1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Face Off Between The KJV And NIV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh please thou fountainhead of all wisdom --Enlighten this poor soul.
    Speak for yourself.
    First of all you are conflating two entirely different posts.

Secondly I said that he agreed with most of the textual decisions of the RV.

Your reply did not refute that.
    Again, you need to get yourself in order. Take a post at a time so you won't get confused.

The snips I quoted from Acts 2:47, 1 Cor.1:18, 2 Cor. 2:15, 2 Cor. 4:3 and Eph. 4:22 all involved present participles --right? Those people are going through the process of perishing. They had not yet perished.

The same principle applies to "being saved."

#141 Rippon, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 3 PM Pacific.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "He [Paul] often speaks of those who are perishing (apollymi, 1 Cor 1:18; 15:18; 2 Cor 2;15; 4;3; 2 Thess 2:10). The word perishing designates the future destiny of those who reject the gospel. Instead of being saved they are destined for destruction. Those perishing despise the word of the cross and find it foolish (1 Cor 1:18). To them the gospel has a terrible aroma that drives them away, for it is not an aroma of life, joy and peace but carries the stench of death (2 Cor 2:14-15). Satan has blinded the minds of those perishing so that they do not perceive the beauty of Christ in the gospel proclaimed by Paul (2 Cor 4:3-5). Similarly, those perishing 'did not welcome the love of the truth so that they would be saved' (2 Thess 2 :10). They perish because they find the truth repugnant and odious." (Paul :Apostle of God's Glory in Christ : A Pauline Theology by Thomas R. Schreiner, page 468).

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Salvation is comprehensive as to time also. There is a past aspect 9:24-28 '[H]e chose us in him before the foundation of the world' (Eph. 1:4). There also came a moment in every believer's past when God 'saved us and called us' effectively (2 Tim. 1:9。 There are present aspects wherein God is now saving us (1 Cor. 1:18 Gr. 'being saved')and there are instances wherein Scripture speaks of our salvation as a future goal (Rom. 13:11; 1 Peter 1:5; Rom. 5:9,10). Sometimes all three aspects will appear together as in Hebrews 9:24-28 (observe 'now to appear...appeared...will appear a second time...to save' vv. 24,26,28). [Taken from page 649 of Robert Duncan Culver's Systematic Theology: Biblical and Historical]

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC, is under the false impression that the KJV renderings are superior to that of the NIV renderings here. He said I am in error regarding this matter.

He entertains some strange ideas; doesn't he? ;-)

He might be in for a shock as to how many translations agree with the renderings of the NIV in these five verses.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! My thread is less than ten days old and already has surpassed the page and reply limit. And 1,849 views so far. Impressive. This must be a hot topic. Take note Rip.

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you have no knowledge of the original languages, some humility might be in order from you towards someone who does.

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon is on record as recommending exactly one textual decision of the RV.
    he is also on record as recommending one rendering of the Traditional Text and as recommending the KJV over the RV on more than one occasion. Having initially endorsed Westcott & Hort, he later reversed his view of them.

I am not KJV-only or even KJV-preferred, but it is as well to get things right.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aleph and B contradict each other 3000 times in the Gospels alone.

Nope. I am pointing out that CHS did not accept the Alexandrian readings, with one exception.

Thank you for proving my point regarding your failure to understand the non-temporal nature of the Greek participle.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good to get this right, for there is misinformation on this issue from BOTH those for/against CT versions!

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor teaches and preaches from the Greek and Hebrew texts, and uses the Niv as the text to explain that to the congregation with! We do not disagree on those issues that you listed.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, when he's wrong, he's wrong.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's totally false. But since this thfead is about to close, I will supply the info later on another thread.
    I agree. I will straighten you out later. It's a shame that you know so little about your countryman.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not answered my questions and your contradictions. You live in a world of confusion.

Since you have insisted for years that the NIV is so liberal, why would you stay with a local assembly where the preaching text is from the very version you have demeaned for so long?

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just in case you missed them, here are some comments by Spurgeon:
    If I have time and energy I will look some others out.

16. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, does his congregation read and speak Greek and Hebrew?

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.