1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Failure to read good books

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Crabtownboy, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “The failure to read good books both enfeebles the vision and strengthens our most fatal tendency -- the belief that the here and now is all there is.”

Allan Bloom, The Closing of the American Mind

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm getting there. There can't be too many more Louis L'Amour books I ain't read yet.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

Sadly, due to my busy working schedule, and a lot of commitments, I don't have much time to read good books anymore. I hope in 2016, I would be able to read those books I have already bought, but I haven't read yet.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Books are bulky and inconvenient–like rocks, and trees, and rivers, and life. It occurs to me that everything that can be said against the inconvenience of books can also be said about the inconvenience of children. They too take up space, are of no immediate practical use, are of interest to only a few people, and present all kinds of problems. They too must be warehoused efficiently, and brought with as little resistance as possible into the Digital Age…That’s bad enough already. But children are worse than books. A book can make you see the world again, and so ruin your calm and efficient day. But a child does not need to see the world again. He is seeing it for the first time.”
    From the introduction of Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child by Anthony Esolen (2013)