1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Favorite and First Greek Textbooks

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by kathleenmariekg, Nov 30, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skimming it, I can absolutely see why you would.

I have to wait. I will be in disobedience if I buy this book. I have to stop spending. My debt is crossing a line that cannot be paid off even with a very strict budget. I have never spent money that I did not know how to pay back.

God is teaching me to trust, but not by free reign to charge. He drops the manna on his timing. This book will pop up at a used bookstore along with a coupon if I am supposed to have it now. I must proceed forward without it for now. I trust, beyond what I understand and can imagine.

2. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I once had a type-written book with a light blue cover that started teaching Greek with the book of John and explained the grammar as it popped up in each verse.

Is anyone familiar with that book? I have no idea the author or title.

3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started Greek with Dr Samuel Green's Handbook on Greek Grammar, which I very much still use today. Now I also mainly use the 3 by George Winer, Dana and Mantey, Moule, Middleton, and Robertson. All excellent for those who like to dig deep into The Word of God. :Smile

• Like Like x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    All excellent works!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what is great about that book is one can dabble into the Greek and Hebrew, and still get something from it due to word studies and intro to study tools!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which Robinson, his shorter grammar, or that big daddy bookstopper one?

7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to use one many years ago that was done on a typewriter and I think was A4 in size and paper covers. Not sure if this is the same, or who wrote it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winer was a Unitarian, like Thayer (Greek lexicon) but very useful, though some of his conclusions are theological, like on Titus 2:13

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it was either A4 or 8.5x11, but I do not know which one.

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    the one I used was very basic. is this how you remember it?

12. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ted Hildebrandt puts up a lot more amazing free resources. I e-mailed with him a couple times, years ago. He is an amazing person.

Mastering New Testament Greek – Biblical eLearning

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnNXzYjQerJglu7Uapx-ofHTkCDFX-wG_

William Ramey is also an amazing person. He started this website years ago. It is where I nailed the alphabet, handwriting, and phonics.
    Overview | NTGreek In Session

Don potter has been around for a long time too, with not just Greek, but also Spanish and English. All three of these men have been faithful servants since the early 2000s and maybe even before.
    Biblical Greek | Don Potter.net Wide Interest Website | Don Potter

13. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not get past the first few lessons. I only had the book a few weeks and was planning on using it more after a few more lessons in something else. I had to move very suddenly and I had to leave it behind. I grabbed my Machen book, an answer key, and the Ted Hildebrandt software and that was it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the time I started my program, we were still using Mounce's material. And I started just in time because they later switched to Decker's "Reading Koine Greek"...which gets mixed reviews.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I am 74 and as the saying goes you can't teach an old dog new tricks but I do know, Socrates had a run in with Hemlock, Plato had a Republic. Pythagoras has a theorem, Alexander was Great and Archimedes has a screw loose... All I know is John is a Professor of Ancient Languages and Bible, and SavedByGrace has used more Greek since he's been on here than, I seen on here since I've joined but I did take a course in language for over 3 years and used it quite well, I had to, ASL... Brother Glen:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife was making A's in Greek in college until she got sick and had to go home for a week. Then she sunk to a D. I tell my students they must not get behind or they will have a very tough time catching up. Moving would get you behind, no doubt.

17. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not studied Greek in awhile. This last move was made without any Greek textbooks at all. I will have to review from lesson 1.

I own a newer edition of Black as a Kindle book that I purchased years ago, and was able to get a used edition of the book used in the course for $5.00 including the shipping. The kindle book has some serious formatting issues that are crippling combined with my eyesight. The purchase of the Black textbook has to be my one and only book purchase for now. The rest will need to be free stuff, and I do not think that will be a problem.

My Greek goal for this winter is to merely do a good job on the course. When I finish that first goal, I will reevaluate and make a new plan centered on MY goals, whatever they are then, and that I cannot imagine yet. I plan to save up for the book that Yeshua1 suggested. The sample looks excellent.

18. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Japanese encouragement: 頑張ってください!(Ganbatte kudasai. Various meanings: do your best, keep going, work for it.)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Machen was my first. My favorite is Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, Daniel Wallace.

Honorable mention also to various books from A.T. Robertson. His grammar is weirdly arranged but he has interesting side paths. Especially some of his other books, titles which escape me now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1