1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith----A Divine Gift

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by rufus, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Everything hinges of whether a person accepts Christ sincerely or whether they retain their sins for the Great White Throne Judgment. [Rev. 20:11] When sinners stand before God it won't because they were prodded or even pushed into Hell, but because they did not receive Christ. The Biblical admonition comes to mind again. 'What think ye of Christ?' Sinner, use your free will and escape destruction!

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are being punished for their sins, of which refusing to repent and believe would be included if they heard or read the gospel.

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ken H,

You said, 'They are being punished for their sins, of which refusing to repent and believe would be included if they heard or read the gospel.'

The correct statement in keeping within the confines of Biblical theology should be, 'They will be punished for their sins, of which refusing to repent and believe was included because they heard or read the Gospel.'

Only after their rejection of Christ does God have the right to turn sinners into Hell. God does not have an illogical and imperceptible reason to damn the non-elect. Their continual rejection of Christ insures their own reservation in Hell forever.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray,

Most people who have lived have never heard of Jesus, read or heard any part of the Bible, or read or heard the gospel. They are still responsible for their sins.

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ken H,

I agree with your last post totally, at this point in my spiritual understanding. We have missionaries because humans are responsible for their sins. I do, however wonder about what Jesus meant in John 15:22 & 24; some think that this means that if sinners never hear the Gospel they will not be sent to Hell. I still would not understand how God deals with their Adamic nature of sin. Maybe someday I'll have added light from some other brother who understands this better than I do. Does the above reference jog your spiritual thoughts?

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray,

I think that the more Light one is exposed to, the more responsible he is for acting on such knowledge.

Luke 12:47-48(NASB)
    47 “And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes,
    48 but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more."

7. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Faith,

Cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

Every human hears something that causes faith to grow within.

Faith is an inherent capability that God built into man in the creation. God gave us the ability to hear, the ability to communicate, the ability to remember, and the ability to formulate beliefs based on what is heard. Sustained belief is Faith.

It is the Holy Word, that is the Gift of God. We respond to the word in faith which is believing in the Son of God!

8. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yelsew,

Nope!!!

Romans 10:10 (ESV)
    For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Genesis 6:5 (ESV)
    The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Genesis 8:21 (ESV)
    And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, "I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done.

The heart is the "organ" (spiritually speaking--not the physical heart) with which someone believes.

BUT, the heart is only evil. How then can one have a "Built-In" capacity for faith?

Your premise contradicts scripture.

Blessings,

Archangel

9. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

While the sinner has a proclivity toward doing evil; he is not totally evil. It's time to commingle the rest of the Bible along with your depravity verses.

I suggest verses like: Genesis 5:1; Genesis 9:6 {this verse is after the Fall of Adam & the world-wide Flood; God is still making men and women after the likeness of God, not the Devil and his demons. Then jump to James 3:9 under the new covenant and you will see that thousands of years have passed and the Lord is still creating men with intelligence, conscience, and a free will to choose Christ. Even you and me are created after God's likeness believe it or not.

Biblical theology does not allow wanta-be theologians to build a theology of Total Depravity on a couple of verses that remind us that man is also evil. Sorry. Always remember God has not created people after the similitude of wicked Satan, but God. This will give your theology a true balance; plus you will enjoy the truth.

10. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray,

I hope you are doing well tonight/this morning.

This is not what the Calvinist claims. The Calvinist claims that, in Total Depravity, the person is not as bad as he can be. No, it means that every aspect is, in some way, effected by the fall.

Certainly, I wouldn't say that any of us are "as bad as we can be."

I hope that clears things up. Many of the non-Calvinists on this board seem not to understand that concept. That is normal. I didn't understand it at first, either. I thougt that "Total Depravity" meant that man was as bad as possible. I was wrong and was corrected. I hope I have shed some light on this for you, as well.

Blessings,

Archangel