1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Family Background

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by David Michael Harris, Apr 16, 2005.

?
  1. Yes, Christian

94.1%
  2. No, non-Christian

5.9%
  1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I am interested to know whether you came from a Christian or non Christian family now that you are a Christian.

2. David Michael Harris

I come from a non-Christian background btw. My only contact with church was weddings and funerals. I am eternally thankful to God for saving me.

David

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good one David, look to see how this is responded to.

4. billreber

billreber New Member

Many of my ancestors have been Christians, and so I answered "yes". But even so, it took me 18 years to learn about Jesus' love (my fault, not theirs).

My mom (still living) and my grandmother (died at age 94) prayed regularly for me, and now I am praying regularly for each child I teach in Sunday School (no kids of my own). Keep praying, folks, for the ones you love. God answers!

Bill

5. HOHNancy

HOHNancy New Member

Ok, let's see....

My great-granparents on my mother's side are Christians.
    My Dad's parents both came from Christian homes.
    My Mother's parents both came from Christian homes.
    My grandfather (Mom's dad) was a deacon at his Baptist church and he also sang bass (yes, he had a very deep voice) in the chior.
    My grandmother (Mom's mother) was a Sunday School teacher.
    Mom was a piano player at church, a Sunday School teacher, and sang in the chior in our old church.
    Mom's siblings are all Christians (one of them has a Doctorate (he earned his) and is now a preacher at a Jacksonville, FL Baptist church - he also had written a couple of Christian books).
    Only a very FEW are not Christians, unfortunately, but the MAJORITY on both sides of my parents are Christians. [​IMG]

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Dad's side:

G-grandparents were Church of Christ and my grandparents grew up in that church.

Dad was nothing, his parents were both alcoholics and never attended church after they grew up. Dad did go a few times with his Uncle Bill to an Evangelical Church.

Dad went to our church occassionally over the last 35 years, but he didn't join until 2 years ago, and he was ordained as a deacon last year.

Mom's side:

Her maternal line has been Primitive Baptist for at least 200 years. She was baptized in 1971 and was a charter member of our church, as was my grandmother.

Her dad was not raised in the church, although he was sprinkled in the Methodist Church as a baby. He died 2 weeks prior to the day he wanted to be baptized into our church.

I was raised in my home church and was baptized at age 9.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

My parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc. were all Christians and active Baptist church members except for the Wards. My Grandfather Ward was from a Jewish family but got saved at a revival in his 40's. One of my grandmothers was 1/2 Choctaw Indian but she'd been raised in the Baptist church. [​IMG]

I was saved at 8 years old during VBS. [​IMG]

My husband, also a member here, came from a Christian family. His parents and grandparents were active in their Baptist churches, too. We don't know much about his great grandparents on his father's side. They came from Italy and died when Jim was young. On Jim's mother's side, the great grandparents were Christians and raised their children in church. [​IMG]

9. Kayla

Kayla New Member

i didn't have a good responce for me, both my parents are christians, although I don't know their hearts so I can't say that 100%, But my dad comes to church when he can, as law enforcement, he works crazy shifts, and my mom comes when she "feels" like it.

10. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I came from a cultural catholic family...growing up in South Louisiana where there are more catholics than people, it is pretty common to find religion to be more cultural than anything.
    I am thankful for growing up catholic though, i knew who Christ was and what He had done for me...i just had no idea what to do with that until i was 18.
    Now i'm pastoring an SBC church.

11. David Michael Harris

It would be nice to have some more votes and comments on this one I think!

12. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was raised in a Christian home, SBC. Both parents committed Christians. I think my name was on the Sunday School roll before I even got home from the hospital. Saved at 14, now pastoring a SBC church.

My wife was from a non-Christian home. She was saved as a teenager at a Billy Graham film. It was tough for her to grow as a Christian with absolutely no encouragement, and often a great deal of discouragement at home. But she did. God is good!

13. David Michael Harris

Thanks for the imput, and yes God is more Gooder ( TERRIBLE ENGLISH :) ) than we know.

David

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Christian and non-Christian influences in the family.

But, :jesus: saves!

15. David Michael Harris

What influences God to save? His love obviously, but not all will be saved!

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Very fortunately, both of my parents were strong Christians, and brought me up in the faith. My dad was a Baptist pastor for most of his life (now with the Lord) and my mom is still living. Both sets of my grandparents were Christians (one side Baptist and the other side Christian church). My wife grew up nominally Catholic, with her (and her parents) becoming Christians later in life.