1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Famous Four-Pointers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by StefanM, May 26, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Very true J.D. :thumbsup:

2. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

4 pointers

My Evangelical Dictionary of Theology states that "A H Strong, L.S. Chafer, R. Baxter were proponents of the doctrine that Moise Amyraut proposed in the 17th century. Amyraut insisted that the chief doctrine of Christian theology is not predestination but the faith that justifies.
    Amyraut contended that although humans posess the natural faculties by which to respond to God's universal offer of grace, they in fact suffer from moral inability due to the corrupting influence of sin upon the mind. Thus, unless renewed by the Holy Spirit, the sinner is unable to come to faith. Since sinners are not capable of coming to Christ on their own, God in grace wills to create faith and to save some, while in justice he wills to reprobate others.
    In practice the Christian preacher must not ask the question whether a given individual is elect or reprobate. Rather one must preach Christ as the Savior of the world and call for faith in his sufficient work. Only the universal, conditional will of God is the legitimate object of religious contemplation. Amyraldianism thus involves a purely ideal universalism together with a real particularism."

3. gopchad

gopchad New Member

Lewis Sperry Chafer of DTS fame was a "four pointer". Hoyle Bowman at Piedmont Baptist College (www.pbc.edu) has a tremendous defense of unlimited atonement as well. It is probably available in the book store.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew that this would evolve into a debate. I hoped that my comment would produce at least a few posts naming individuals. I had no real expectation of a debate being avoided.