1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Father Forgive Them

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jerome, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know of one verse they can't C vs A to death.

11And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, Behold, Esau my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth man:

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How could God forgive those Christ wasn't dying for, and why would He make such a request?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I liked David's post. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

4. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Of course Christ only incedes for His elect. Christs prayers, unlike ours, are always efficacous. On the night of His betrayal, He prayed, "Father, I pray NOT for the world, but for those you have given me". Today He prays night and day for His elect, no one else.

He prayed "Father, forgive them", only in the sense that the Father would destroy those who would torture His Son.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So let me get this right...when Christ asked the Father to forgive them what He really meant in that is He wanted them destroyed.

I'm so glad we have calvinism to define these simple phrases and interactions for us! ;)

6. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Thank you!

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

While I was being completely facetious, I do want to welcome you to the board :thumbs:

8. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Thanks Brother! It's good to be here.

9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I agree that Jesus was praying for his elect apostles in the verse you quoted, but if you go on to read the rest of the prayer you will see that he also prays for those who believe in Christ through their message:

20 I pray not only for these, but also for those who believe in Me through their message.

Proof that God handpicks and sovereignly calls his messengers is not proof that their audiences are likewise individually selected and effectually made to believe in their message.

Jonah clearly was sovereignly brought to preach to the Ninevites (though outward/normative means, not an inward effectual work), but that doesn't prove that God irresistibly called particular individuals to believe his message.

I believe Jesus is expressing mercy to those who act in ignorance. Many of the same people who cried out crucify him were the same people who came to faith in Acts 2 when presented with the truth of the gospel (something hidden from them until that time).

10. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Calv1: Sorry, I don't know how to use the quote button yet. You are missing my point, Jesus was going to the cross, for in your mind, the entire world, why did He not pray for all? And your addition to my quick quote only buttress my argument. It is normative in all of scripture for God to pick some, they are refered to as the "Elect", whether it be man or angels.

Calv1: We disagree. Nice to be here by the way, this is great!

#30 Calv1, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Webdog posted...

Yes. Let my also extend a warm WELCOME to the forums here to Calv1!

May the discussions go well for you. :wavey:

12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I understood your point. I just disagreed with it. I was a 5 point Calvinist for many years, so I hear where you are coming from...I really do.

He prayed for his apostles (those the father gave to him) and for all those who would believe their message. Now, you can debate whether he means those who believe due to the effectual working of the HS or those who freely respond to hearing the gospel, but that particular point is not addressed in this passage.

I agree.

Welcome to the board!! Look forward to reading (and maybe occasionally rebutting) your contributions. :wavey:

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....but, but,...being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad that the purpose of God according to election might stand.....it is written, Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated. :laugh:

14. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Right. This is a tower than no synergist can overcome. They try to make it nations even though "Esau", and "Jacob", are in the Greek first person nouns, and even if it was nations, so what? It still shows particularity!

And what is it that "May stand"? ELECTION. Paul even uses the term "Doctring of election"

Good on you brother.

15. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Calv1: You are the moderator, does that mean if I disagree with you I'm in trouble?????? I will be as kind as can be!!!!

Calv1: Ironic, synergist's always say that the "World", in every case (See John 3:16 posts), always means "All men"

Jesus' prayer was clear, "I do NOT PRAY FOR THE WORLD, but FOR THOSE YOU HAVE GIVEN ME.

Likewise, I have been where you have been, even wrote papers and a book trying to debunk Calvinism without success to myself.

Calv1: Thank you, it's always nice to be welcomed!

#35 Calv1, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
  16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A real Reformer weighs in:

"It is also likely that in the end Esau was saved." —Martin Luther

Good on you Luther.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Luther ignored Romans 9:13. He should have known better because he included that passage in his own translation.

M.L. had no business saying such a non-biblical thing.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It is a hermeneutical stretch to say this means anything other than Jesus' petition to forgive those crucifying them. This discussion shows the bane of modern Baptist life - we don't know how to handle the Bible. We jump immediately to "What does this mean to me?' (As if that's a valid question to start with) when we should be asking "What is the natural sense of the meaning?"

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't want to chase this rabbit too far...but please supply a time when the older brother ever served the younger brother. The Lord had said "there are two nations in your womb..."

20. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Now tie that all in to Esau being hairy.