1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fantasy Football league Registration is open

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Jun 27, 2007.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

DEF = Team Defense, i.e. the Chicago Bears defense

DB = Cornerback or Safety, i.e. Charles Woodson (CB) or John Lynch (S)

DL = Defensive Line or Linebacker, i.e. Shawne Merriman or Brian Urlacher

D = Either a DB or DL, your choice

W/T - Starting position can be filled by a Wide Reciver or Tight End

W/R - Starting position can be filled by a Wide Receiver or Running Back

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

How hard is it to read the league settings to see the scoring system and then draft players that do well in those areas?

Seriously, you don't know what the abbreviations stand for?

3. Scrappinmommyx4

Scrappinmommyx4 New Member

Personally, I like having the individual defensive players. If you even watch a little football, you are famillar with defensive players and which ones are good, but if you don't its not that hard to look at their stat to see which ones are better than others. But then again, most of the leagues i have played in have had individual defensive players.

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

This is the only one that I play in that has individual defensive players, I prefer for simplicity sake to not have them but this is how this leage is set up and I chose to play in it so who cares what I prefer!

My only problem was yahoos rating of the defensive players - I had to leave after I drafted my offense and for some reason yahoo drafted the lame and infirm, not to mention the cut for my team. I think I was able to rework my team to be competitive, but I will have to be active in the free agent and trade pool all year I think to overcome this.

Good thing I had the foresight to have the #1 pick in the draft, and great player rating skills to help my offense overcome my defense :) - I will be running the run and shoot and hope my O outscores my opponents enough that my D deffencies wont hurt!

5. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Be nice. How hard it is or is not to "read the league settings" (whatever that means) is not the issue. I searched the site for mention of the terms and was unable to find mention of most of them. And the abbreviations are different than on nfl.com and espn.com, where I've played for 6-8 years. To this day I don't know what my new waiver rank is and when the waivers will be run next. The site has many odd quirks to a new user. Prior to our draft, my attempts to enter the draft room to see the positions to be drafted and research elsewhere the number of players of each position would be active on a team at one time were not successful.

This wasn't a complaint. Some of you like the site and your teams. I will play mine throughout the year to maintain the integrity of the league, though I still have no idea how players on IR can be listed higher in rankings than players like say Champ Bailey.

When I saw someone from our league draft Champ, I looked at the position list and saw that he was far down the list. This implied to me that, whatever the scoring system in this league was, the players ranked above him were expected to score better. This turned out to be incorrect. And I don't think I can be expected to know that the ranking system on this site is screwed up, nor that this site does not even mark the injured players in the draft room. I should be grateful that, after I left for the second half of the draft, I didn't get an autopick of Michael Vick.

As it was, I got 2 on IR and at least 1 that doesn't have a team. So I will hope defensive players have minimal scoring impact and do the best with what I have.

But let's not pretend this site's fantasy football, or our league, is in any way normal. Most sites remove players on IR from rankings within a few hours, and have remaining players ranked in some semblance of order.

Now let's go have fun with what we've got, imo.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

On the league page there is a link in the right corner that says "settings", you click on that and it brings up all of the league settings including the scoring system that is used. Here it is:

Completions (.1)
    Incomplete Passes (-.1)
    Passing Yards (40 yards per point)
    Passing Touchdowns (6)
    Interceptions (-2)
    Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)
    Rushing Touchdowns (6)
    Receptions (.25)
    Reception Yards (20 yards per point)
    Reception Touchdowns (6)
    Return Yards (20 yards per point)
    Return Touchdowns (6)
    2-Point Conversions (2)
    Fumbles Lost (-1)
    Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
    Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
    Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
    Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
    Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
    Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
    Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-2)
    Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-1)
    Point After Attempt Made (1)
    Point After Attempt Missed (-1)
    Sack (1)
    Interception (2)
    Fumble Recovery (2)
    Touchdown (6)
    Safety (2)
    Block Kick (2)
    Points Allowed 0 points (10)
    Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
    Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
    Points Allowed 14-20 points (2)
    Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
    Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
    Points Allowed 35+ points (-3)
    Tackle Solo (1)
    Tackle Assist (.5)
    Sack (2)
    Interception (2)
    Fumble Force (1)
    Fumble Recovery (2)
    Touchdown (6)
    Safety (2)
    Pass Defended (1)
    Block Kick (2)

Thus, reading the league settings means you look at the scoring system and then you select players that have done or you think will do well with this system. So for defense, you select players that get a lot of solo tackles or a lot of sacks or a lot of interceptions. So you then go to the players plage and you find the players that got a lot of tackles, etc and you draft them.

Sure yahoo could do a better job of ranking defensive players, but you could have easily drafted players that scored well defensively. It really is not brain surgery. :laugh:

I have played in many different sites and leagues and I have found yahoo to be quite simple, easy and normal.

Let's do, I am looking forward to it. :thumbs:

7. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that Yahoo flubbed the dub in ranking defensive players and I also agree that I prefer ESPN, NFL, Sportsline, KFFL, and even Sporting News fantasy football over Yahoo. However, the key to every single fantasy league out there is to make sure you know the scoring system before you draft and also make sure you do a practice run on how to get to the draft room so you can get familar with the way everything is set up.

I suggest we close this thread and start a new one about this league as we start to play the games for real where we can comment on our weekly triumphs or let downs. Registration is over and the games are about to be played.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't care for the Yahoo rankings either. That's why I don't use them. Everyone had a choice to use them or do their own.

Remember that we drafted PRIOR to the final cut down day, so that's the chance you take. Sometimes you get guys that will be cut or traded or whatever.

I'm open to using another host for the league next year, but so many love Yahoo for its simplicity and not having to add another bookmark. My biggest fault with them is not being able to swap draft picks prior to the draft. It's a breeze to do a league in Yahoo as opposed to some others.

Now, since the season is underway, this thread will be closed soon. Thanks!