1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Extremely strict colleges...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by rbell, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the kind words!

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Liberal?!? You callin' me a liberal, sonny?

Political or theological? Either way, what an asinine thing to say. I shouldn't have to defend my character, only my theology.

You do seem like a caring and genuine person, John, but my guess is that Matthew's words are more a jab at me than anything else.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

No, sorry jaigner. The conversation doesn't always revolve around you. I was geniune in my words to John.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your tunnel vision is obvious. PCC ...is...in my part of the country
    Okay, now that we have established that you don't venture outside your part of the country; maybe not outside your back door, we can get somewhere. Anyone can order any curriculum from their own computer. It can come from any part of the world. The fact that yours is from BJU doesn't mean you know two cents worth about the college and its standards, nor does it make you an authority on any other fundamental college. By your own admission you have had some bad experience with PCC, perhaps because their preaching was too loud, or some silly excuse like that. Whatever. You don't have any real criteria to set forth to objectively compare other fundamental (or the stricter colleges) to any other colleges, because all of your experience hinges on your bad experience with PCC.

Given the above information, (i.e. your credentials for judging fundamental schools), why should anyone listen to you?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All i know is that after seeing what BJU did to my nephew (a sincere Fundamentalist raised kid), I wouldnt send a dog there.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Please, would a moderator please put this thread out of its misery?

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I second that motion

8. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I third that and btw I have the best schoolmaster of all My Lord and Savior

#188 Old Union Brother, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure if its the thread that needs to be put out of its misery... :smilewinkgrin:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone shoot me! [​IMG]

You can shoot me here, or take me home and shoot me.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am more than willing to take the rebuke, John. In fact, I have recognized on this site publicly several times that I got a bit too heated and apologized. Feel free to do this any time.

Furthermore, I believe I have expressed very clearly to you my respect for what you do and who you are. I think you'll remember the nice things that I sincerely remarked. I have prayed for you by name.

But I think you have a slight hang up here in this debate business. The rules for this particular site note that debate gets "heated". It does. It is the very nature of debate. The only way to avoid that is to bow. Since I will not unless defeated and you just will not- well, there is going to be heat.

Here is what I think; you tell me if I am wrong. You are used to debating people who you do not consider to be your equals. Some YOU bow to because you see them as wiser than yourself. Others, you think should bow to you because you consider yourself wiser by virtue of age or title or the work you do, etc... What I do not think you are used to is people behaving as your equal and calling you on the carpet and decimating your arguments.

I do not believe I have assaulted your character AT ALL. But we are supposed to be DEBATING. Debate means you pit your ideas on a particular matter against mine and we see which one survives the applied scrutiny and which is left standing when the dust clears.

If you want to call that abrasive- then fine. Paul was abrasive. Peter was abrasive. The Lord Jesus Christ was abrasive. Moses and Elijah and Samuel, etc, etc, etc...

The definition of abrasive is:

a·bra·sive
       /əˈbreɪsɪv, -zɪv/ Show Spelled[uh-brey-siv, -ziv] Show IPA
    –noun
    any material or substance used for grinding, polishing, etc., as emery, pumice, or sandpaper.
    –adjective
    tending to abrade; causing abrasion; abrading.
    tending to annoy or cause ill will; overly aggressive: an abrasive personality.

Many considered Jesus to be annoying and over aggressive. Peter spoke to him about it once if you recall when he noted how much Jesus upset the Pharisees.

But notice the primary use of that word is for grinding and polishing. This is the very essence of "iron sharpens iron" isn't it? If you would embrace it in a manly fashion with a warm heart and a smile on your face it would polish your thinking rather than be so offensive to you personally.

I have friends who I would die for who battle it out with me in a very heated manner often. But our hearts are filled with love for each other and we actually appreciate our ideas being tested by the severest of scrutiny. It is in these kinds of exchanges that much of what I know came about.

This is NOT a fellowship forum. It is a debate forum.

You and I can go and fellowship in one of those fellowship forums over a good cup of Earl Grey tea if you like. But in here, our ideas are tested. Heat is necessary to purge dross, isn't it?

If I am full of bologna on a particular argument- you feel free to say so. I may not like it but I still like you and I want my ideas tested in the fire of debate. You are doing me a favor when you undermine my argument and point out where it fails. I am doing you a favor by doing the same. Being men, especially, means we appreciate a few bruises and scrapes in a tussle. Men can rise up from fight, throw their arms around each other and go watch a football game together.

That's how I wish you would see our exchanges.

#191 Luke2427, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the word "pumice" because it has volcanic connotations. :thumbs:

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's also in generally the same part of the country as most of these folks.

Given your obvious biases, why should anyone listen to you?

For the love, just give it a rest.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for this gracious reply.
    In a true debate, yes, both sides should start equally. But a debate also has the human element in it--that can't be avoided. And in a formal debate, a wise debater is careful about his wording so as not to prejudice the judges against him. So in a formal debate you might hear such phrases as "My esteemed opponent," etc. As for my debating, I've been having discussions about theology since college, 40 years ago. And even now I'm the senior missionary to a new man over here, and we often disagree. However, even though he is much younger than I am I always treat him with respect. I believe that is a Biblical attitude. You mention Christ--but he was Lord of Lords, and spoke with authority. I have never considered what Christ did to be debate--and I have never considered Him to be abrasive.

As for the rest, this thread is about over. Let's put it up to the general population of the BB. Please join me in the "General Baptist" area and we can make it a debate about debate. :type:

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jaigner, do you consider Baylor to be a fundamentalist school?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.