1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite Album/CD

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Jimmy C, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I've heard this for "special music" at church. It really gets the toes tappin'.

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

glhxckid,

I have to say, this is the 1st time, on any forum, regarding any form of music, that anyone has ever posted an extensive list of favorite albums and I have never heard of a single one of them.

Neither the albums or the bands.

I guess I'm not "Death" or "Dark" or "Black" enough! :D

Mike

3. glhxckid

glhxckid New Member

Well, yeah, most of those bands are Black, Progressive, and Death Metal, but most of them are also solid Christians bands too (a few aren't, though). Alot of them are also Folk and Ambient music too, but topped off with metallic guitars and some screaming. You should maybe search for some of those bands, because alot of them aren't heavy at all, and you may like...

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

glhxckid,

About the closest I get to "progressive" would be the spectacular group IONA. Have you heard of them? Its actually the Celtic sound of their music and the awesome lead guitar work that I like the most, but they bring some celestial sounding synth and keyboards into the mix as well.

Are any of the folk or ambient albums anything like, likes say, Gillian Welch or Edens Bridge?

Mike

5. glhxckid

glhxckid New Member

Umm, I don't think so...None of them really have an ambient sound like the two artists you listed, but many of the bands I listed have ambient elements, though. Like, the band Callisto, they're what some people call "Doom Metal" which is really slow and atmospheric Metal with keyboards and ambient music put together, almost sounding "doomy". The band Vaakevandring has a very strong Folk feel in their music, but is considered Black Metal because of how they scream. And to answer your first question, I haven't actually heard any music by IONA, but I know they sell their CD at blastbeats.com, so maybe I have to check them out.

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

glhxckid,

Iona is an awesome band, but you might not like them. They arent doom metal, darkness metal, death metal or any other metal.

Many fans of IONA are also fans of the secular bands Yes and Genesis. I cringe when I hear that comparison because I have no interest in Yes or Genesis, and dont feel they are anywhere near as good as IONA. IONA is probably my all time favorite contemporary christian band or artist, along with Phil Keaggy.

I guess the difference between IONA and those other bands would be the overtly christian spiritual aspect of IONA's music, and also the fact that the sythisiser sounds are used in conjunction with traditional celtic instruments and instruments like saxophone and flutes and electric guitar.

IONA is basically a fusion band, blending artificially produced "celestial" sounds and great electric lead guitar with traditional acoustic musical instruments...all in a Rock/Celtic fusion context.

You might want to pick up their 2 CD live recording "Heavens Bright Sun". Its absolutly wonderful music.

Mike