1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Falwell Funeral

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jshurley04, May 22, 2007.

1. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Rules

Dan,

Don't spend a lot of time on this b/c he is a legalist and does not understand the freedom and liberty that we have in Christ. He also does not understand that Jesus came and attacked those that were keeping the commandments of God perfectly and called them whited grave boxes and full of death. They had a heart problem that was keeping their perfect keeping of the law in a state of sin. He seems to not understand that God looks on the heart first and the actions second.

He is a classic Pharasee. Do as I say and not as my heart does.

2. His Blood Spoke My Name

The coming of Christ did not negate the OT laws. As a matter of fact, Jesus said

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Man still has to abide by the law given down to Moses and the Prophets, that has not changed

If one follows the commandments spoken of by Jesus in Matthew 22:37 - 40, one will indeed have kept the ten handed down to Moses.

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

Preaching and teaching the commands of the Lord is not being a legalist. If the commands are too hard for you, js, you need to have a talk with the Lord.

According to John, the commandments of the Lord are not grievous. If you think they are, something is definitely wrong.

#23 His Blood Spoke My Name, May 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I didn't say Jesus negated anything. What you quoted actually explains my point...that Jesus is the one who fulfilled the law.

How are you doing on keeping the ten commandments handed down to Moses?

5. His Blood Spoke My Name

As I walk with Christ, I do not break any of the ten... how about you?

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Good attitude, JDale. I watched the funeral, and I will not pass judgement since a funeral is strictly up to the family and the friends. Of course, since he was so well known (thank goodness he was well known - a man that stood up for his convictions) they followed a certain amount of protocol, inviting the White House to have someone speak, having the daughter speak (since the sons speak often enough) and having spectacular music (which DID proclaim the Gospel, if you listened)

Watched it from start to finish, and the best comment I heard was something along these lines - He didn't get into Heaven because he was a great man of God, accomplishing so much and being well known, he got into Heaven because he was a lost sinner, saved by grace, and knowing that the death, burial, and ressurection of Lord Jesus was the only way to make it into Heaven and into the view of an Almighty God.

I felt that that comment would direct lost people to seek the truth.

Debbie Mc

7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm........you are super human?

8. His Blood Spoke My Name

not super human, but when one relies on Christ, one does not have to sin.

His Spirit is able to keep us from the hour of temptation... do you not agree?

Not only is God able to keep us from that hour of temptation, but it is promised in His Word that He will keep the feet of His saints.

I believe His Word.

#28 His Blood Spoke My Name, May 24, 2007
  9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Keep in mind...HBSMN does not sin.

And even if he does...he has a "two-tiered" system of sins. He doesn't commit any "bad" ones, such as breaking one of the "big ten" or a "bad sin." He doesn't stumble in any of the "bad areas." Because according to him, Christians cannot disobey a commandment or commit a "big sin." If they do, they're not saved.

We've had several online debates, and that is the conclusion I've come to.

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Even thought I am 100% in Christ...and Christ is in me, I'm pretty foolish at times. That doesn't mean I am apart from Christ. It means my flesh is at war with the Holy Spirit in me. Most of the commandments I don't struggle with....like murder and stealing. I don't usually have the temptation to lie.....but I imagine if I were to look back, some things would pop up. Basically I'm pretty jacked up....but walking with Jesus nonetheless. He usually points out my errors, but I am definitely being transformed, yet not completely like Jesus.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, what he is saying is that we as Christians are lead by the Holy Spirit within all of us, not by memorizing a set of rules and forcing ourselves to obey, ie the definition of a Pharasee.

It can safely be said that many if not most here did not agree with Mr. Falwell at times. That is not the issue.

The issue is that it would take a blind man not to see the work of God in his ministry. For you to nit pick every little word uttered by others, for you to ignore the work of God over the span of time, shows a lack of vision and lack of faith in the ability of God to work out his purpose.

It is like you are monitoring every little action, and when something comes out you do not like, you pounce on it. Hope you are enjoying your long flowing robes, place in the market, and attention from passers-by.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is baloney, we all sin every day.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==There are several "problems" with this statement.

1. It is too narrow.

The "ten commandments", as they are commonly called, are not all that God requires. Just because a person does not break any of those commandments does not mean he/she has obeyed God.

2. It is too superficial.

Obeying God is not just about external actions (what a person does/does not do). It is also about thoughts, motives, intentions, etc. Nobody, but Jesus Himself, always fully obeys God.

Are we to believe that you never have wrong motives? That you never have an angry/unloving thought? That you always, perfectly, put Christ first above everything/everyone else? Are we to believe that you never have a sinful thought (of any sort)? Are we to believe that you always treat others exactly how you would be treated?

I think we need to be direct and say that none of us are sinless. The Word of God, which you say you believe, says:

"If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us" -1John 1:8

We all sin. We may not be guilty of the "big" sins (adultery, homosexuality, murder, etc) but we still sin. We act with wrong motives, we get angry with people for no (good) reason, we don't always put Christ first as we should, we don't always follow Him as we should. Thankfully that is why there is grace (1Jn 2:1-2). If you believe you don't sin, then I must assume you believe you are in no need of grace?

#33 Martin, May 24, 2007
  14. His Blood Spoke My Name

Seeing that you seem to pounce on everything Godly that I stand for, you must be preaching to yourself.

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

HBSMN, have I ever told you I like the little eagle head that is next to your name?

It is pretty cool looking.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So are you saying there are times when you do not walk with Christ?

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I think it is safe to say that we are all pretty jacked up...even as we walk with Jesus. Isn't that WHY we walk with Jesus?

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Hey, its almost 5 PM. Time for you to put a rope on your ankle, go behind the curtain, dance a jig, and burn your incense. Then you can come out and sacrifice 3 lambs, four rams, 16 chickens, and a partridge in a pear tree.

#38 saturneptune, May 24, 2007
  19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I were so tired and slept for more than 24 hours that would be difficult to do.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If a frog had wings, he wouldnt bump his butt.