1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faithfully, with a bit of reluctance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, Sep 18, 2020.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I’ve moved I have to admit that I’ve taken sort of a back seat in terms of actively participating in the ministry. I’ve taught on occasions, filling in various positions, but other than that I have enjoyed being a member of an audience rather than participating in the work of the church.

I was asked to take a teaching position in our church, and to be honest I did not want to because I did not want that commitment. After praying about this I know that this is just me being lazy, and more than that selfish with a valuable resource – my time. I’m just the type of person that does not like to be locked down to commitments.

But I have to be faithful and am convicted that I have not been acting in accordance to my gifts and calling. So keep me in your prayers as I start teaching again next month.

• Prayers Prayers x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any idea on the subject matter?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I no longer teach (I had been an adult Sunday School teacher) because as I aged, my physical and mental faculties have diminished to the point I can no longer respond extemporaneously to questions. As someone has said, seize the day while you can. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I was just asked to teach on a weekly basis. Before I moved I taught an adult class (we would work through a book of the Bible) and preached at several churches in the area (filling in).

Except for those times I had to preach at last minute I enjoyed preaching much better than teaching a class.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Teaching is fun in that get the human element involved!

• Like Like x 1
  6. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    JC, I marked your post "Like" but have prayed, and think your decision a "Winner." I trust it will be a blessing to many, including yourself. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can feel your "pain". I quit teaching a few years ago. Have not preached in quite a few either. I quit teaching because I got disgusted with the lack of willingness of adults to put in any effort to actually prepare for the class.

• Like Like x 1
  8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I taught SS for many years, starting with a college class & working my way up to SR adults. I quit about 3 years ago due to problems akin to Reynolds situation.
    Our class had a different teacher for each Sunday of the month, & one for the 5th Sunday, so we had totally different teaching styles to keep the variety alive.

One of the regulars declined to teach again this year, & I was asked to handle the 5th Sunday class.
    I almost declined immediately, but said I would pray about it. I felt led to accept, & have not had 2nd thoughts about it so far.

Several years before my "age" problems, I felt the urge to become a "working Pastor", but fought this "leading" cause I had a completely wrong personality for a pastor!!!!! The more I thought about it, the more negative I became toward this idea.

I finally got so upset, perturbed, aggravated ---, till I said "OK Lord, I will do as you command!" I was all set to go through a whole lifestyle change, but to my surprise as soon as I made the commitment, the entire pressure of following this path just totally disappeared.

I'm sure there was some purpose from Him, but I'm also sure that the lesson(?) was learned sub-consciously as I have been unable to consciously bring it up for discussion!!!

Of course there were the usual "good job", "interesting lesson" etc, but by far the most appreciated compliment I ever received was from a retired pastor that was visiting our class. I had walked over to greet him & introduce myself & he asked me if I were a retired pastor! He said something to the effect of, "You just sounded like a retired preacher."
    I wish now that I had queried him a bit further, cause I would like to know what specifically brought him to that conclusion. At any rate, that was the most morale boosting compliment I'd ever received!! Still gives me chills thinking about it!!

#8 just-want-peace, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like we are going to start with Ezekiel.

I'm trying to hold in my excitement, 'cause there is no better book to start a new class than Ezekiel. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, go for it. Ezekiel used prose and poetry with great impact. And he saw and described incredible events. I've never taught through the book myself, but I envy you the chance. Use the commentaries (Keil and Delitzsch is in e-Sword), study it out, add some depth so the believers have to think, and make it live. You'll do fine. :Sneaky

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great news is that ole Zec is a lot like revelation, as in n o one has them exactly right!

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always think of "Wheel in the Sky" by Journey.....so I have a long way to go :Laugh .

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, no doubt back from your "heathen days"

• Like Like x 1