1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Explicit future denials of apostasy of true children of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dr. Walter, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

To be born of God is for God to forgive us of all sins that are past and to treat us as if though we have never sinned granting to us His indwelling spirit. This is only accomplished as we fulfill His stated conditions to repent of our sins and have a change of heart towards them, exercising faith in the shed blood of Christ and God’s forgiveness. It is a spiritual rebirth of the spirit of man. As we repent and turn to Christ in faith, ones one’s ultimate intentions are changed from selfishness to that of benevolence towards God and man.

I am certian that definition/explanation could be better worded but it at least is an attempt to answer your question.

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

See John 3:5. You must be baptized and you must receive the Holy Spirit.

3. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

One basic common sense rule of intepretation is that you do not interpret the clear by the unclear. You do not build doctrines on examples, metaphors, figures of speech, allegories, inferences, parables but upon clear and explicit precepts and statements. Examples, figures of speech, allegories, parables, inferences, ambiguous language can be used as supportive for explicit and clear precepts and statements but not vice versa.

Go to those passages that deal clearly and directly with the specific question and build doctrine upon that. Go to passages that deal directly with true children of God and deal specifically whether they can be lost in the future and build your doctrine on that.

This is exactly what OSAS is built upon - those clear and explicit precepts and statements that speak directly to this point about true children of God.

What you cannot find in scripture is equally clear and explicit precepts and statements that deal specifically with that point and teach true children of God will become lost - no such precepts, no such explicit statements.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Can ones contextual interpretation be fallible, and does the possibility exit that it just might be subject to ones interpretation? Why do I feel a circular issue coming on???:)

#64 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Let' see what this proves. My interpretation is better than yours. ( I am just saying this to get across a point :))

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The problem with this approach is that it leaves a lot of scripture hanging out there without any meaning. Maybe you could clip these passages out of the Bible and sell your work product to Reader's Digest. Besides, I doubt that you always use this approach, only when it suits your preconceived ideas about the way things ought to be. You can't get any more imperative and direct than Mark 16:16 and I'll bet you don't accept it for what it plainly says.

I guess you didn't like my hypothetical challenge since you didn't comment on it.

#66 Zenas, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  7. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Here is what I mean as an example of improper interpretation. Where is the word "baptized" used here? It is not to be found. You are making an INFERENCE and I believe an inference that is not called for by the context. Nicodemus asks a specific question about how can someone who is OLD go back into their mother's womb and be born a second time. That is his question. Now we can assume that Jesus ignored his question or answered it. Verse 6 indicates he was answering it - "that which is born of flesh is flesh and that which is born of Spirit is spirit."

The fleshly birth is a birth in water in the womb of your mother while the new birth is birth in spirit by the Holy Spirit. One must be born of water but the birth that Jesus spoke of at the beginning is in addition to that, one must be born of the Spirit to enter heaven.

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Yes, I use the same approach on Mark 16:16. There is no question that it teaches that all who believe the gospel and are baptized shall be saved. I use the same approach with Acts 22:16 where in baptism our sins are washed away. The question is not what it says for it says what it says and says it clearly. The question is how does baptism save us and wash away our sins. I Peter. 3:21 is very explicit and clear in answering that question. Baptism saves us figuratively and therefore washes away our sins figuratively. This is indicated in Mark 16:16 by the latter part of the verse where it is unbelief rather than lack of baptism that damns a person. Furthermore, I take in the clear and explicit statements in regard to the general rule that God has used for four thousand years to characterize all external divine ordinances (Heb. 10:1-4; Col. 2:14-16; Rom. 4:9-13). Every external divine ordinance God has instituted from Genesis to Revelation are but SHADOWS and SIGNS and TYPES that although are directly associated with redemptive langauge such as "for sin" and "for cleansing" yet could NEVER take away sins (Heb. 10:4) except as a Shadow/type. Acts 10:43 is a very clear and explicit statement that defines exactly how Old Testament saints had their sins literally remitted.

Hence, I take in all the explicit and clear statements to form a conclusion and when you do it clearly and explicitly repudiates the use of external ordinances a literal and actual means to remit sins.

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Here is where you went outside scripture and imposed your suppositions on what it says. Nowhere does scripture say that baptism is figurative or symbolic. Moreover, not a single commentator prior to the Reformation treated baptism as purely symbolic.

10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Interesting. Did you know that 100% of the early church fathers who commented on this verse--men who spoke, wrote and even thought in the same language and dialect as the original manuscripts--regarded "born of water" as baptism?
    A majority of modern commentators, even those in the evangelical camp including some Baptists, would disagree with you. Granted, they won't agree with me either but they don't think the syntax allows for childbirth.

11. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

"the LIKE FIGURE whereunto baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh but the answer of a good conscience) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ." 1 Pet. 3:21

Paedobaptist commentators are wrong and it is easy to prove it. If you simply erased the words "like figure" from this text it would not affect their commentary on this text in the least bit as their commentary is devoted to explaining away the clear explicit meaning of these words. No Jew would understand "baptism" to be misunderstood as a "bath" to clean your physical body. Jews were completely versed in ceremonial baptisms. Peter is using the ceremonial language of the day, completely understood by Jews, to mean that baptism saves figuratively it does not remove the corruption of the human nature - sin - but is a response of a conscience already cleansed from sin that makes that INTERNAL cleansing manifested in submission to baptism as baptism is a figure just as the ark was a figure of what ultimately gives victory over sin, death and hell - BY THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have read of two or three such conversions. The ones that I remember well were: one was a convert from Hinduism and one a convert from Islam. The convert from Islam, after reading the Bible from cover to cover trusted Christ as her Savior. She was astonished how no one could deny that Christ could not be who he claimed to be--the Savior of the world. The biggest obstacle she faced was to call God "Father." She developed a very close relationship with Christ, and walking daily with Him, never had any doubt in her mind to turn her back on Him. That is eternal security. You speak from a theological armchair that is based on philosophy. I speak from the authority of the Word of God, and from what I have seen on the mission field where the Word of God is put in practice.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

An absolute wrong definition of born again.
    You stated: "This can only be accomplished as we fulfill His stated conditions...."
    To be born again has no stated conditions. It is unconditional. Salvation is always unconditional. It is the free gift of God. There is no free gift that has conditions attached to it.

14. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

I regard the Ante-Nicene Fathers to be the history of apostasy that led to the Nicene and Post-Nicene Apostate positions.

I have never read anyone give any syntactical basis for rejecting the human birth interpretation. I have read several who say the conjunction "kai" should be understood as "even" or "also" suggesting that Jesus was talking to some one steeped in Jewish ceremonial use of wate and that Jesus was simply saying "born of water EVEN the Spirit" thus making a transition from the use of ceremonial use of water as a type of the Holy Spirit. Many go on to see this consistently in the gospel of John where in the very next chapter the Holy Spirit is characterized as "water" bubbling up in side a person just as in John 7 it is used to represent the Holy Spirit within a person. I don't take great issue with that interpretation as that is a direct and explicit application of water by both Jesus and Paul (Eph. 5:26-27).

However, Mark 16:16 makes it very clear that if Jesus wanted to say "baptize" he could say it but he did not say it in John 3:3-5.

15. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I expected that would be you response, or something like that. They don't agree with you. But the fact remains that Greek was their first language. They lived in the same era as the Bible was written. To say that we understand scripture better than they did is like saying modern legal scholars understand the U. S. Constitution better than Washington, Jefferson and Madison. You can say it and think it all you want but it just ain't so.
    I don't have a theological library available to me right now but here are some remarks by Dr. Thomas Constable, of Dallas Theological Seminary, who maintains an excellent on line commentary:
    http://www.soniclight.com/constable/notes/pdf/john.pdf Maybe I can check out another commentary at church tomorrow and share it with you.

16. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I have seen one such conversion, a Burmese Buddhist who converted to Christianity. However, he did so under the tutelage of a fundamentalist Baptist so he naturally held these views after his conversion. The challenge I threw down to DW, however, was based on what he said in Post #50--that the Bible should be read in its plain common sense terms. I suggested that maybe we should find someone completely ignorant of Christianity, give them a Bible and see what they come up with.

17. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

They taught baptismal regeneration among many other heretical doctrines. They writings were preserved by the old Harlot because it gives the proper developmental history of her while she destroyed the writings of New Testament churches as she persecuted and killed them.

If verse 6 is explanatory of verse 5, then there is the repetition of the preposition in verse 6 before each noun. I would venture to guess that Thomas Constable probably took the position of water being the counterpart symbol of the Holy Spirit in Jewish ceremonialism and thus made his case on the conjunction "kai" to mean "even" or "also."

18. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Ah, yes. Conspiracy theories abound. :rolleyes: Of course she also preserved the Holy Bible intact through the centuries. She even did a translation in the late 4th/early 5th Centuries that was as true to the early manuscripts as any we have today.
    That's pretty close, although he says nothing about the implication of "kai." Maybe you could click on the link.

19. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

I believe both the Old Latin and Old Syric translation were made around 150 A.D. demonstrating the New Testament churches already had a complete canon before the harlot ever dreamed about doing it. Indeed, Jerome's was a reaction to the Old Latin.

20. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Indeed. There were many different versions of the Old Latin and none of them was complete. Some even omitted one or more of the Gospels. There was only one version of the early Syriac Bible but several books of the N.T. were missing from it. Damasas I thought it proper to have a uniform translation throughout the Christian world and commissioned Jerome to produce it.