1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Extremely overweight pastors

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Oct 3, 2012.

?
  1. Yes I would vote against him

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. No, his obesity would have no effect on my decision

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. It might be a partial consideration

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  4. Not sure

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Other answer

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At one point in my life, I remember being in a doctor's office looking at a height/weight chart. As I found my height and ran my finger across the chart searching for my weight, I realized I had to loose 50 lbs.... before I would be on the chart as morbidly obese.

That said, the question cannot be about personal preference. Do you believe the qualifications for pastors found in scriptures would prohibit a morbidly obese person from serving in that capacity?

Understanding that those qualifications aren't just for "super" Christians, but apply to all Christians (with the exception of the ability to teach), should a morbidly obese Christian member of your congregation cause you to initiate church discipline?

2. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Oh my! What sort of hypocrite would I be if I voted against an overweight pastor when I'm probably bigger than he is? :smilewinkgrin:

Some of us are just big and we struggle mightily with this. I try to eat healthy. I try to exercise but have medical problems that limit this. I'm fighting an uphill battle. Am I not still a Christian? Should I not be accepted to seminary based on my weight?

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people (mostly thin people) over-simplify the issue. If you're overweight, they say, you are guilty of gluttony. Gluttony is sinful, therefore the overweight person is living a life of sin.

It is much more complicated than that.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record - since I started this thread - three months ago - I was more than 100 pounds overweight (according to AR 600-9). In the past three months, I have lost about 25 pounds.

I have simply cut down my excessive eating. Now, I plan to to some more PT.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's great Salty!! I started running and was SOOOOOOOO proud of myself when I ran a full 22 minutes straight yesterday and felt like I could keep on going!!! When I started the program about 8 weeks ago, I couldn't run 45 seconds. :D

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love to run - but am unable to do so anymore (bad knees) I can still walk, ect.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. My hubby can't even walk, his foot (broke it severely in 5 places 9 years ago) is so bad. It stinks.

But I'm good with running and I'm finding it's helping my migraines and back!! Not a bad thing!

8. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your husband's foot stinks? You know you can get spray for that?

It might be a consideration in considering fitness for ministry (set a good example, body temple to Holy Spirit,etc) in the same way that smoking or excessive drinking might play a part - if due to gluttony or some other form of addiction. But if it's purely a health problem in causation, then no.

[ETA - Matt, BMI 26 and, thanks to a diet, falling - down 10lbs in 8 weeks]

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - I WISH he could fix it with a spray. :(

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a number of skinny people who eat too much. But their metabolism is rather fast, so they don't retain the weight. They could actually be gluttons without looking the part.

In my case at a shrunken-down 5'10", I now weigh around 215. A colon resection last August helped me lose some weight. But I don't recommend the surgery unless there is a suspicion of cancer!

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really good advice. I know a guy that was well over 300 lbs., and had gastric bypass... lost down to about 175 lbs.

I saw him the other day and he had gained every pound back.

12. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

That's exactly why I haven't had that surgery. My mom had it too but is still overweight.