1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Falling gas prices

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. targus

targus New Member

And you are happy with $3.25 a gallon?

BTW - today the U.S. average is about $3.50

It was $1.61 on January 9, 2009

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like most liberal progressives keep saying, "It's bush's fault"...

:tongue3:

HankD

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I left California for our retirement home in Texas in mid May. When we left San Diego we paid $4.89/gallon for regular. Yesterday, in south Texas, I filled our car for $2.93/gallon. That price is caused by several things.

The first is that Texas has less tax on a gallon of gas than California. But more importantly it is because demand has gone down due to several factors.

Second the European economy is in dire straights and thus the demand in Europe is down.

Third the demand in the US is also down due to economic woes (people tend to take fewer vacations and stay closer to home when the economy is bad).

And last but not least President Obama opened the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in 2011 due to the political situation in Libya and elsewhere. The ripple effect has trickled down to the pump almost a year later (oil in the pipeline in late 2011 went to the refineries in early 2012 and is now showing up at the gas pump in your local neighborhood).

If we adjust the price of gas to inflation we get a very interesting fact. In 1965 I paid about $.35 per gallon. Adjusted for inflation that comes to about $2.35 in today's money. So, adjusted for inflation, gas has only increased by about $.50 per gallon. Now adjust the $.50 for inflation and the price of gas is only up about $.05 per gallon in 1965 dollars.

The price is not as bad as a lot of you seem to think. Compare the price of gas to the price of cars. In 1965 I bought a Chevrolet Impala SS Convertible for a little over $3,200. My 2011 Mercury Grand Marquise cost me just under $32,000. So, adjusted for inflation, the cost of a new car has gone up more than the cost of gas. ($.035 - $2.83 vice $3,200 - $32,000) :)

4. targus

targus New Member

Today's national average is $3.50 per gallon not $2.35 - huge difference.

Your adjustment of the supposed 50 cents per gallon increase to 5 cents is invalid. You are adjusting it twice for inflation.

So a 50 cents increase over your calculated $2.35 inflation adjusted price per gallon is still about a 20% increase.

At the actual $3.50 average price it is almost a 50% increase.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me guess. You did NOT major in math?:)

6. billwald

billwald New Member

In terms of buying power per hour worked, the working class has had its net income cut in half in the last 20 years.