1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ez:13.20

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Blessed lady, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Blessed lady

Blessed lady New Member

The KJV states that you are teaching souls to fly, that it is a sin. I have been told by some the reference is to the rapture. If so the rapture is false teaching. Can anyone explain this verse to me. :tonofbricks:

#1 Blessed lady, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am going to assume you are speaking of Eze 13:20

Wherefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I [am] against your pillows, wherewith ye there hunt the souls to make [them] fly, and I will tear them from your arms, and will let the souls go, [even] the souls that ye hunt to make [them] fly.

The chapter is speaking against false prophets and in this verse it is a false prophetesses and the passage is saying how they go about coming up with their false teachings and if the people believer her let them be condemned. It has nothing to do with the rapture. I suggest you read here http://www.blueletterbible.org/comm...ID=1467&commInfo=5&topic=Ezekiel&ar=Eze_13_20

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, sister.

As freeatlast said, this whole chapter is about God's anger at the false teachings going on amongst his people.

These false prophets were just making the lies up as they went and deceiving the people on purpose. And these false prophetesses were seducing them more or less with these false teachings.

This isn't so much about the content of the false message as it is about the method of it.

In terms of verse 20, about the women "causing them to fly", this isn't about the rapture. Logically, it can't be. These false prophets and prophetesses had no clue of Jesus Christ and his death and resurrectiona and his return because He hadn't been born yet and wouldn't be for a LONG time. The first thing that came to my mind when I read this was the word "hunt". These prophetesses were "hunting" the people to make them fly. I got the image in my mind of hunters stalking birds, enticing them with decoys, and shooing at them to make them fly so that they could snare them in nets. Today it's done with guns, but in ancient days it was done with nets.

Here's an awfully good commentary on the whole chapter. It doesn't say what I said, but it's thorough and easy to read. I like it. It's really good.

http://www.ucg.org/bible-commentary/Ezekiel/Prophecy-against-false-prophets/default.aspx

#3 Scarlett O., Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011