1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith Received

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Jun 20, 2011.

?
  1. I believe Gods Word that He granted My Faith.

53.8%
  2. I had my own faith, God didn't give it to me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have received everything from God, including salvation, but had my own faith.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. God does not get the glory for giving me faith. I owned it inherently.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. God not only granted me faith, He also granted me repentance, and salvation.

61.5%
  6. I repented and believed by my own power (faith) within myself, God did not give it me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I praise God that He alone Granted All of it, and None of it was on my own.

61.5%
  8. It disturbs me that God grants faith to whom He Wills.

7.7%
  9. God knows best and knows to whom He should grant these things.

23.1%
  10. I simply trust God in this and in His Granting to Whom He wills to Do So

30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Please and spare me is much better than beligerent "blatantly false."

Plus, since I am what you would call calvinistic, I have to tread a little softer than your arminian like crew, as I receive a harsher punishment than they, one with infractions, while your theological like, none, stemming from your bias, right?

Quoting Arminius doesn't prove all Arminians believe faith a gift anymore than quoting the Remonstrance, where Tulip came in and used as a defence proves all Calvinists 5 point.

Calvin doesn't perfectly represent all Calvinists. The same with Arminius.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Uh, Brother, here are some scriptures to "chew" on:

Mark 5:25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,

26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,

27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.

28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.

29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.

34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

Now, "her" faith, was given by God. She could not have known that this was Jesus by merely looking at Him, and even by seeing the miracles He had performed. Many others had seen His miracles, yet still did not believe. God did this(blind their eyes), so that Jesus would be crucifed, therefore, fulfilling the scriptures concerning His death, burial, and resurrection. After Jesus died, their eyes were opened to see. But, getting back to the OP, faith is a God given gift.

Mark 9:17 And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit;

18 And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.

19 He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.

20 And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.

21 And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child.

22 And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.

23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.[/U]

24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Rom. 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Now, the times in the bible when it says "your faith", this is our faith after God gives it to us. Not all will take advantage of it though. Those who do take advantage of this gift of faith do so according to this passage:

2 Pet. 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Faith gets stronger through prayer, meditation, studying, seeking His face, etc. When God showed me that I was a sinner, He gave me the faith to believe what He was saying was true, but I didn't want to be saved at that time. That faith was still there, because He called me for years, but in my rebellion, I didn't want to serve Him. When I started listening to what He was saying, and then began calling out, that faith was there, and helped me to understand what He was saying in His Word was true.

Now, here is what happens when people "squander" their gift of faith:

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

So, according to what His Word has shown me, faith comes from God....or at least that is how I see it.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

(((((AMEN)))))!!! Concise, precise, and to the point!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Woot!!

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Faith

Is the difference between non-cal and cal is how they see the faith given by God or that one thinks it comes from them and the other from God?

The faith I received was to trust, believe in Jesus and be saved or not and continue to condemnation. The offer was made many times.

Then the preacher went to great detail of what Jesus had to go through for my sins. The description of the cat and nine tails tearing flesh from His body knowing and visualizing what Jesus did for me and I cried and went to give my life to Jesus.

Isaiah 53:5
    But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.

5. preacher4truth

Good Scriptures and points. God's Word brings life, and it brought this dead soul to life, via bestowing Grace and Mercy, repentance, faith, justification, sanctification, salvation, and some day glorification. None of this came from me, it is All Him.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I agree Brother, but repentance, I kinda wonder about. All the others you mentioned here, I am in 100% agreement with. Jesus stated in Luke 13:3,5 "Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish". So, I personally believe that when God shows us our lost state, that when we have the Godly sorrow set up, it leads us down the trail of repentance. Now, if we fail to believe what God is telling us, this Godly sorrow will not set up. If we fail to repent of being a sinner, we will die lost. So, part of me believes that repentance comes from us....but I could be wrong. Help a Brother out here, okay??

If this could cause a "derail", please start anutter thread about repentance, and where does it come from....I don't want to derail this one.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here's another verse that I think will support that faith comes from God:

Isaiah 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Jesus, when He came in the flesh, looked just like any other human. There was nothing about His appearance that "gave off" that He was/is the Son of God. They had to see Him down on the inside, and this could not be "seen" with the natural eyes, but by God revealling Him to those people around Him.

8. psalms109:31

I would love to hear myself more of this, but the last couple of threads got messy and closed

9. preacher4truth

Look in Acts 11:18... granted repentance. Look in your KJV if you have one, it is expressed elsewhere.

Romans 2:4 also suggests this too. This is another reason I say God does all of it, He reaches into our lives and saves us, we recognize it and we are overwhelmed and praise Him. I'm sure people can still go to heaven without believing repentance a gift. :smilewinkgrin:

There are more verses but I'm about through for a day.

- Blessings

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

jbh, I learned several months back not to PM preacherfortruth, as almost immediately upon messaging him he was sharing it and whining about it in the open forum. So now when I respond to him, either intentionally "sniping" with him, or genuinely sharing, I do so in open forum. The concept of "private" message eludes him.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Certainly faith as well as repentance is part of the gift of God under God's grace, but not seperate from the one exercising it. God and man work together in this area and salvation is born. So we who are saved cannot claim it to be our faith alone nor can we claim that the faith unto salvation is simply and totally a work of God. God is not violating the volition of man to save him, but rather works within man's volition supplying him what he lacks so as it can be applied accoring to man's will.

12. preacher4truth

PM is a venue reserved for some who don't have the boldness to say the same in a public forum. It's comparable to the internet and real life; those who would otherwise duck and run in public can be tough behind the monitor.

Thus, yes! I taught you a lesson about saying things in PM you wouldn't dare say in public forum, neither would you say them outside of the internet in real public life. For a minute, you are correct. Congrats! :thumbsup:

13. quantumfaith

Again you display your lack of social grace etc. YOU taught me nothing except, from that point forward, I do address you HERE and not in PM for the very that very reason.

14. preacher4truth

A lesson in grace you try to bring as you came on here solely for the purpose to try and stir things up between jbh28 and myself again? Pure malice, pure work of the flesh. By the way, jbh28 and I actually settled things in a great way in PM, but you? You have to meddle, and neither can you be a forgiving soul seeking unity nor reconciliation. But thats you, right? You want none of that, correct?

This what you do is simply and sadly called seeking to cause division between the brethren. There are Scriptures for this. But, that is your purpose and plan for the day. I'd say, not a good start. Why not walk with God instead?

Ah, the one who doggs my steps constantly on BB and indeed did gets taught a lesson by myself not to come running to me in PM saying things you wouldn't say in public. You learned your lesson, as I taught it to you well, which is obvious by what you say.

Don't be someone different in public than in private.

15. quantumfaith

I will say to you very much what I said you then, you are being disengenous here and speaking falsehoods. I am not different publicly or privately. That is utterly false. I have no "desire" to cause division, you do so much more in the manner of which you are patently disrespectful and dismissive. You go ahead and chime in the last word, for now, my last words. But I will continue to post when you disrespect someone for no good reason.

16. preacher4truth

You learned your lesson, plainly and simply.

You act one way online in public, but want to come across another privately? Don't bother.

That's why you won't engage. I exposed you for being two persons; one person in public, another in private. I can't stand falsehoods and hypocrisy, so I taught you a lesson. I'm sure your face turned red, and it should have.

You have no desire to cause division, yet, look at you and what you've done here. No, you'll continue to stir the pot and cause division with drive bys.

You just have to jump in and help facilitate arguments in hopes of making enemies out of two persons. Jbh28 and I reconciled this thing, in a Christian way.

Obviously you are still upset and to reconcile is not within your heart. You harbor within it unforgiveness. What a shame, a man so smart, yet, is missing so much spiritually by remaining in your current state of bitterness toward me. Thus, your unforgiveness and bitter spirit drive your postings here.

I don't need any of your schism inducing, division propagating posts.

17. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

So you do affirm that ALL of us are unable to come to God "in ourselves" and that we are also born depraved, that unless God enables us to know Him in a saving sense, will stay spiritually deaf/dumb/blind?

18. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Just a simple question...
    IF we are born both unable to come to God in ourselves and are born spiritual dead in sins and trespasses...

just where did your faith actually come from as a basis then?

Were you "born" with it as part of being in image of God?
    did you 'reason" your way to receiving jesus?
    Where did you get it from, and when did you?

19. psalms109:31

Spirit and life

The words of Jesus is Spirit and life and His words enables us to go in the direction by the faith God gives us provides. We can't go if we reject the very word that gives life, for then the life is no longer there. So then we are stuck in the other direction where we been headed destruction, provided by the word that also provides life.

#59 psalms109:31, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  20. preacher4truth

You express my point and question to him exactly.

This is why I say he has yet to answer. Not to drum up arguing, just to get that answered would suffice.

That's what the OP addresses, since you didn't get it from God, and we all know everything comes from Him that we receive, where in the world did you get it then? But I suppose some do not think they have received everything from God.

The Scriptures clearly teach that believing faith comes from God alone. Romans 10:17 for instance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.