1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezekiel 38

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by joyce, Aug 27, 2008.

1. joyce

joyce New Member

I don't know about the rest of you; but, I have found the book of Ezekiel to be a more difficult book to understand than most. I thought perhaps we could all gather together and try and figure this out together? For instance, this Gog and Magog war? It appears that this is to take place during the 7 year tribulation and here is what I've gathered on this topic thus far and was hopeful others would join in and put their two cents worth in also. Notice in Chapter 38, verse 4: This apparently is Russia, and apparently is being forced to lead others into battle here, or that is what I'm seeing. Here is something else, as I take the Bible literally in all cases except when to do so would not make sense, so, lets move down to verse 12, what is this spoil they are wanting to take? Could it be oil? Could Israel discover oil and then be attacked by others to take it? I recall someone speaking before about the sons of Judah or Jacob dipping their feet into oil in the latter days. Also, notice in verse 15 and 4 and other various verses throughout Ezekiel 38. History shows us of a people called the Scythians, they were eventually called Russians. I noted that they were riders on horseback with bows and arrows, so good was their ability with these bows and arrows that they were able to turn while riding and shoot with one arm a flying bird in the distance and cause it to fall from the sky. Upon further investigation, I've discovered that Russia has more horses than any other country. So; this war will be where, in my opinion, the Russians have possibly caused a skirmish else where in the world to get CNN's eyes off what they are really doing and move their horses into place and conquer the land with bows and arrows, the terrain talked about in the Bible about this war, will make that possibilty very probable in my opinion. Yeah, I know, not advanced as we are in warfare technology, but, then again, they have mountains where tanks can't go, they can be undetected while moving in their horses and laying slaughter to many places in between.
    Anyways, would be interested in seeing what others have come up with on this Ezekiel 38 and do you think this is a continuing war or just one or several wars?
    YSIC
    Joyce

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but I think you are reading way too much current events into the passage.

peace to you:praying:

3. joyce

joyce New Member

Canady: Ezekiel 38 is not current events, it occurs during the tribulation (the 7 years that the nation Israel and all unbelievers will be stuck going through), the church, will have been raptured by then, or that is my belief anyways. It involves the Magog and Gog invasion, of which I do not know a whole lot about and wanted to know more about. I believe that there are many prophetic things in the Bible that if we only took the time to study them might understand better what will happen in the end times. It was prophesied that the middle east, Jerusalem in particular would have the world's eyes on it, now back in my great grandfather's day, I'm sure people who read that thought "what?" But; look at it now, God's Word always rings true and for me Revelation is a much easier book to understand than Ezekiel, just because we won't be here, as we will have been raptured before the tribulation occurs, or that is my belief anyways, doesn't mean we can't take a look at it does it?
    YSIC
    Joyce

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

5. joyce

joyce New Member

Grasshopper: Thanks for that link, interesting indeed.
    YSIC
    Joyce

6. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. joyce

joyce New Member

JDale: Thank you.
    YSIC
    Joyce

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As an equestrienne, I can tell you that Russia typically is not known for skill in riding. Germany and Austria are the two that have historically stood out and still today contain some of the best riders in the world.

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

joyce,

I have some interesting leads you might want to follow up on:

1) It appears to me that Ezek 38:1-16 speaks of the midtrib attack by the kingdom of the north ALONE (Dan 11:40) which is also, IMO, the war spoken of in Joel 2 preceding which Israel will turn in repentance to God! It could also be what Zechariah saw in Zech 12:10-14 paralleling Joel 2:12-17 and could also be the saving and sealing event of the 144,000, Rev 7 (parallels the mention of the tribes mentioned in Zech 12).

2) I believe that Ezek 39:1-6, then, is what happens to Russia alone. Notice, the northern army turned back and 5/6ths killed. Then notice that fire is sent on Magog, the nation. I believe this will be a nuclear exchange on the cities/"isles" of retreating Russia, the rising EU of AC (Rev 17:16), and the USA (Rev 18:8). (If you can't tell by now, I've really gotten into a study of end times. :) )

3) Ezek 38:17-23 speaks of the final coalition that surrounds Jerusalem made up of all the nations. Here is where Ezek 39 confirms Zech 14:12-15 and Rev 14:17-19. The thing that provides the clue that the chapter is divided this way is the phrase, "Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel,.." as if to say "aren't you ALSO he that I have spoken to the prophets about when I said there would be a last days gathering of ALL nations?"

4) Now there is one more battle that deserves mentioning because it is the next one and sets up the peace pact of AC -- Zech 11:1-3. It involves Israel's neighbors Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria whom Israel will defeat (which is why Ezek 38 doesn't mention them). The 7 year peace is seen in Zech 11:7. The account tracks with Dan 7:8, 20 in that we see the 3 shepherds "cut off in one month" of the pact, Zech 11:8 and then in Zech 11:10 he breaks his "covenant." And then we have the "idol shepherd" with the "mortal head wound" (Zech 11:16-17) -- midtrib, indwelt AC!!

Now, as to how this first war comes about --- pretty easy to comprehend now, isn't it?! Iran gets struck by Israel and uses its surrogates (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan) to retaliate.

skypair