1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezekiel 21:10b

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rob_BW, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your opinions on this verse? Seems like there are a wide range of opinions on how to translate it. Some commentators see it as linked to Genesis 49:10, and I can't say that I disagree.

should we then make mirth? it contemneth the rod of my son, as every tree.--KJV

"'Shall we rejoice in the scepter of my royal son? The sword despises every such stick.--NIV

(Or shall we rejoice? You have despised the rod, my son, with everything of wood.)--ESV

Or shall we rejoice, the rod of My son despising every tree?--NASB

Should we rejoice? The scepter of My son, the sword despises every tree. --HCSB

How can we make merry? You have despised the rod, and all discipline.--NRSV

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just looking at the context, it seems what God is angered at, is the idolatrous practices among His people. It would seem that God is using a bit of irony. Shall we be rejoicing when your practice of idolatry under every green tree is rebellion against the rule of my Son?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When God threatens a polished (and thus extra sharp) sword to be wielded against the Jewish people the prophet's objection is taken from the promise given in Jacob's blessing to the tribe of Judah: “the sceptre will not depart from Judah” (Genesis 49:10). The sceptre of the son despises all wood, i.e., every other ruler's staff, as bad wood.

The train of thought is "Do not think we have no reason to fear the sharply-ground sword of Jehovah, because Judah has received the promise that the sceptre shall not depart from it; and this promise will certainly be fulfilled, and Judah be victorious over every hostile power. The promise will not help you in this instance. The sword is given to be ground, not that it may be put into the scabbard, but that it may be taken in the hand by a slayer, and smite all the people and all its princes."

(Gleaned and edited from Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament.)

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

In context what other "sceptre" is in competition with that of coming out of Judah that Israel is guilty of honoring over that promised? I can see in context where idolatry is the cause for God's anger and the sharpening of this sword.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. The scepter of Israel will prevail over all the lesser (wooden) scepters, but those in the sin of idolatry will not be able to protect themselves from God's wrath on the basis of that future prevailing of Israel. To put it another way, God says "Straighten up or you will be dog meat." :D

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ok, I understand your point now. You don't see any competing sceptre at all, you are simply saying this text denies them safety from wrath just because they have that promise. Got it!

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 'sword, polished to flash like lightening' (v.10) seems to be a reference to Deuteronomy 32:41.
    Surely the gist of the verses is that the apostasy of the king(s) and people of Judah have brought judgement upon the land in the form of the Babylonians, and the sceptre (power) of the king will be so much wood for the burning to Nebuchadnezzar when he comes.

Moving to verses 25-28, we see that Judah will be overthrown and the kingdom dissolved until the coming of the One whose right it is.
    www.marprelate.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/time-to-remove-the-diadem/

#7 Martin Marprelate, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more? - interesting - the Brenton English translation of the Septuagint (LXX - An ancient Greek translation of the OT).

Ezekiel 21:10 that thou mayest slay victims; be sharpened that thou mayest be bright, ready for slaughter, slay, set at nought, despise every tree.

HankD