1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Bob Krajcik, May 19, 2005.

1. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Confessions available freely, for use with SwordSearcher
    http://www.bright.net/~bkrajcik/swordsearcher_modules.htm

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Bob

Good thoughts and IMO the weight of the evidence is on "our" side.

Bill

3. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

John Bunyan said of the faith: “...the faith that is wrought by the exceeding great and mighty power of God; the faith of the operation of God.” That shows the faith is a gift of God, and is not natural to man.
    I am finding no reason not to accept what is shown in the English Scriptures, that being faith is the gift of God granted to those to be saved (Eph 2:8).

4. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

I am really enjoying this study. [​IMG]

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

My understanding of Eph 2:8-9 is that Paul is trying to teach that salvation is by grace and NOT of works. He isn't trying to compare three things (faith,grace,works). Faith and grace are part of the ONE idea and works is the OTHER idea. When he says that you are saved by grace through faith he is contrasting that with the idea that you are saved by works. He is saying that salvation is "not of yourselves" that is is a gift by grace through faith. The whole concept of "by grace are ye saved through faith" is the "that" that is being contrasted with "not of yourselves". Try reading it without putting a verbal accent on the word "that" and instead put the verbal accent on "not of yourselves".

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I am really enjoying this study. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]===

Bob

Good! That should be one purpose of BB-to encourage study. Oft it seems that BB is used just to attempt to shove doctrine down another's throat by bullying and not by sound reasoning.

Bill G.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Well, anyway you slice it or parse the sentence, faith, like salvation, is the gift of God. Faith toward God is not something that is either inherant in man or is developed through natural causes. It is a supernatural act of God in His elect.

8. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

OldRegular:

Yes, that it is. Faith is fruit of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22 (KJV) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

By grace,
    Bob Krajcik
    Mansfield, Ohio

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Belief is, by definition, something I do. Why would God ask me to believe Him if I had no choice in the matter. God gave us the ABILITY to believe. He did not give us the actual exercise of that belief. If God gave the actual belif to all of the elect then all of the elect would believe the same thing. There are differences in belief because people choose what they are going to believe.

10. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

As I understand the Scriptures, the Lord does not simply attempt to save His people, He actually does save them (Matt 1:21). Faith, our believing, is a gift of God (John 1:13; 6:28-29; Acts 13:48; 18:27; Rom 3:22; 9:16, 18, 22; 10:17; 12:3; Gal 2:16,20; 5:22; Eph 1:19; 2:8; Phil 1:29; Heb 12:2; Tit 3:5), faith a fruit of the Spirit wrought in man by the operation of God. There is no faith, unless a man is first born again, of the Spirit of God. First, one must be born again, then they have faith. There is no fruit of the Spirit apart from the Spirit. As it is written, But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

By grace,
    Bob Krajcik
    Mansfield, Ohio

11. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Cart-Horse or Horse-Cart. The Bible is not contradictory.

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,

It doesn't say get saved and you will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

12. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Cart-Horse or Horse-Cart. The Bible is not contradictory.

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,

It doesn't say get saved and you will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Perhaps the horse was running to fast, so you didn't get of clear view?

There must be a work by the Holy Spirit. Faith is fruit of the Spirit. There are those that like to say their faith is not of the Spirit but is their own natural faith. They may insist, but it seems they are going by some other way, based on what I am seeing from the Scriptures, for salvation is of the Lord (Gal 5:22; Col 2:12; Phil 1:29; John 1:13).

13. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Does salvation require passing a Bible quiz? I think not. If one had to pass a bible test to be saved there sure would be plenty that would have missed out, that are now saved. Salvation is not based on how smart one is. What does salvation have to do with everyone knowing all the very same things from the bible? Eph 4:13

It is no proficiency test score that gives me a clear conscience and confidence before God. Christ died for my sins. With that, I know my election, and am able to understand Eph 1:4 even if others do not like it.

By grace,
    Bob Krajcik
    Mansfield, Ohio
    June 14, 2005

14. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

You must be born again to be saved. The Holy Ghost draws one to Christ, at the Father's command. There is where the faith comes from, by the operation of God, for it is given in the behalf of Christ.

John 6:44 (KJV) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Philippians 1:29 (KJV) For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

15. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

If you have come to Christ, thank God.

Psalms 116:12 (KJV) What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?

13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.

If you are of the mind you got saved because you were smarter, or better than another, or it was just an acidental encounter, and you just felt all by yourself that you have done the right thing that needed doing to be saved, I suppose you can thank yourself.

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I have to agree with Dr. Bob.
    There are two faiths.

Everyone who is saved by grace must have faith that Christ is the Christ.

Yet, not everyone who is saved by grace excercises the faith to move mountains.

17. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

I agree, there is a faith that is natural to man, then there is the faith once delivered, faith by the operation of God, whereby we believe.

Acts 16:31 (KJV) And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Love so amazing, grace divine, that God would save a sinner such as I, plus a multitude that no man can number.

18. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Today I was thinking about the moving the mountain verses, plus the ones about doing grater works. It sure takes the wind from my sail, but I think realizing every such thing must be according to God's will. That is not the usal way of thinking, for much of our time is excercising our own will based on our own desires, and perhaps giving lip service to the Lord as we do our thing. I am speaking about myself here.

Having ones desires match God's will is certainly not natural to man.

John 14:12 (KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

19. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

20. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

1 John 5:4 (KJV) For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Ephesians 2:8 (KJV) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: