1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faithful God Lyrics

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Mar 4, 2011.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

I was listening to a hymn today. The lyrics said something along the line of “God never fails, he has always been faithful to me, never let me down, I have no regrets from following him.” That is not word for word of course, but something along those lines. We have all heard similar songs before.

I don’t doubt the sincerity of the author or singer, but what is the message that song is supposed to bring to the rest of us? I don’t believe I am that abnormal a Christian. I have often felt that God has failed me, let me down, and I have had many regrets. Now I am NOT saying God has let me down. I believe God knows what he is doing and perhaps someday I will understand. Perhaps not, but that is beside the point. The point is that for most of my saved life I have felt deserted, rejected, and let down and I have had many regrets. Again, I know God was there, it just didn't feel like it most of the time.

When I hear a song like this, and there are many of them, I immediately feel like a second class citizen in the eyes of God. Why has he let me down so many times when he never failed the author of this song. If God could come through for them, why couldn’t he come through for me? What is wrong with me? Did I not give him all I had and serve him as faithfully as the author of this song? Why do I feel that I have given all and received back so little.

I know that these are my problems not God’s and that someday I will understand, but songs like that depress me so much. I don’t understand why so many of them are sung. Are there that many people out there who feel God is faithfull? Am I so unusual for being beset with doubt and fear? If God has been so good to them why does it feel so bad when they rub it in my face?

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

NCT, There have been times in my life were I've felt kind of like what you are talking about. I have questioned him at times, mostly while trying to get established in a career, and when I was single. At this point in my life I can look back and say that God has always been faithful, he was working in different ways in my life even when I didn't see it or feel like he was. All I can say is look to the scriptures:

Joseph - ups and downs, brothers sold him into slavery, Potiphars wife, etc. God still had a plan.

Moses - tried to do what he thought was right to help his people, went from Prince of Egypt to sheepherder, in the desert for 40 years, all this time God was preparing him for his purpose, teaching him patience/trust.

Look at the Apostle Paul, he didn't have an easy row to hoe: 2 Corinthians 11 - 24Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. 25Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

Through it all Paul focused on God's Plan for his people through Christ: 2 Corinthians 4 -14Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you. 15For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. 16For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. 17For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; 18While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, songs like that don't necessarily mean that God doesn't allow grievous circumstances in one's life.

Those type of songs, to me, mean that God has faithfully walked and will faithfully walk us through those times.

Consider David's psalm .....

In the first 4 verses, David is SURE that God has forgotten him and is terrified of the enemy. Yet in the last two verses, he remembers to rejoice in God's salvation and praises God in song because God has dealt "bountifully" with him.

He rejoiced and praised and sang despite the circumstances. He trusted in God's faithfulness and bounty more than he feared the enemy.

I say play the song again and crank it up!! God knows when we hurt and are swallowed up in fear and more importantly, He knows why. And He is faithful - either to bind up our wounds and heal us or to allow us to suffer the wounds and come to a place in our relationship with Him that we wouldn't otherwise be.

I have a friend who suffers untold physical ailments and pain. She is bedridden much of the time, has not been able to consummate her marriage, and yet she is the most joyful person that I know. She lives in the Netherlands. She and her husband spend a couple of hours EVERY day in prayer for other people!

Here is her motto:

Here is a link to her testimony today. She's back in the bed again after three weeks of what seemed to be a miracle healing in her life.

http://bibleforums.org/content.php/114-Praising-God-in-trials

#3 Scarlett O., Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. North Carolina Tentmaker

I understand that God is faithful and I believe it. It is just that at many times it does not feel that way.

My point is that while for the singer or writer these songs may be true, for some listeners they can be very painful.