1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite Fanny J.Crosby Hymns

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Rippon, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are yours? She was a Methodist, but she sure had some good doctrine in her hymns.

Savior, More Than Life
    Praise Him! Praise Him!
    All the Way My Savior Leads Me
    I Am Thine,O Lord
    Near The Cross
    Redeemed

Blessed Assurance and He Hideth My Soul are my top two favorites.

Feel free to share other hymns which you appreciate. She wrote a couple more :)

2. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My father's book Songs of Glory: Stories of 300 Great Hymns and Gospel Songs (William J. Reynolds, Zondervan Press, 1990), contains the stories behind several of Fanny Crosby's hymns. Perhaps the most unusual story concerns "To God Be the Glory". It was originally published in 1875, but, for some unknown reason, it was not picked up by later publishers of collections of gospel songs and hymns. In 1954, Cliff Barrows was compiling a songbook for the Billy Graham Crusade meetings in London, England. Someone suggested he include this song, but he was unfamiliar with it. He was persuaded, and it became a favorite. He brought it back and used it later the same year in crusade meetings at Vanderbilt University's football stadium in Nashville.

Dad's book is no longer in print, but there are a few copies available on Amazon: [URL="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=reynolds+-+%22Songs+of+Glory%22&x=15&y=15[/URL]. (Let me know if you or anyone else decides to spring for the $89 copy.)

Tim Reynolds

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Fantastic topic. Gospel hymnody is one of my favorite areas of study, personally. I probably need a Top Ten List. Here's mine. I'm going purely by text, not including tunes.

10. Blessed Assurance
    9. Praise Him, Praise Him!
    8. Redeemed, How I Love To Proclaim It
    7. To God Be the Glory
    6. All the Way My Savior Leads Me
    5. I Am Thine, O Lord
    4. Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross
    3. He Hideth My Soul
    2. My Savior First of All
    1. Close To Thee

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There's a story about how she wrote the words to "Blessed Assurance." The writer of the music wanted some words written for it and played it for Fanny. She exclaimed, "Oh, that sounds like "Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine!", and then she proceeded to write the words to that blessed and beautiful song.

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I've always liked, "To God be the Glory."

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Tim Sings: I came across a copy of Companion to Baptist Hymnal (c) 1976 by Broadman Press based on the Baptist Hymnal 1975 years ago. Maybe it's the "history bug" that I've had, but I enjoy reading about the stories behind our great hymns.

This book was written by William J. Reynolds and was dedicated "To four wonderful women who have brought joy and inspiration---a rich heritage of the past, a bright hope for the future---Ethel Christine Reynolds, May Lou Reynolds, Jean Kirk Reynolds, and Abigail Reynolds."

Most of its 470+ pages are filled with histories and biographies not only of people who wrote the words to the hymns, but also touches on the activities of people who compiled and published these hymns.

A truly fascinating read indeed! :thumbs:

7. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thanks, ktn4eg. I still use my dad's book regularly to address questions that come up on a Sacred Harp discussion list that I subscribe to. The women in the dedication are, in order, my grandmother, mother, wife, and daughter (who was not yet a year old at the time).

Tim Reynolds

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Is William J. Reynolds your father? If so, very cool.

My brother-in-law, during seminary at Southwestern a number of years ago, had Dr. Reynolds in a music class for future pastors.

One of the assignments was to write on the theology of a favorite hymn. After talking to me about it, he wrote on "Share His Love."

He got a 100.