1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favoritism and the "in" crowd in church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's how we do it in our church too. If you want to teach a class, teach a class. We are encouraged by our pastor to do what God leads us to do. We do not need committee approval.

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah, music ministry. On top of a tiff with the choir?

I can tell you what a friend of mine did in a similar situation. She realized her voice might not be as good as she thought, or her taste in music might differ with the church as a whole, or it might be personalities.

But she wanted and needed to sing for the Lord.

So she sang. She sang from the pew. She sang working in her yard. She sang in her home. She sang getting out of the car and going in stores, the church, wherever.

She sang so well people from other churches and venues started asking her to sing for them. She sang for them.

She did that so much she had to go buy sound equipment to sing in the city park, at the library yard, etc.

She got so popular with the folks in the region her home church hardly got the chance to hear her.

That was how Patty solved it.

She has some cd's out now.

Alma tried the same thing. No one asked her to sing. She got the drift and moved on to being bar none the best committee member ever.

Point is, do your thing. If it is confirmed with success you will get your chances to do it. If it is not, you may be mishearing what the Lord is saying.

Either way you will know.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I have a master's degree in vocal performance and teach voice. If used correctly, the female voice should last many many years. No one stays in their prime forever, but it will def still work, lol. I know a lady in her mid 80's who still goes strong.

However, surely there is spot somewhere for you to serve. Have you asked about helping in VBS or something large that needs lots of people? How about starting your own ministry? Like a senior adult choir - you could help them still learn and enjoy singing in the golden years. Or a homeschool choir, even.

I hope you find a place you fit.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Something I don't understand. I think I remember not very long ago you asking advice for a song to sing because you were asked to sing a solo. If so, then someone did try and ask you to be involved. Did you sing the solo, did you follow up to do another, or perhaps ask another to do a duet? Maybe I am missing something, or remembering wrong.

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

It turns out the man I wanted to do a duet with was on his way to starting his own minisrty, plus it was a song that was acappella,and a classic song, a pet peeve of our music director. Since the music director is also the wife of this Pastor, she said no and he said yes, dear. Oh, well! Another time, another place, Lord willing!

love,

Sopranette

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

But they did ask you do be involved, and probably not to long after you joined the church. I would recommend just picking another song, and practice it then go to them and say since the other one didn't work out I have selected this one, more to everyone's liking and would love to sing it any service that is available (Sunday morning, evening, or Wed night). Or ask a few other women if they would like to practice a women's ensemble, and get together and practice. Then as a group you can say you are ready to sing in any available service.

One more thing, I assume you did join this church, I know in my church they don't usually let people get to involved unless they are members.