1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fasting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Priscilla Ann, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

The topic of fasting has come up in the bible study I have been attending. This is a spiritual discipline that I have not attempted before. Do any of you have experience with fasting? Do you know of any good books on different types of fasts? I feel that this may be something that God is asking me to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

God Bless!

PA

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I never fasted until about three years ago. I am now a firm believer in fasting and prayer - especially during especially challenging situation.

Never read any books - just studied each fast in the word of God.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try Don Whitney's "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life" (I think is the title). He has a section on fasting. This rest is well worth the read as well. Or try his website:

www.spiritualdisciplines.org

peace to you:praying:

4. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

PA

5. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I thought that maybe there were some different or modified fasts. I have blood sugar problems, so may have to make allowances for that.

PA

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have fasted before and practice fasting as part of the spiritual disciplines. We have lost a lot of the disciplines in our walks. It is an important, and deeply private, practice in my life. :)

The best book I can think of it called Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough by Dr. Elmer Towns. I read it when it first came out. It is terrifically helpful. Check it out here:
    http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...d=124941&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

On supplement is a free eBook by Dr. Towns and others called Fasting Can Change Your Life. It is good and can give wonderful insight from the lives of others. Check it out here:
    http://elmertowns.com/books/online/FastingChangeLife/Fasting_Can_Change_Your_Life[ETowns].pdf

I'm pretty careful when talking to people about fasting. It is an important practice but one that can be abused or even hurt someone. For instance I knew several students at my undergrad alma mater who did 40 day fasts and it caused some injury. I don't do certain kinds of fasts due to potential injury and because I've never been called to do some of them.

There is great power in appropriate fasting and praying. I recommed it to only mature Chrisitans.

Great thread:thumbs:

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

PA, try Jentezin Franklin Fasting. It's a great read on the matter.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I have a discussion on the matter, in case you're interested here.

9. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Jentezen Franklin's book is one that I have considered; it has very positive reviews at Christianbook.com. Thanks for your suggestion.

PA

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was going to suggest Dr. Towns. I've met him (he's a good friend of our pastors, so he's preached at our church numerous times) and I think he's got some great insight.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Jentezen Franklin is of the Word Faith cult. I would avoid anything written by him.

12. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I had no idea; I had never heard of him prior to his book on fasting.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

SOURCE

14. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Oh, one of those! I think I'll skip his book, and check out Elmer Towns' book on fasting instead.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:thumbsup:

:)

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You'll find that as you study through the fasts of the Bible. There is no hard fast 'fast rule.' I compiled a list of fasts with some simple questions. Email me at roger(at)ireland(dot)com if would like those.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Priscillan Ann, please read the book and decide for yourself.

There's nothing heretical in his book.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

With all due respect TCG, why would we read a book by a known false teacher?
    I'm not trying to derail this thread, but I can't let this go by. As a Baptist pastor, I'm amazed that you would encourage this. False teachers should be avoided. It's a pastors job to protect the sheep from the wolves, not feed the sheep to the wolves.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Taken from Jentezen Franklin's website:

Step 5: Fast as a Statement of Faith to Others Daniel was making a statement of faith when he asked for only vegetables to eat and water to drink, then dared the overseer to compare the appearance of the four sons of Israel with the young men who ate the king's food.

This is a direct contradiction of Jesus commands.

Mat 6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

J.F. also says that Daniel fasted (or rather ate a different diet) as a statement of faith to the king. But actually he ate differently in obedience to God and refused to live the pagan ways of the king. In other words, he kept himself separated from the pagan nations as God had commanded the nation of Israel to do. Daniel wasn't "fasting", but rather was being obedient to God.

This is common among word/faith teachers. They twist scripture to suit their desires and they also use a lot of OT teachings in their heresies.

Priscilla, I am not discouraging you from fasting. That is between you and God. But please do not follow a false teacher to learn about fasting. Go to your bible.

#19 Amy.G, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Unfortunately, discernment is not something that many believers have nowadays and I've seen so many read one book that was OK by an author then buy everything from this author hook, line and sinker. There are a huge number of books out there on any given topic and wouldn't it be better to read from an author who's foundation is solid and Biblical rather than possibly having to weed through what might not be healthy for us?