1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Family Background

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Apr 18, 2005.

?
  1. Christianity

87.0%
  2. Heathens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Alcoholism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Red-Necked

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Physical Abuse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Drug Abuse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sexual Abuse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Catholocism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Emotional Abuse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No High School Graduates

4.3%
  11. No college graduates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. No higher than an elementary education

4.3%
  13. More than one college graduate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. More than five high school graduates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. High Society

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Slavery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Boat People

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Swam the river

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Green cards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. I don't know my family history

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Poor Health

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Scarlet Fever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Polio

4.3%
  24. Revolutionary war

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What is in the last three generations of your family background?

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Dad's side:

Grandparents were alcoholics who did not attend church, although Grandpa was raised Church of Christ. They were very physically and mentally abusive to each other, often times attempting to kill one another using knives, etc. Neither graduated high school. Grandpa had polio as a boy, and consequentially his left leg was over an inch shorter than his right. They were married for 25 years when Grandpa died of a massive heart attack in combination with a severe asthma attack. He was found by my dad with a lit cigarette still in his hand. (Let that be a warning to you smokers.)

Dad was not raised in the church, and for the 1st 30 years of his and mom's marriage he did not attend. He was baptized 2 years ago May 2nd and was ordained as a deacon 1 year ago Easter.

Mom's side:

Mamaw was raised Primitive Baptist and was baptized in 1957. Her brother is a preacher as is her nephew, her Uncle, and about a dozen first cousins (btw, she had 65 first cousins on her mom's side and 25 on her dad's side). Mamaw's dad served as the clerk of Ebenezer Primitive Baptist Church, Hubbard, TX, from it's constitution in 1925 until his death in 1949. He also served those years as one of two official church messengers to the Association.

Mom was baptized in the PB church in 1971. Papaw was an alcoholic, but gave up drinking in the last few months of his life. That is what led to his bodily functions shutting down during the last month. He died 2 weeks prior to his requested baptism. Papaw was sprinkled Methodist as a baby, as was his dad, but they rarely attended services.

As I said in the other thread, Mamaw's branch of the family has been Primitive Baptist for about 200 years, and Particular Baptist before that. There is also a small mix of Lutheran back in the late 1600's.

Is that enough info for you? :D

3. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Mine were just non-christian, my grandma went to the local gospel hall but I dont think she was born again. And one of my relatives was a drunk in the Rhymney valley and got saved during the Welsh revival in the early 1900's

A lot of my grandparents had Bible names and gave the children Bible names but were they Christian? I dont know.

David

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Very, very fortunate to be brought up in a Christian home and have a Christian heritage.

Both of my parents were Christians. My dad was a Baptist pastor in the Atlanta area for close to 50 years. After he retired, he worked for a mission board until he passed away last year. Mom was (and still is) a very strong Christian women, though she doesn't miss being the "preacher's wife." Both sets of grandparents were Christians too; I never knew my great-grandparents, but understand they were Christians. I hope to pass this legacy on to my children and their children as well.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

My family is cajun...so technically i can check just about everyone of those blanks! ROFL!