1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Father, glorify thy Name.."

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Isa 42:8​

This thread is being spun off out of my DR thread when the subject of the glory of God, especially in light to the end that God made heaven and earth and all that is in them. This topic has in view the chief end of man and what is God's highest and ultimate purpose, as revealed in Holy Scripture, for what He does.

(kids are jumping on me...back in a moment....)

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Why do we think that to say God seeks His own glory means that God is self-seeking in an ill manner?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If God has to "seek" for anything, He would not be omnipotent and omniscient.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How about "delight in"? Maybe "seek" was not the best word choice.

5. ReformedBaptist

Because when we think this way, we think from our natural mind, and not according to the Spirit of God. Or else we speak from ignorance, not understanding the things we affirm or deny.

We should begin a discussion like this with understanding what the Bible means by the term glory. The word glory means "heaviness" or weight when we examine the Hebrew term. Its idea is that of importance or significance. Someone who thinks all things are not created for God's own glory, but for man, tell us that the glory of man is more important than God's, although they may not mean to.

When Joseph revealed himself to his brothers, he said to them, "And ye shall tell my father of all my glory in Egypt, and of all that ye have seen; and ye shall haste and bring down my father hither."

What did Joseph want relayed to his father? All the power, dominion, and authority, greatness, and privelage he had in Egypt.

When the Bible speaks of God's glory, then, it is referring to His worth, greatness, authority, majesty, and supremacy.

The purpose for which everything has been made is God's glory, or for Himself. The Scriptures tell us that all things were made by Him and FOR Him.

Romans 11:36 "For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen."

All things are of Him, that is created by Him, and through Him, that is by His Word, and to Him, that is all things are designed to be summed up in Him, and fitly for His glory for ever. Amen. This leaves nothing out, in the way of creation, salvation, reprobation, et. It shows that all things originate in God, through God, and to God. He is the center of attention of all things, both now and for ever.

God acts in His redemptive purposes for His glory. Isaiah 48:9-11

"For my name's sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain for thee, that I cut thee not off. Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction. For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another."

God is telling Israel why He chose them and why He deferring his anger and why He sanctifies them. It is for His own name's sake, for His praise, for His own glory! For the magnifcation of who He is...

v12 "Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last."

Was this true of the Jews only according to the flesh? Is it not also true of seed of Abraham, the sons of God?

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved." Eph 1:3-6

Beloved, nothing has changed. And my heart rejoices in God our Saviour who continues to glorify and magnify His Name in all the earth. We are created in Christ Jesus to the glory of God, according to the purpose of His good pleasure, which He purposed in Himself before the world began.

All I can say is, Soli Deo Gloria. To God be the glory alone!

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

Little known to the "sponsor" of this thread is John 17:22 "And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:" That is, Jesus gave us "the resurrection" of the Spirit whereby we now reside in bodies of "terrestrial glory" (1Cor 15:40) shining forth to a lost world.

Our glory as believers is His glory. We walk this earth as Moses after he had been with God --- only without the veil -- showing what manner of people God's people shall be.

skypair

7. ReformedBaptist

Still throwing around ad hom attacks eh skypair? Is that your modis operandi? Sad.

Ver. 22. And the glory which thou gavest me,.... Not the glory of his deity; this is the same with his Father, what he has in right of nature, and not by gift; nor can it be communicated to creatures; this would be to make them one in the Godhead, as the three are one, which is not the design of the expression in the close of the verse: nor his mediatorial glory, which he had with the Father before the world began; this indeed was given him by the Father, but is not given to the saints: nor the glory, of working miracles; which glory Christ had, and which, as man, he had from the Father, and in which his own glory was manifested; this he gave to his disciples; but all that are his have not had it, and some have had it who are none of his: rather the Gospel is meant, which is glorious in its author, matter and subject, in its doctrines, in the blessing: grace it reveals, and promises it contains, and in the efficacy and usefulness of it to the souls of men. This was given to Christ, and he gave it to his disciples:

I have given them; as he did the words that were given to him,
    Joh 17:8,

that they may be one, even as we are one; for the Gospel was given to the apostles, and still is to the ministers of it, to bring men to the unity of the faith, for the perfecting of the saints, and the edifying of the body of Christ: or else the fulness both of grace and glory, which is in Christ's hands for his people, is here designed. This is one considerable branch of the glory of Christ, as Mediator, to be full of grace and truth; this was given him by the Father, and is what he communicates to his; even the Spirit, and all sorts of grace, and every supply of it; and which greatly contributes to the union of the saints among themselves: yea, eternal happiness is often signified by glory; and this is given to Christ; he has it in his hands to give to others; and he does give it, a view of it, a right unto it, a meetness for it, a pledge of it, some foretastes of it, and a kind of a possession of it; for the saints have it already, at least in him; and he will give them the actual enjoyment of it, and this in order to their consummate and perfect union together, as a glorious church without spot or wrinkle, or any such thing.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The weight of this, the glory of this, must be impressed upon our minds--God does whatever He does for His name's sake, which is His glory.

9. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Ec 12:1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them; Ec 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Ec 12:8 Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. Ec 12:9 And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs. Ec 12:10 The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth. Ec 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. Ec 12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

10. ReformedBaptist

If thou meet thine enemy's ox or his ass going astray, thou shalt surely bring it back to him again. Ex 23:4

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And your point is...

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam. Pop 1:95

13. charles_creech78

Ok and what is this all about. I have told you the purpose of man and why God created him. So what is your point.

14. ReformedBaptist

Quoting a series of Scriptures as a reply without any idea as to what your purpose is in quoting them, as you stated here, was as random to me as the verse I quoted back to you. So, purpose served. Perhaps you understand now why folks look with a blank stare at your replies. We are not rejecting the Word of God. We just don't understand the points your trying to make.

15. charles_creech78

Well what was your point in this.

16. ReformedBaptist

To introduce the topic.

17. charles_creech78

What is the topic?

18. ReformedBaptist

The glory of God. See post #5

19. charles_creech78

Ps 29:2 Give unto the LORD the GLORY due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

20. ReformedBaptist

Hallelujah and Amen! :thumbs: