1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Failed Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John R, Sep 5, 2018.

1. John R

John R New Member

I'm a member of a church plant that is closing the end of the month. We dropped to having only 5 members and the Pastor moved on. Unsure if we failed or God just has other plans. What defines a failed Church?

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, i'm sure (i hope anyway) that you all will be going to another local NT gathering. Hopefully you'll learn to enrich the lives of your other brothers and sisters with the giftings of the Holy Spirit. So in that sense, "church" wasn't a failure. We have used terms in our christian-eese that does not fit a biblical perspective. Y'all are simply gathering somewhere else.

and this is just me being curious--why can't you guys keep meeting? Maybe you have unbiblical expectations for a NT assembly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe church exists anytime two or more gather in Jesus' name. The early church met and ate together, usually in homes. Possibly meet at Mickey D's over coffee and sandwiches in Jesus' name and pray and share with each other?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

If the pastor has moved on - who is leading the church now?

Is it possible for your denomination to help in finding another mission pastor
    or could you or one of the other men lead the group?

And as Jon said - be sure to stay in fellowship with a
    sister church - and would the remanding
    members choose to attend the same church?

and at a minimum - stay in touch with one another.

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has other plans... I speak from experience... I was raised in a small family church, in fact I help erect the building when I was twelve... Started going with my folks and siblings at the age of seven... Joined the church at the age of twenty-two and was there till the age of fifty-seven... When we had to close the doors, because their were three members left, me and two sisters, eighty and ninety... Did we fail as a church?... I don't believe that, because I can look back and reflect upon the wonderful worship and fellowship I had with those blessed saints of God in the time I was there, who have long gone on to be with the Lord... I can tell you at times it was heaven on earth but then there is no perfect church I know of... At the same time the church closed its doors I lost my Christian wife of thirty years... So God had plans for me to move on too and I did... God is always in the plans... If you let go he will... Don't dwell on the past, think of the future... Surrender to God and he will do what you thought was impossible... I have a new Christian wife over fourteen years now, a new church and fellowship and worship once again with the saints of God... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. elder_jeffery_endicott

My pastor talks about a time when my home church was basicly down to nothing. There was one deacon and his wife who kept the door open. They would go sweep the church and pack the water and build a fire, but no one else would show up. This continued for what my pastor was told for a few years. People tried to get the deacon to close the doors and go some where else but he would not. Well after some time a new pastor came and after some time they had a revival in which 50some were saved. Today the church is one of most prosperous in the association

• Like Like x 2
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No failure, but as the Spirit moves.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: (pneuma) and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

NIV John 3:8 The wind (pneuma) blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

He comes and goes as He pleases.
    Move along with Him.