot.

7. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I saw it, and loved it! I'm glad to see it doing so well!!

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw it Fri. In it Dawkins admitted to the possibility to an intelligent designer.

The audience applauded at the end.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be honest and fair, in a subsequent article, Dawkins says he did NOT admit to an intelligent designer, but constructed a "science fiction scenario" to answer Stein's query about whether Dawkins could think of any circumstances whatsoever under which intelligent design might have occurred (http://richarddawkins.net/article,2394,n,n).

Personally, I believe Dawkins is against anyone believing anything other than what Dawkins believes.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That is unfortunate. I saw the interview. That is not the way it played out. Dawkins is backtracking.

11. Magnetic Poles

Looks more like you are misrepresenting his views.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well..Am I to be surprised you would take this position?

13. Magnetic Poles

Have you ever read Dawkins' books? If you had, you'd understand why I say that. Your position would be like saying Christopher Hitchens worshipped at your church last Sunday. :laugh:

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I did not make what Dawkins said in the movie clear. So your misunderstanding of what I intended to say is my fault. Dawkins gave room that the earth and we humans were made by intelligent design. But only if the designer was intelligence from another place in the universe. He would not give room for God because he feels even God would have to have a start somewhere. Then he ended it with admitting he has no idea how all things actually got started.

15. Magnetic Poles

OK, that sounds more consistent. I will have to read a transcript when I get a chance. Thanks for clarifying.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even with his idea of other intelligence being in existence his concession that their is a designer is problematic for evolutionists.

17. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A major point I got from the movie was that the intellectuals in charge of science today are unwilling to give the ID theory any thought at all, and further, they immediately seek to destroy those that want to discuss it. Very unscientific.

my aside: In order to so vociferously take that stand, they must be "haters of God".

#17 hillclimber1, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I only recently found out about this movie, and I would love to see it.

I do not believe in evolution. It is obvious that there is a Creator or we would not have a creation. To believe that it all just came about by chance is preposterous, in my view.

19. billwald

billwald New Member

The problem is not you or anyone "believes in." The problem is what should be taught in public schools as science. Most of the "Proofs" of ID consist of a misapplication of statistics by people who should know better but prefer to lie to you all.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Fill us in please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.