1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith in Action

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by chuck2336, Mar 10, 2009.

1. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Just curious about how you feel about this. I am attending a church that on one Sunday in the next few months will not have Sunday school or Sunday morning worship. Instead we are mobilizing 600-700 volunteers to go out in our community to do a wide variety of things. Things like services in jails, VBS in the park, feeding the homeless, etc. There is really a ton of other things we will be doing during this time.

My question is this, how do you feel about not having services in the AM to mobilize the church body to do all these things?

2. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

First I would have to ask as to why was Sunday chosen to do this and not a Saturday. If there was good reasoning for this, I would say it that how can one edify and worship the Lord better than doing his work.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wouldn't bother me. I'd say go for it, especially if the church still meets for evening services for preaching and bathing the visitation in prayer. The Bible doesn't say we have to meet for preaching x number of times a week. Sunday School was first started as an outreach to the unchurched. Now it seems like it's a "sacred cow" that people are afraid to change, even though there are other means of outreach.

I think it might give more people who usually don't do visitation the opportunity to reach out to the community, and to see firsthand that there is more to Christianity than just filling a pew on Sunday morning. God bless the one who thought of this idea!