1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fact-checking the McCain campaign

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 15, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fact-checking the McCain campaign

11:23 AM Mon, Sep 15, 2008 |

Sharon Grigsby

My crash course in catching up on political commentary -- after two weeks in Italy -- leaves me thinking this: Like it or not, deceptive and dishonest claims have always been the stock and trade of heated political races, but I wonder if the McCain campaign has finally overplayed its hand with this latest round of fabrications.

Just a sampling of the McCain camp misstatements: Obama supports "sex education" for kindergartners. Obama thinks Sarah Palin is a pig wearing lipstick. The Obama campaign has "air-dropped a mini-army" of researchers into Alaska in an attempt to destroy Palin. Palin never took earmarks as a governor. Palin always opposed the "bridge to nowhere."

If you're a McCain supporter itching to flame me with tirades about how the Obama camp distorts, misleads and lies, too, please save your matches. Yes, of course it does, too. As I acknowledged from the start, all campaigns do. But at the moment, the McCain camp has been doing so with such a degree of abandon that it speaks directly to some of the candidate's key claims of strength: his honor, his integrity and his "straight-talking" credibility. And that's why I think this could hurt him a lot more than any manipulation of the truth emanating from the Obama camp -- just as Hillary's fictitious sniper fire seriously damaged her key claims to substantive on-the-job experience.

- rest at http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/09/factchecking-th.html

2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

More facts to check:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/7/15/047/65542/242/549949
    74 flip flops of John McCain.
    How can this man be trusted, how can anyone in good conscience vote for a liar. This doesn't mean one has to vote for Obama but by all means it is time for Americans to take a stand and dismantle both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party. Enough is enough , a vote for a third party candidate is a vote against both McCain and Obama.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Speaking of distortions, Ken, you are the master of it, beginning (or continuing) with your promise that you were going to withdraw from the politics forum because it was out of hand and you couldn't control your responses. Turns out you are contributing to the foolishness here, it is still out of hand, you are not controlloing your responses, and you have not withdrawn like you said you would.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Pastor Larry, you are a moderator. Why don't you ban me if I am such a bad person in your eyes?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Let's see:

1.He vowed to leave the board - flip
    2. He vowed support for Ron Paul - flop
    3. He vowed support for Hillary - flip
    4. He vowed support for Obama - flop
    5. He vowed support for Ron Paul -flip
    6. He vowed supprt for obama - flop
    7. He vowed to stop posting in this section until after the election - flip

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I am not a moderator in this forum, and moderators can't ban people anyway. Furthermore, you're not "such a bad person in my eyes." However, you spam the board with silliness by reaching after the most inane things in an effort to attack certain candidates, and you don't keep your word. The first is pretty bad. The second is a serious issue.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one here has taken him at his word for a long time, anyway, Pastor.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread seems to have gotten w-----a-----y off track. Let's try to get it back on the topic ... McCain's, and let's add Palin's, campaign falsehoods. How about:

1. The claim that Obama wanted to have sex education taught in kindergarten. Not true! He wanted kindergarteners to be warned about sexual preditors.

2. Obama called Palin a pig. Not true! The 'pig' was about McCain's claim of change.

3. Palin opposed the bridge to nowhere. Not true! She supported it even after it was a national scandel

4. Palin said she visited Alaskan troops in Iraq. Not true! She visited Kuwait

5. Palin said Alaska supplies 20% of US power. Not true!

6. McCain claimed that Obama’s health care plan would "force small businesses to cut jobs" and would put "a bureaucrat ... between you and your doctor. Not true! Small businesses are exempt.

7. McCain said Obama voted for corporate welfare to oil companies. Not true! Obama voted to raise taxes on oil companies.

8. McCain said oil imports send "$700 billion a year to countries that don't like us very much. Not true! But the U.S. is on track to import a total of only $536 billion worth of oil at current prices, and close to a third of that comes from Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom. [Hardley enemies]

9. McCain has said he would increase wind, tide and solar energy. Not true! His energy plan has no increase in spending for renewable energy.

10. McCain said Obama would close markets to trade. Not true! Obama said he would renegotiate NAFTA.

Is ten lies enough to prove the point?

9. targus

targus New Member

That is part of what he thinks should be taught true. But I also heard him in an interview talk about educating kindergateners about same sex couples.

Your statement is as equally not true and misleading here. It could be argued that Obama was referring to Pailin when making his lipstick on a pig remark.

I could go on with each of your points... but you should get my point.

Calling a statement over which reasonable men could disagree upon a "lie" is ethically and morally shakey ground in my opinion.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You haven't proven any of those are lies. I hope you will forgive us for not taking your word for it, but the word of some in here is simply not all that trustworthy when it comes to attacking their political opponents.

For instance, #9 on your list is shown to be a lie simply by looking at McCain's own plan: (http://www.johnmccain.com/informing/Issues/17671aa4-2fe8-4008-859f-0ef1468e96f4.htm) And that took me just a few seconds on google to find out.

On #2, I don't know that anyone has said Obama called Palin a pig (though perhaps there are some). What Obama clearly did was reference his pig remark toward Palin. There are some whose heads are so far in the sand they still don't see it, but hardly anyone remotely objective denies that. The Obama campaign simply tried to play the attack card on it instead of saying it was an unwise remark.

So who knows what else on this list you are incorrect about. You didn't give any links to support either the fact that these are actually being said by McCain/Palin, or that they are wrong. And that is just shoddy research.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do a little fact checking. There are untruths on both sides, but McCain seems to have taken Bush's dirty tactics to a new level.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So does that mean you are going to let your untrue statements stand without correction?

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You heard him ... that is different or an addition to what McClain said in his ad. So you are adding something. So my statement is true.

McCain at first jumped all over the comment saying it was about Palin. Later, to his credit, he retracted that statement. But the ad had already been out several days ... and it was a lie. Remember McCain used the 'lipstick on a pig' phrase first.

Not really. I can give you links, even multiple links to each quote stating they are lies that McClain and Palin have spoken and/or placed in political ads.

Calling a statement over which reasonable men could disagree upon a "lie" is ethically and morally shakey ground in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What's untrue?

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dailykos wouldn't be biased, no would they? :laugh:

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not nearly as biased as you. Did you read the link listing the flip-flops? Which ones are untrue?

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What an idiotic response.

Of course, I'm biased, but no more so than you. And I'm not the one twisting facts to appease Obamanites like you.

Which ones are true? Using a biased source like dailykos proves nothing. With just a cursory glance, their bias can be confirmed.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only that, he's trying to make them stand up as true even though you and others have proven they are distortions and lies.

CTB has a habit of trying to make his false statements hold up.

Unsuccessfully, I might add.:thumbs:

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

Are you talking about the Daily Kos link? Can you prove any of them true? I will list the first five, will that make my point?

Different bills and different ways of privatization. I agree with McCain on this, it is the only way to ensure the future of the system.
    How does McCain support leaving troops longer than the Iraqi government wants? He wants the troops home more than Obama does, McCain just does not want to waste those sacrificed lives and give away our victory. Obama is even trying to keep soldiers their longer so the next administration can get the credit.
    Different tax bills are different. It is no flop to oppose one and support another. The bottom line is Obama will raise our taxes much more than McCain will. McCain looks at taxes as a way to fund government. Obama looks at taxes as a method of wealth redistribution.
    Any support or quotes for this one?
    Oh please give me a quote where McCain says he is for torture. I guess it comes back to the definition of torture but to question McCain on this one borders on insanity.

Your source is tainted, none of their points are valid, you offer no supporting evidence, and yet you want someone to answer them point by point. No thanks, why did I waste this much time?

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me where I am wrong. So far you give only your opinion. I gave you links ... you give nothing but your opinion.