1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fallen Musicians

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Sep 20, 2008.

?
  1. Amy Grant (divorced)

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Sandy Patti (infidelity/divorce)

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. First Call's Marabeth Jordan (infidelity)

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Michael English (infidelity)

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. Larry Norman (Child out of wedlock)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ray Boltz (homosexuality)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. I don't listen to "Christian" music

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. Other Christian musicians

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  9. All of the above

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  10. None of the above

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Which do I listen to?

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I don't know who YOU listen to, but I like gospel quartets.

The Ball Brothers are up and coming.

I still like The Florida Boys, The Kingsman, and other like groups.

I'd rather hear Pastor Bob and his family sing above all the others though. :)

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Fallen"?

Fallen from where? Sinlessness? Nope. None of them were ever sinless. And no "unfallen" ones are sinless either.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have no idea who any of those people are, although I've heard some of the names. The only "fallen" singer I listen to is Jimmy Swaggart. I realized that I am in no position to throw stones.

If being divorced makes a person "fallen", then that means I'm fallen--twice. My first wife was a slut who gave herself to any man who would have her (including my sister's husband) and eventually said to me, "I won't change." My second wife divorced me when she realized I wasn't perfect like she thought she was.

That's the problem I'm having with so many "Christians" these days. They're very judgmental and condemning toward others and tend to forget that they themselves are not perfect. The deacons in two different churches didn't want me as their song leader because of my being divorced. Personally, I think deacons have way more power than was originally intended. They weren't intended to be leaders in the church; they were meant to serve--like the rest of us.

How do we know we are listening to singers and musicians who are "pure". We don't know every aspect of anyone's life unless it's published in a newspaper or told on TV. I listen to the music and get a blessing from it and don't care about the person's life; mine has never been all that great. I'm too busy trying to remove the "beam" from my own eye to worry about the "mote" that is in my brother's eye.

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

....And we won't even go there when it comes to those who believe that some/all of these might also be "fallen" from grace, right?

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i did stop listening to Amy Grant and Michael English for a while, but not specifically for their issues. Larry Norman, i like, but never was a big fan, and Sandi Patti wasn't so much my style as much as others. As for Ray Boltz, i never really cared for his singing, didn't mind his music so much, just didn't want to hear him sing.
    Out of that list, i guess i would be willing to buy a CD for Amy or Michael.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Me too. I guess if I only listened to non-fallen people, my radio would be awfully quiet.

8. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

9. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

As Adrians Rogers said about King David "It's not a matter about how far they've fallen, we just don't know how low they were living."

I don't really listen to any of these, but I have respect for Sandi Patti because she has gone on air to confess her sin and ask for her fans to forgive as well. From what I have seen about Amy Grant, she was not sorry for your infidelity. To me I would rather listen to Sandi Patti and not Amy Grant.

Did you add Kirk Talley? I will still listen to him when he sang with the Cathdrals and the Talley Trio. From what I understand, he has sought repentance and meeting with pastors to deal with his sin.

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

You didnt put Elvis on the list, but his gospel albums are some of the most moving ever made.

I know he died of a drug overdose while sitting on his toilet, and that he is known for his womanizing and partying, but it has also been reported by many that he was very spiritual and loved the Lord. Perhaps his "fall" was due to the inner struggle between his faith and his worldliness, we just dont know, only God knows.

Anyway, his gospel albums are tremendous, and he is by far my favorite to listen to.

AJ

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK, we all KNOW that Elvis is still among us.

12. JDUB

JDUB New Member

What is terrible is the Ray Boltz deal. I feel kinda weird even listening to the things he has written even when someone else sings it...I know it is not right to feel that way, but can you blame me?:tear:

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

according to agent K of Men in Black,

"Elvis is not dead. He just went home."

:D

14. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: I remember him saying that ... :laugh:

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was an important fallen musician left off the poll. Although no one remembers the musical accompaniment anymore, we still use the lyrics to his songs all the time:

King David (multiple marriages, murder, infidelity)

My point is this: If the work of these "fallen" Christian artists ever had any merit, then it still has merit. If it didn't have any merit before their scandals, then it still doesn't have merit. Too much of our Christian culture has been turned into a pale and corrupt imitation of the world's culture where Christian artists (and preachers) are turned into celebrity figures. And if something goes wrong in their lives (whether self-inflicted or because of an unfaithful partner) their music gets pulled from the shelves like tainted Tylenol. Back when Michael English's affair became public knowledge, his music was pulled off the shelves at Christian bookstores, yet no one seems to be concerned about tearing most of the Psalms out of the Bibles they sell because of the immoral life of David.

These so-called "celebrities" are just people, like you and me, and often do unbelievably stupid things. Sin has infected everyone walking the earth today, and we should recognize that putting people in high-profile categories, where we consider them more important than others, is a disservice to them and to Christ. People in those positions often lose sight of their own weaknesses and become more prone to devastating sin and/or are judged more harshly, with fewer "facts", by the Christian public than someone in your own congregation going through the same events.

For instance, just because someone is divorced doesn't mean they should tell the general public all the dirty details about their spouse or their reasons for divorce. In many cases, that would be unloving to their former spouse, as well as damaging their former spouses prospects for healing and redemption. But unfortunately, people love to gossip and they concoct all sorts of theories why the couple split, usually assuming the worst of one or both parties. It's incredibly destructive. Worse yet are the ones who want to be the armchair judge and jury and make a ruling on whether or not the divorce was justified according to their understanding of Christian doctrine. Often those folks could care less about the fractured and hurting people in the broken relationship, but nevertheless want to declare who is righteous and who is unrighteous.

Regarding the one's mentioned:

Amy Grant - Have like some of her work, but not in many years.
    Sandy Patti - Never cared for her music.
    Marabeth Jordan - Never cared for First Call
    Michael English - Never like his music, although, ironically, I had to defend his music to his own so-called fans after his affair became public. If it was good before, then it was good after. (Although I never thought it was that good.)
    Larry Norman - Some of his music is okay, but I've never been a fan.
    Ray Boltz - Never cared for his music at all. I would change the radio station when one of his songs came on.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

When any person lives in one sin for 30 years, and beleives all that time this sin isn't wrong, and lives with the mind set of acceptance, and making excuses why it's ok, and has not felt the convicting of the indwelling Holy Spirit, has never saw a rerason to change, never had his mind changed, renewed by the Holy Spirit, then I seriously doubt that persons salvation. They do not show the fruit we are to know christians by, for 30 years they seen nothing wrog with sin, no reason necessary for repentance.
    Others on this list did not commit 30 year sins, do not say there is nothing wrong with what they did, and make excuses why their sin is ok to continue in.
    So fi a non christian writes a song of praise to God, is it acceptable to God as praise if they did it under false pretenses and lies.

17. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I've heard of a few of these people, although I don't listen to any of them, but I never have, so what has occurred in their lives has not affected my decision. I had only heard of Ray Boltz after the latest news came out, although I had heard one of his songs a few times over the years, the one about Heaven, which I really didn't care for, but that is beside the point ad would be a whole other thread.

I mainly listen to Linda McKechnie, Mac and Beth Lynch and a lot of Wilds music, and music we buy from different Christian colleges and ministries who visit our church. My son LOVES the Ball Brothers!! I love Steve Green in English and Spanish. If anything came up in any of these lives and hit the news, I guess I'd have to evaluate it at that time and make a decision. It's something I have just not had to really think about before.

#17 PamelaK, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  18. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Everyone is mentioning names of people I've never heard of and have no idea who they are. I like southern gospel quartets and a few soloists.