1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Experts Agree: Metrodome produces heavy home field advantage

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., May 15, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ed: I miss the days of a little AM transistor radio giving me Marty and Joe, or whatever else is on when the Reds aren't playing. I like the MLB package where I can stream via Internet any game I want, but it isn't the same. Do they even make powerful little am radios anymore? I could get stations from all over the planet.

And Ed, you forgot to tell me which source you were using for the ballpark advantage numbers you quoted me. I'm a stats junkie needing a fix :)

Andy: okay, I'll bite.
    Let's look at these:
    The fans were rowdy back in the day (conveniently, you quote when the Twins were WS winners). A) Fans aren't supposed to be supportive? B) Fans are going to be supportive of their teams when they win, esp in post season. I guess the Tiger fans were of no help to the Tigers when the Twins took 2 of 3 at Tiger Stadium in 1987.
    By 1987, the Dome had been open for five seasons. That's plenty of time for the scouts and teams to get their data.
    I don't know about "many." Baseball Prospectus shows that the median career length since the Metrodome opened is right at 3 years. (interestingly, since 1900, half of MLB players play 4 years or less and only 1/4 play more than 7 seasons).
    So let me follow the logic here: The Twins' organization has filled MLB with enough players who came to the Show, played long enough in the dome to get a competitive edge, then are now with other teams, so much so that the 13 other AL teams are able to almost negate the Twins' home field advantage? It seems a bit of a stretch to me.

As for seeing Yankee fans in Columbus, that's probably because of the Clippers. I admire you for proudly wearing the Tigers cap in enemy territory. East Tenn is Reds country (though the Braves have some fans here) so I don't have to worry too much about that. :)

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Maybe I'm missing something, because I don't quite follow what you're saying. If being a good team is beside your point, then I don't understand your point. Could you please clarify?

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Grant the assumption that every home team has an advantage when playing at home vs. the visiting team. This is a universal statement that everyone pretty much agrees on. If a team could pick to play at home or on the road, in any sport, they would pick home. But when you look into this further, you notice that some teams have an even greater advantage than normal at home. That was my point about the Yankees (and Twins) - that they have an even greater home field advantage than most other teams. But there are other factors than just home field advantage. A team has to be good enough to win, etc. However, I was just looking at the single factor of home field adv.