1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Expository Preaching In IFB Churches

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Truth Seeker, May 13, 2007.

1. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do many independent fundamnetal baptist churches don't preach verse by verse or expository preaching? Many prefer to have topical sermons which are ok but if we are going to learn the Bible we should also have expository preaching.

What's the story with Jack Hyles and Hyles Anderson College being against expository preaching? That's why many cults and sects got started because they take scripture out of context. We need to study scripture in it's proper context.

I thank God that i attend a baptist church that preaches verse by verse.

Hyles Anderson just read a scripture or two then give many stories and illustrations. Is that preaching the word? Many times they are preaching about themselves instead of the word.

Are there any good baptist colleges that believe in expository preaching?

Let's get back to the word!!

2. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

You should get a tape of this guy who preaches over in the greater Oklahoma City area somewhere. I've heard him once, don't remember the details. He starts with Genesis 1:1 and goes thru to Revelation 22:21, disecting every word, phrase, parts of speech, pointing out nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, expositing to your heart's content. He's been doing it for so many years he has the Bible memorized. I could only listen to it once --- it was just too much to take in, presented too fast.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that is great for a Bible study - verse by verse. When it comes to preaching, I often prefer to preach on topics.
    You stated "because they take scripture out of context." It is just as easy to do that with a chapter as it is with a single verse.
    Actually, with a topical message, you are comparing scriptrue with scripture.

This comming week I plan on preaching on baptism and communion. These two doctrines are not in the same passages, yet they are the "Two Ordinances" that we as Baptists believe. Therefore, I will show how these two special act are part of our Christian life. And I will need several passages from thruout the New Testemant to properly teach.

Salty

4. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not against topical preaching it certainly has it's place. My problem is that many churches have abandoned expository preaching all together. How are the members of the church and new convert are going to learn the word.

It's important to read and study at home but believe me when it's done by a good pastor teacher who teaches verse by verse you get so much out of it. A pastor's main concern should be to edify the church. amen?

5. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

Agree.

If my neighbor didn't invite me to a baptist church where they did expository preaching, then I wonder if I would have gotten saved.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have a combination of expository and topic preaching at our church. We went through Genesis over 4 years and Revelation over 3 years. Now we're in Romans and I'm not sure how long that will take. However, there ARE topical sermons that are put in here and there when our pastor feels it's necessary - or one of the other pastors preach. I love the expository preaching.

7. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

To answer that question in a honest fashion, from my own observations I have determined it is because of laziness. It is much harder to preach expository preaching. The preachers who are honest can back me up on this one. To preach through a book of the Bible is no easy task. Expository preaching is not for the weak at heart.

A good expository preacher is J. Vernon Mcgee. You can download his 5 year Thru The Bible program on his website , www.ttb.org

Hope you enjoy,
    Andy

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Expository preaching is harder? I disagree. I believe good topical messages are harder to prepare.

Yes, J Vernon preache a 5 year pgm, but remeber he is on 5 days a week. So at that pace, it would take some 10 - 20 years to preach thru the Bible on Sunday mornings

The more I think about, the better I like topical messages.

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

the one guy I know who does this is Arnold Murray with his Shepherd's Chapel....and I don't hold to almost anything he teaches.....yet because he uses this method I know some people who think he's a marvelous teacher. He teaches some pretty outrageous stuff though, and makes some extreme claims. One can get so bogged down in the verse-by-verse, word-by-word method that one loses the bigger picture of the Bible.

But to answer the OP, I guess it depends on what your philosophy of preaching is. I know in most IFB churches preaching is more for the purpose of exhorting to good works, rebuking worldliness, and presenting the gospel to the lost. We are expected and encouraged to do verse-by-verse studies on our own at home. My husband and I are working on a devotional right now that we hope will help teach our people how to do those sorts of studies. Although, alot of Sunday School time is devoted to the verse-by-verse sort of studying.

What do you think? Is church where we go to learn everything we ought to know about God's Word? or is alot of that learning supposed to take place in our personal devotion time? Personally I lean more toward the latter.....

10. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

The problem with topical preaching, is it allows the pastor to choose what type of sermons he can preach. He could just preach 'feel good' sermons all the time, or sermons about salvation , evangelism, whatever suits his agenda. Now, if a Pastor decides to preach the whole counsel of God, i.e. drawing from the whole of scriptures, he is going to have to deal with the passages that dont fit his particular agenda. You know, some of the 'hard passages' that normally get glossed over in most churches.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Excellent post :thumbs:

There is no way in the world preparing a topical message is harder than preparing an expository message.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Why does it have to be either/or? I personally think it should be both/and.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I quite agree. As a pastor I am committed to expository preaching, going through NT books or sections of Scripture.

Those who are not committed to expository preaching are depriving their churches of the whole counsel of God. Consider these great expositors: Spurgeon, Martyn Lloyd Jones, Stott, Swindoll, David Jeremiah, Piper, MacArthur.

There are great books out there on expository preaching: Preaching and Preachers; Between Two Words; Rediscovering Expository Preaching; Christ-Centered Preaching, etc.

Please, brothers, let us be committed to faithful exposition of the text. But topical preaching certainly has its place, like on Mothers day.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each pastor has strengths and weakness. I am not saying exp preaching is wrong, but if a person is more effective in a certain style, than that may be the best way to proclaim the gospel.

We are often creatures of habit. If you grew up in Exp preaching, then you probably prefer such. I am of the opinion that I prefer topical preaching. I find that I learn more by this manner. This is true both when I am behind the pulpit and as well when I was sitting in the pew.

Yes, sometimes by preaching topical I can choose what I want. But, if I see a need to preach on baptism, I can do so, if there is a need to preach on the ten commandments (OT), or 8 1/2 com (NT) I can do so.

The important issue is not what I want to preach, but what the Lord is leading me to preach.

Salty

15. csl

csl New Member

As the ole saying goes: "Once you've had steak who wants hamburger"?

The same goes for sitting under expository preaching versus topical preaching.

The same goes for preaching expositorally versus topical.

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I don't think it has to be either/or at all......

It seemed to me that the OP was pretty much against topical, that's all. I guess I was trying to explain why alot of IFB preaching is that way. I think we in IFBdom tend to do alot of topical in regular services, but then we do alot of expository teaching during Sunday School and midweek Bible studies. We also tend to have separate days during the week where various groups will meet and have a time of more expositional Bible study. I believe these times are being overlooked by some, as they are focusing mainly on what happens during the morning and evening services on Sunday.

I did not mean to imply that it should be either/or....I apologize if I gave that impression.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

I never had that impression
    Salty

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was Jesus' preaching style topical, practical, or expository?

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

He often preached in parables:godisgood:

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly, bapmom. It is in the Sunday School, Training Union and midweek services where many IFB pastors do their expository teaching. I think this is an excellent method of pastoring, myself. Those in IFB churches who are serious about learning the Word of God can do so, yet they are exhorted in the Sunday morning service. Exhortation is also Biblical. "Give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine" (1 Thess. 2:3).

Note Eph. 4:11-12, where we preachers are to perfect the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ. In other words, we are to lead and equip our people to serve Christ. Topical messages can do that, while expository messages can edify and teach the saints the whole counsel of God. I preach both kinds, myself, as well as they occasional narrative sermon, etc.