1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured False teachers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SolaSaint, Nov 16, 2012.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

No one is saying to tear down anyone, Peter tells us to defend the faith with gentleness and respect. But this doesn't mean we don't call a spade for what it is. Exposing heresy is not tearing down, especially if it is done out of love for the church and the truth of His word.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Our SS lesson today was about false teachers, from II Peter 2, and Jude's letter.

One think we have to be careful about is escalating an honest difference of opinion into a heresy fight.

For instance, I don't think non-Cals are heretics or false prophets. Some of the greatest Christians I have ever known don't see the doctrines of grace in the same way I do.

I do realize that some non-Cals may view what I believe as heresy, or unbiblical.

Is your view of eschatology a test of orthodoxy? Most of us would say no, but I can remember a time in my home area where any view other than the pre-trib rapture was considered ultra liberal. And, you might not be saved.

Maybe it would be useful to list those doctrinal views which you think are heresy, and those who teach them are false prophets.

I think most of us agree on the deity of Christ.

What about the prosperity gospel, or Word Faith?

Eternal Security. If you doubt it, are you a false prophet?

Join right in here.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe the Word of Faith doctrine is a heretical movement. I have posted a number of times on this board 16 points of their doctrine [Extracted from a book by either Hanegraff or MacArthur.] that clearly shows their heresy. I also believe there are heretical elements in the Roman Catholic Communion: The Papacy, the continual sacrifice of Jesus Christ [though they deny t], the mediation role of the priest and Mary, penance and works based salvation; possibly the hierarchy.

#23 OldRegular, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  4. SolaSaint

It's funny you mentioned Rob Bell and McLaren, those are the only two heretics I mentioned Sunday in class. I know there are more, but yes these two are big because they attract many unsuspecting souls.

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure I agree. The Word of Faith is a false movement and teaches lies, but not sure if I would call it hell bound heresy from what I know of it, but then that may depend on the church and or teacher presenting it. The New Age Movement, and the PostModernism movement seem more hell bound than the WOF movement. Brian Mclarren and Rob Bell are not in the WOF movement, but are in the postmodernism movement and teach far bigger hell bound lie than the likes of people like Osteen.

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't about that one. He is deceived by psychology and has questionable views, but not sure if I would call him a false teacher. He does affirm the essentials of the faith. I would question his psychology based teachings and I would not read his books, but I don't thick he is a false teacher, he jus just someone that is infantile in his teachings.

7. OldRegular

If the following doesn't convince you that Word of Faith is heretical then What does it take?

#27 OldRegular, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  8. OldRegular

A little more on the heretical Word of Faith movement!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Faith

9. OldRegular

More of the Word of Faith heretical teaching! The teaching of these people goes to the very nature of God and salvation and is an abominable heresy.

#29 OldRegular, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  10. SolaSaint

I would agree the WOFers are heretics. I don't think Rick Warren is false, but I truly think he has led many by marketing ploys instead of the gospel. Not sure where that will land him with God, I think Osteen is false for the main reason that he doesn't proclaim truth in scripture. Bell and McLaren are easy calls since they blatantly spew unbiblical ideas. Sadly many good people follow them all. But Jesus, Peter, Paul and Jude all warned us didn't they.

11. OldRegular

Yes they did and in my opinion a preacher who is doing what God desires will do the same.

I have told this story before but it is appropriate.

Several years ago I was teaching a class of senior adult men. One Sunday a man made a remark as follows: "Jesus Christ had to go to hell to be purified."

I ad never heard such nonsense so asked the man to provide Scripture to support his assertion. Obviously there was none.

Some month later he made the same remark. I reminded him of my previous request that he provide Scripture to support his assertion and that if he could not provide Scripture not to make that statement again. He left the class sometime after that.

At that time I was unfamiliar with the WoF heresy but believe that is where he got that damnable heresy. It is the same heretical teaching that I have shown above as being spouted by the WoF!

12. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Its fairly easy to recognize the likes of Kenneth Hagen, Benny Hinn, Paul Crouch and the TBN Crowd as false teachers But there is one area that flies under the radar and that is the home Bible Studies lead by little ole ladies (or little ole men) who get the "call to teach" and start their own bible study on their home attended by a small group of their friends on tuesday night. This is through ignorance and not intended to mislead any one. It is the lack or inlightenment or understanding. It is as far out as Oprah in some instances. We had one good intended person in our church Bible study actually teaching Eastern Mysticism.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    basically, ANY who speaks/writes the official doctrines espoused by WoF/prosperity/self esteem crowd

Roman catholic church

jesus only

"Christian cults" like JW/Mormons etc

Also liberals theology that sees all religions equal, jesus just a way to god etc

Black liberation theology see rev Wright!

#33 Yeshua1, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  14. SolaSaint

Jesus only? You consider this heretical? What do you add to Jesus for salvation?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    meant the "jesus Only" United pentacostalists, who have one HAS to be baptised in name of jesius only, and speak in tongues!

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Anyone who varies from the Diety of Christ is a false teacher. That goes for those who do not believe in the Trinity. Generational baptism is false doctrine. Losing salvation is false doctrine.

No doubt there are other areas, but I would not include differences over Creation, End Times, or God's sovereignty. While I think KJVO does a lot of harm to the Christian faith, I would also not call them false teachers.

Anyone who says there is more than one way to God is a false teacher.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about those holding to sacramental Gracings, such as catholics/Luthereyns ?

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, I would call that false doctrine. Additions to the Gospel. As I said above, I did not mention anything. I should have said anything that alters the Gospel, such as baptism for salvation. Also, the magical quality that Catholics put into the Lord's Supper is false doctrine. It makes a symbol of the blood and body of Jesus Christ a mockery by turning it into a magic act. The mystical presence, the wine becomes His blood, wafers become His body, etc.

19. OldRegular

I would say anyone who denies the Sovereignty of God is a false teacher.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    depends on IF you state that it means that one is saved soely of the basis of the Cross, but that God has chosen out those who will receive the benefits from the Cross or not!

basically, calvinism as regarding salvation!