1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite Album/CD

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Jimmy C, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I agree (except for their being glam rock).

Okay, more like stadium/anthem rock. But bands like Def Lepard and Bon Jovi are really only one step removed from Cinderella, Poison and all those hairspray bands.

2. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Blush: If you like Flaming Lips, check out Grandaddy and Sparklehorse. Those are two other excellent bands in that "Soft Bulletin", "Yoshimi" kind of sound.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I know this might be splitting hairs (no pun intended) but when I think of glam rock, I think more of the artsy, sexually ambivilent bands of the early 70's like David Bowie, New York Dolls, Sweet, Queen, etc.

4. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Oh, yeah those guys started it all, but I was kind of bunching that whole 80's big hair scene together since we were talking about Def Lepard.

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

As I've pointed out to you before, you're assuming that all Gospel music is "God honoring" and that no mainstream music is "God honoring".
    </font>[/QUOTE]No, I'm saying that when you get saved, old things should pass away, and all things become new. Meaning, if you listened to Iron Maiden when you were lost and you listen to it now since you profess Christ, then something is wrong.

6. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I really feel sorry for you if you judge everyone by their outward appearance. </font>[/QUOTE]We all have a tendency to judge by appearance sometimes. I can by no means judge whether or not that person is saved, only God knows the heart of man. BUT, first empresssions make a world of difference. I believe that if you profess Christ, you aren't to be different from the world and if you are truly serving him, you will be different.

7. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Does this mean no more recreation?

Is any secular music acceptable? Why or why not?

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I can't speak for Iron Maiden because I only know one of their songs and it's more silly than sinful but, again, you're assuming that all mainstream music is bad and you haven't demonstrated that.

9. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

U2 - Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, ATLCLB
    Radiohead - OK Computer, The Bends, Hail to the Thief
    Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
    Peter Gabriel - Us
    INXS - Welcome to Wherever You Are
    Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse
    The Doves - The Last Broadcast
    The Cure - Disentigration

10. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

What are you taking about? Are you being funny? If you are, ha, ha.
    If any music does not honor God, it is not acceptable.

11. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

What one mainstream piece of music is good? Speaking of Iron Maiden,

IRON MAIDEN
    "Number of the Beast"
    Some of the lyrics:
    666, The number of the Beast
    666, The one for you and me

Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden, said in Hit Parader:
    "We can play with CONVICTION every night, because we TOTALLY BELIEVE in the music we're performing." (Hit Parader, Feb. 1985, p.6)

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Don't believe the hype.
    This is nothing more than bad theatre.

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I've listed dozens over the various threads such as this.

14. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Don't believe the hype.
    This is nothing more than bad theatre.
    </font>[/QUOTE]It's the truth, face it.

15. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

What are you taking about? Are you being funny? If you are, ha, ha.</font>[/QUOTE]Dead serious. We enjoy recreation as sinners, so as Christians does the old enjoyment of recreation need to pass away? This seems to be what you are implying.

You didn't answer my question. Does classical music honor God, or is it not acceptable? Why or why not?

16. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

If that recreation brings shame and dishonoring to God, yes, get rid of it.
    I don't listen to classical music that much so I don't really know, but I'm sure there is some out there that is not honoring to God.

17. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

It is NOT the truth. It is nothing more than a shameless attempt at the "bad publicity" angle. The early Motley Crue albums did the same thing.

18. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I apologize if the regulars of this forum left you with the impression that you could get away with common sense statements like this. Anyone can post lyrics to a song like "Number of the Beast", but there are no short cuts to thinking here.

I enjoy music of all kinds. I do however limit myself to music which I feel has a message that is compatible with Scripture and a Christian world view. Do you see something wrong with this? Why or why not?

For someone who is so eager to burst into this forum with guns blazing, accusing people of sin, you sure act like an expert.

19. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

If music does not sing about, glorify, and honor God, it is wrong.
    Why do you have to be an expert to post here? I grant you, music is a touchey subject, but it doesn't take an expert to realize that rock music is not God honoring. It does however take for someone to be in fellowship with God for it to convict them of it.

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It is not "wrong". Sorry.

It is secular. It is Americana. It is nostalgic. It is love songs. But not wrong songs.

"Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs" implies that there are songs that are not spiritual. Does not make them "evil". Just not spiritual.

Does this make sense?